Rank Morrissey's 21st century LPs

This is a great thread because it reveals we all have quite different opinions when it comes to his post Maladjusted output. Some put Refusal at the top and some put Quarry at the bottom. Well I did anyway. As far as bad songs and lyrics go I nominate America Is Not The World. It sounds like it was written by a high school kid. The music is good but wtf happened?

Yes, the diversity of opinions on Morrissey's output in the current millenium is quite fascinating. It suggests that he did not release an obvious classic this century, no V & I or Bona Drag so to speak. At the same time, many fans have been able to find something worthwhile in his post 2000 offerings. I also fail to see a broad consensus on a supposed decline in the quality of his artistic output.

Yes, the diversity of opinions on Morrissey's output in the current millenium is quite fascinating. It suggests that he did not release an obvious classic this century, no V & I or Bona Drag so to speak. At the same time, many fans have been able to find something worthwhile in his post 2000 offerings. I also fail to see a broad consensus on a supposed decline in the quality of his artistic output.
I find more than something worthwhile in his recent albums, I can say I love them all, more or less. And I don't see any decline. His band is Top.

1. You Are The Quarry - 87.5
2. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 86.4%
3. Low In High School - 87.5%
4. Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 85.5%
5. World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 85%
6. Years Of Refusal - 85%

I gave all the tracks a rating out of 10 and then worked out the percentage, but still put them in order of how much I like each album and it almost worked out accordingly.

If some of the bonus tracks on World Peace replaced some of the album tracks, this would possibly make 2nd so there isn’t much difference in any of them really. Seems odd putting Years Of Refusal at the bottom as I still love this album and have fond memories of the tour, but this proves this is a very strong period of Morrissey's career. They are all better than Kill Uncle, Southpaw and Maladjusted.

1. You Are The Quarry - 87.5
2. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 86.4%
3. Low In High School - 87.5%
4. Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 85.5%
5. World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 85%
6. Years Of Refusal - 85%

I gave all the tracks a rating out of 10 and then worked out the percentage, but still put them in order of how much I like each album and it almost worked out accordingly.

If some of the bonus tracks on World Peace replaced some of the album tracks, this would possibly make 2nd so there isn’t much difference in any of them really. Seems odd putting Years Of Refusal at the bottom as I still love this album and have fond memories of the tour, but this proves this is a very strong period of Morrissey's career. They are all better than Kill Uncle, Southpaw and Maladjusted.

I agree this is a strong period for him, too much nostalgia blinds our judgement of the present ;)

Updated ranking:

1. You are the quarry... 143 points
2. I am not a dog... 124 points
3. World peace... 115 points
4. Ringleader… 97 points
5. Years of refusal… 90 points
6. Low in high school... 72 points

1. Dog on the chain
2. World peace
3. Years of refusal
4. Low in high school (mainly for the music - words are awful)
5. Ringleaders
6. You are a quarry

1. You Are The Quarry (2 disc version with b-sides)
2. World Peace Is None Of Your Business (with bonus tracks)
3. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
4. Years Of Refusal
5. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
6. Low In High School

1. Quarry
2. Dog
3. Refusal
4. ROTT
5. WP
6. LIHS

1. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
2. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
3. Low In High School
4. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
5. You Are The Quarry
6. Years Of Refusal

1. You are the Quarry
2. Ringleader of the Tormentors
3. I am Not a Dog on a Chain
4. Years of Refusal
5. Low in High School
6. World Peace

Quarry is the only one that has good songs. Production couldn't be flatter, but it is what it is. The rest I can barely think about, they're all awful.

1. Quarry
2. Refusal
3. Ringleader
4. Dog
5. World Peace
6. Low in High School

Quarry is the only one that has good songs. Production couldn't be flatter, but it is what it is. The rest I can barely think about, they're all awful.

You don't like anything on Ringleader? Or Refusal?

I'm pleased that I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is getting so many points.
Good to see.

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
Low In High School
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Years Of Refusal
You Are The Quarry
California Son
Ringleader(have not heard)
why don't you hop over to youtube and have a listen,most people think its a very good album.

Back
Top Bottom