Radio 2 Best Albums of the 1980's list (October 9, 2020)

That he deserved it?

That's a totally different world. Homophobic crowds aren't meant to exist & if they do they're disgraceful, not the artist.

The wee soul had this 👇 on Viva Hate & no one thought calling him a poof was bad??? I can't even say that word out loud it's so bigoted.

I'm proper shocked.

Honey, it WAS a different world. The amount of homophobic slurs the press has thrown at him over the years is staggering.

And it's still continuing on social media. People think it's okay because "Morrissey bad".

If you want your heart hurting properly watch this clip of him just moments before taking the stage at the disastrous Madstock show and look at how happy he was.

was michael jackson ever convicted of any crimes against young boys.did he ever go to jail.did macauley culkin defend him,he said he never did anything to me and i never saw him do anything to anybody else.
Watch the documentary. There’s no doubt. And no, he didn’t do jail time because he paid everyone off.

Feeling a little injured per chance? Dismissed and small, possibly?
Not at all, just curious why nobody on this site is remotely bothered by a grown man having oral sex with a young boy. Actually it explains the character of the people on here quite well. And I’ve had enough.

Not at all, just curious why nobody on this site is remotely bothered by a grown man having oral sex with a young boy. Actually it explains the character of the people on here quite well. And I’ve had enough.
So have we. You know where the door is (although you clearly don’t use it to get out much).

American radio listeners would never vote The Stone Roses, ABC, or the Human League in their top 10 80s albums. Not even in the top 50! But where's Kate Bush? I thought she was adored by the British public. Hounds of Love is better than any of these albums! In fact, there are NO WOMEN on the list at all!!

Americans would probably put Bruce Springsteen, the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy on the list. Maybe REM, Talking Heads, or the Pixies too.

American radio listeners would never vote The Stone Roses, ABC, or the Human League in their top 10 80s albums. Not even in the top 50! But where's Kate Bush? I thought she was adored by the British public. Hounds of Love is better than any of these albums! In fact, there are NO WOMEN on the list at all!!

Americans would probably put Bruce Springsteen, the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy on the list. Maybe REM, Talking Heads, or the Pixies too.
"All but one of the top 20 are by male artists, with the exception being Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love - which lands at number 11."

"All but one of the top 20 are by male artists, with the exception being Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love - which lands at number 11."

I'd vote it in the top 5 with Prince, Michael Jackson, the Smiths and U2. (With Paul Simon and Dire Straits not far behind)

Watch the documentary. There’s no doubt. And no, he didn’t do jail time because he paid everyone off.
any documentary can be swung either way with clever editing and pushing the narrative from the opening minute.

close the door on your way out then.

I can still remember the video to Two Tribes: extraordinary. I have the picture disc.

Christ, the 80s were ace.
I also had the 12 inch picture disc, saw frankie in Glasgow when they were touring with their second album. They were really good, and being supported by Berlin, also really good. Berlin were the in thing at the time with their no1 worldwide hit, where as frankie was about to implode, they were just wanting the tour done as everyone knew they were gonna split up ...

It depends on the list. I did listen to Beastie Boys and Public Enemy a lot in the 80's but they wouldn't be on a radio list. If it was strictly what was played on US radio you'd have to include Bruce Springsteen, Phil Collins, ZZ Top, and Huey Lewis. Even though I liked some Bruce Springsteen and Phil Collins songs I wound up hating all of them.
Tina Turner was huge, too. David Bowie's Let's Dance record was huge and I didn't like it at the time but now I do. After records like Low it seemed very artificial.
You're right that the three you mention were one hit wonders at best in the US.
Women who had big records in the 80's in the US would be Pretenders, Heart, Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna. There were also a women one hit wonders with pop hits but they'd never be on an album list.
R.E.M and Talking Heads both went from "college radio" stars to MTV stars.
New Order made some great records but were not played on US radio. towards the end of the 80's Depeche Mode and The Cure were played on MTV but you'd never see The Smiths.

I also had the 12 inch picture disc, saw frankie in Glasgow when they were touring with their second album. They were really good, and being supported by Berlin, also really good. Berlin were the in thing at the time with their no1 worldwide hit, where as frankie was about to implode, they were just wanting the tour done as everyone knew they were gonna split up ...
You’re the only person I’ve ever ‘known’ to have seen Berlin, live. To really make my day, tell me everyone left the gig disappointed because they refused to play Take My Breath Away.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the list. I did listen to Beastie Boys and Public Enemy a lot in the 80's but they wouldn't be on a radio list. If it was strictly what was played on US radio you'd have to include Bruce Springsteen, Phil Collins, ZZ Top, and Huey Lewis. Even though I liked some Bruce Springsteen and Phil Collins songs I wound up hating all of them.
Tina Turner was huge, too. David Bowie's Let's Dance record was huge and I didn't like it at the time but now I do. After records like Low it seemed very artificial.
You're right that the three you mention were one hit wonders at best in the US.
Women who had big records in the 80's in the US would be Pretenders, Heart, Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna. There were also a women one hit wonders with pop hits but they'd never be on an album list.
R.E.M and Talking Heads both went from "college radio" stars to MTV stars.
New Order made some great records but were not played on US radio. towards the end of the 80's Depeche Mode and The Cure were played on MTV but you'd never see The Smiths.

Well said. Yes, Depeche Mode and The Cure are quite popular in the U.S., more so than The Smiths and New Order for some reason. The Pretenders was a great band. Learning to Crawl was both a commercial and critical hit, so that would deserve to be on the list. Can't see Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper or Phil Collins on the list. Their all great in their own way, but too middle-of-the road. I'd say Madonna should be on the list, but she was more of a singles artist than an album artist. None of them could touch The Queen is Dead or Hounds of Love.

In the 80's I was probably listening to more records from the 60's and 70's but this is a list of current 80's records I listened to a lot. I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. Most of these are good records unless you hate the band or the style.
For the first five years of the 80's I lived in a small town with one "rock" station that played Huey Lewis and the News twelve times a day. That's why I was mostly listening to older records by Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and The Beatles, plus many random discoveries because I had friends that listened to things like Brian Eno and Fela Kuti.
1980 - Neil Young - Hawks and Doves, Talking Heads - Remain In Light, AC/DC - Back in Black, The Pretenders, Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz, Rush - Permanent Waves, Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue, David Bowie - Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
1981 - The Police - Ghost In The Machine, Rolling Stones - Tattoo You, The Pretenders - Pretenders II, Agent Orange - Living In Darkness, The Cars - Shake It Up, Neil Young - Re.act.or, Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman. New Order - Movement, Van Halen - Fair Warning, King Crimson - Discipline
1982 - Prince - 1999, Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Rush - Signals, Van Halen - Diver Down
1983 - New Order - Power, Corruption, and Lies, Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues, David Bowie - Let's Dance, The Police - Synchronicity, Bob Dylan - Infidels, U2 - War, Suicidal Tendencies
1984 - Prince - Purple Rain, The Smiths, Van Halen - 1984, Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons of Hitchhiking, The Cars - Heartbeat City, Rush - Grace Under Pressure, U2 - The Unforgettable Fire, King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
1985 - Bob Dylan - Empire Burlesque, The Smiths - Meat Is Murder, New Order - Low-Life, Run-DMC - King Of Rock
1986 - The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead. Pet Shop Boys - Please, Neil Young - Landing On Water, New Order - Brotherhood, Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill, Run-DMC - Raising Hell, Metallica - Master of Puppets
1987 - Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses, The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come, Guns'N'Roses - Appetite For Destruction, R.E.M - Document, Pet shop Boys - Actually, U2 - The Joshua Tree, Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me, Sonic Youth - Sister
1988 - Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, Morrissey - Viva Hate, R.E.M. - Green, Depeche Mode 101, Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, Dinosaur Jr - Bug, Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today
1989 - Neil Young - Freedom, The Cure - Disintegration, Madonna - Like A Prayer, New Order - Technique, Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

In the 80's I was probably listening to more records from the 60's and 70's but this is a list of current 80's records I listened to a lot. I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. Most of these are good records unless you hate the band or the style.
For the first five years of the 80's I lived in a small town with one "rock" station that played Huey Lewis and the News twelve times a day. That's why I was mostly listening to older records by Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and The Beatles, plus many random discoveries because I had friends that listened to things like Brian Eno and Fela Kuti.
1980 - Neil Young - Hawks and Doves, Talking Heads - Remain In Light, AC/DC - Back in Black, The Pretenders, Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz, Rush - Permanent Waves, Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue, David Bowie - Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
1981 - The Police - Ghost In The Machine, Rolling Stones - Tattoo You, The Pretenders - Pretenders II, Agent Orange - Living In Darkness, The Cars - Shake It Up, Neil Young - Re.act.or, Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman. New Order - Movement, Van Halen - Fair Warning, King Crimson - Discipline
1982 - Prince - 1999, Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Pink Floyd - The Final Cut, Rush - Signals, Van Halen - Diver Down
1983 - New Order - Power, Corruption, and Lies, Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues, David Bowie - Let's Dance, The Police - Synchronicity, Bob Dylan - Infidels, U2 - War, Suicidal Tendencies
1984 - Prince - Purple Rain, The Smiths, Van Halen - 1984, Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons of Hitchhiking, The Cars - Heartbeat City, Rush - Grace Under Pressure, U2 - The Unforgettable Fire, King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
1985 - Bob Dylan - Empire Burlesque, The Smiths - Meat Is Murder, New Order - Low-Life, Run-DMC - King Of Rock
1986 - The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead. Pet Shop Boys - Please, Neil Young - Landing On Water, New Order - Brotherhood, Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill, Run-DMC - Raising Hell, Metallica - Master of Puppets
1987 - Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses, The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come, Guns'N'Roses - Appetite For Destruction, R.E.M - Document, Pet shop Boys - Actually, U2 - The Joshua Tree, Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me, Sonic Youth - Sister
1988 - Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, Morrissey - Viva Hate, R.E.M. - Green, Depeche Mode 101, Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, Dinosaur Jr - Bug, Suicidal Tendencies - How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today
1989 - Neil Young - Freedom, The Cure - Disintegration, Madonna - Like A Prayer, New Order - Technique, Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Interesting to see Judas Priest on your list: my brother’s favourite band when I was growing up. They had a modest but committed following in early 80s east Manchester.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom