Randy Newman mentions Morrissey's political views - The Observer Food Monthly 21/1/18

Randy Newman: ‘I've written a song about Trump and Ivanka – but it needs a little work’ - The Observer
The great songwriter talks about politics, Toy Story and the Smiths – and why he’s never enjoyed the writing process

Extract: "He’s also a huge fan of the Smiths and the kitchen-sink dramas of the 1960s that inspired the band’s aesthetic – Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, The L-Shaped Room, This Sporting Life. Like most Smiths fans, he’s distressed to hear that Morrissey’s political views appear to have taken a rightward turn. “Shame. He’s one of the great lyricists.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree strongly. Recall his comments on Sadiq Khan, the populace of Knightsbridge, The Chinese, inter alia. There's more than a pattern there.
Yes, but I understand you have lived most of your life in a delightfully diverse area. If you had lived in SW3 like I have maybe you would be aware of how things changed. For better or worse, we should be allowed to comment. Don’t be so Northern

nobody cares what randy newman has to say. nobody even remembers who he is. he hasnt sold a record in well over 30 years.
couldnt book a tour if his life depended on it. only singing like a dork in kid movies has been able to keep him in food. ......'louiisaaanaaaa louuuuiiisannnaa'. LOL awful stuff.:crazy:

I live in London and Sadiq Khan is a shifty f***er. Nothing to do with his religion or his race. He is an appalling communicator (he gabbles when he speaks, Morrissey mentioned this), he speaks in a ridiculous contrived accent (dropping his t's to be down with the kids), he has flip-flopped on all manner of mayoral policies, and he's a New Labour career politician who was totally anti Corbyn until Corbyn's amazing 2017 election performance. An awful man. If you feel that just because someone is non-white and religious, they are beyond criticism, then you are an idiot.

Has Khan kept a single election promise yet? Fares on TfL, which he promised to freeze, have increased, his no strikes on the tube manifesto promise was quickly redefined as an aspiration after he won, the trees he promised to plant as part of his green agenda have yet to materialise, crime is going through the roof and the manifesto commitment to 80,000 new homes a year has been quietly put aside.

Perhaps if he actually did his job rather than pretend he is an international statesman there would be fewer knife and acid attacks, but of course that might eat into the time he has each day to burnish his personal reputation.

nobody cares what randy newman has to say. nobody even remembers who he is. he hasnt sold a record in well over 30 years.
couldnt book a tour if his life depended on it. only singing like a dork in kid movies has been able to keep him in food. ......'louiisaaanaaaa louuuuiiisannnaa'. LOL awful stuff.:crazy:

Randy Newman is a very successful musician, who is critically acclaimed and loved to bits by his many fans for almost fifty years.

A rightward turn? Yes, that would explain his hatred for May and Cameron, why he urged Americans to vote for Bernie Sanders, and his complements about George Galloway and J Corbyn.

I disagree strongly. Recall his comments on Sadiq Khan, the populace of Knightsbridge, The Chinese, inter alia. There's more than a pattern there.

In other words cherry picking selective "evidence" to try to prove a point, whilst completely ignoring anything valid that contradicts it. It's a well-known flaw many people have when forming arguments.

"Cherry picking is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias."

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs."

In other words cherry picking selective "evidence" to try to prove a point, whilst completely ignoring anything valid that contradicts it. It's a well-known flaw many people have when forming arguments.

"Cherry picking is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias."

"Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs."

Exactly! And what did Morrissey ever say about Khan? he said he was shifty looking or something of that manner. he has said PLENTY worse about white politicians but as soon as he says something about Khan Skinny takes that as a declaration of racism which as you says plays directly to his own confirmation bias.

The Toy Story theme song guy? Who the F cares what he thinks about Moz? Jesus.

Nowadays left and right used to define political views are meaningless words. They are mainly used to deceive people, like other words, colors or sounds are used in marketing to evoke some feelings and make people take (wrong) decisions. I dont even think they had too much sense the first time they were used. Now they shouldn't be used in serious conversations. Like racism.

Enjoy this:

It causes him distress because Morrissey's political views don't align with his? I am so sick of this holier than thou bullshit.

I don't think he has a sufficiently coherent political outlook to be classed as left or right wing. I think he's fairly politically ignorant and just attaches himself to a random assortment of anti-establishment causes. At the time of The Smiths we had Thatcher, so she provided a pretty easy target for him, but this made everyone think he was left wing. When in point of fact he was, and has always been, a trolling opportunist.
This. He isn't right wing or left wing. If wings were involved at all, he'd be a Kiwi, because that bird just wouldn't fly. People said he was easily led, and they were half right.

Nowadays left and right used to define political views are meaningless words. They are mainly used to deceive people, like other words, colors or sounds are used in marketing to evoke some feelings and make people take (wrong) decisions. I dont even think they had too much sense the first time they were used. Now they shouldn't be used in serious conversations. Like racism.

Yes, but I understand you have lived most of your life in a delightfully diverse area. If you had lived in SW3 like I have maybe you would be aware of how things changed. For better or worse, we should be allowed to comment. Don’t be so Northern

We need more northerners!

MV5BNjRhYzk2NDAtYzA1Mi00MmNmLWE1ZjQtMDBhZmUyMTdjZjBiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjk1Njg5NTA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

He's a millionaire several times over for simply poncing about on a stage. He's scarcely a spokesperson for the workers. He is decidedly of the right, anti-establishment cant notwithstanding.

As usual you people are missing a huge point. He wrote "I Love LA" which is obviously one of Steve's favorite songs. It never ceases to amaze me how you foreigners here have always got to put anti-American spins on everything.

Because you americans are so touchy which makes it even more fun to do. You should worry about the demise of LA politically where people who live there wanna break free from LA and go their own way.

#LeaveLA

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom