Rank the 4 Smiths studio albums

You have Strangeways top? Why, cos Morrissey & Marr like it best. It’s the shittest smiths album by a mile, it’s far to polished, you lose the rawness and the atmosphere of what the Smiths actually are. None of the songs say anything that the previous 3 albums never said. Their Debut is the best by far.

Slow down young keyboard warrior

Death of a Disco Dancer - one of my all time favs
I won’t share you - I mean come on
Last night? Need I say more?
Ok - Paint a vulgar picture - one of Moz/Marrs best

I love their debut as well - I love all of the albums
I just don’t think their first annihilates the others

Strangeways, is their most experimental and i think is better than QID. My favorite Smiths opener

What was keyboard warrior like about that? Don’t get antsy about a difference of opinion. No one is right or wrong. Thanks for not thumbs downing the comment tho, I really appreciate that, must’ve been hard to resist.

LEADERBOARD (update)

1/ The Queen Is Dead (39)
2/ Meat is Murder (37)
3/ Strangeways, Here We Come (33)
4/ The Smiths (31)

1) The Smiths
2) The Queen Is Dead
3) Strangeways, Here We Come
4) Meat Is Murder

1 Meat is Murder
2 The Smiths / HoH
3The Queen is Dead
4Strangeways here we come

my nmbr 1 will be always, the other albums is so difficult...hard to make a choice

How is it, it always seems to be Anonymous that starts these rate your favourite, nonsense posts? and why can't they see how ludicrous it is that it's them that start them? If you ask a world full of Anonymous these questions you'll get every conceivable mix of answers so what is the point? It only means anything if there's a name to put the opinion with. Sign in so your opinion has some context or stop making the place untidy with drivel.

LEADERBOARD (update)

1/ The Queen Is Dead (48)
2/ Meat is Murder (44)
3/ The Smiths (41)
4/ Strangeways, Here We Come (37)

I am only sure about The Smiths being ranked 4.

If you ever wanted to show someone what the smiths were about, you’d get them to listen to the debut album. It’s gloomy. It’s depressing, it’s funny, dark, bleak, atmospheric, its an album that’s born from sitting in your room at night, alone with the rain bashing against your windows, pining for someone or something you can never have. It’s a very dark and twisted love album essentially, some tracks are quite hopeful but ultimately it’s a spiteful cynical take on love, (and women). I think it’s their standout album, and their most important. I don’t even think I’d be a fan it wasn’t that album.

If you ever wanted to show someone what the smiths were about, you’d get them to listen to the debut album. It’s gloomy. It’s depressing, it’s funny, dark, bleak, atmospheric, its an album that’s born from sitting in your room at night, alone with the rain bashing against your windows, pining for someone or something you can never have. It’s a very dark and twisted love album essentially, some tracks are quite hopeful but ultimately it’s a spiteful cynical take on love, (and women). I think it’s their standout album, and their most important. I don’t even think I’d be a fan it wasn’t that album.

Man, I can't argue your view of The Smiths but calling it their best is hard for me to get behind. It's a great album and it has a consistent sound and tone which makes for a cohesive listen though a bit dour. Album opener Reel Around the Fountain, the subject matter bothers me and can get me in a weird head space but i recognize it's a good, if slightly droning, song. My favorites on here are Pretty Girls Make Graves, This Charming Man, Still Ill and Suffer Little Children. Rest range from good to great but still to really put it above QID or MIM? Plus sorry if this offends but something about the sound on here gives me Unknown Pleasures vibes at times

Last edited:
Man, I can't argue your view of The Smiths but calling it their best is hard for me to get behind. It's a great album and it has a consistent sound and tone which makes for a cohesive listen though a bit dour. Album opener Reel Around the Fountain, the subject matter bothers me and can get me in a weird head space but i recognize it's a good song, if slightly droning song. My favorites on here are are Pretty Girls Make Graves, This Charming Man, Still Ill and Suffer Little Children. Rest range from good to great but still to really put it above QID or MIM? Plus sorry if this offends but something about the sound on here gives me Unknown Pleasure vibes at times

I suppose for people who purely enjoy’s their music on a surface level, then from a technical standpoint, it’s very rough around the edges and clunky in places, and Mozzas voice can be quite raw and grating. But what I’m saying is, the Debut LP epitomises what Morrissey & Marr are all about, (especially Morrissey). It’s his most intimate diary, on record. Everything they done since is by far more polished & well produced. But there’s no beating it for sheer mood and atmosphere.

I suppose for people who purely enjoy’s their music on a surface level, then from a technical standpoint, it’s very rough around the edges and clunky in places, and Mozzas voice can be quite raw and grating. But what I’m saying is, the Debut LP epitomises what Morrissey & Marr are all about, (especially Morrissey). It’s his most intimate diary, on record. Everything they done since is by far more polished & well produced. But there’s no beating it for sheer mood and atmosphere.

I can respect that. Though i feel MIM did what the first album set to do but better.

Is the debut album the one you listen to the most?

The Smiths
The Queen Is Dead
Meat Is Murder
Strangeways Here We Come

Back
Top Bottom