reaction to Morrissey playing This Charming Man

M

MuteWitness616

Yeah 2 years ago Morrissey did this Charming Man live for the first time in years many many years...

What was your reaction?

My reaction was, 'Hmm, well, this is something to think about now, but a thread about it two years on will probably be irrelevant.'

"Irrelevant" to what, exactly? "Irrelevant" when you consider all the new things Morrissey has been doing lately that we could discuss instead? It's a good discussion point, IMO.

To answer the question, I had it "spoiled" for me before I saw the show. I would have loved to see have seen it without knowing he'd play that. But my reaction was essentially surprise and joy. Especially because singing that taboo kind of leaves the door open for Morrissey maybe, just maybe, singing 'Heaven Knows...' and 'I Know It's Over' one day.

I was unbelievably excited when I heard he'd started playing it.

Then I heard it and was excited no more.

I know he probably wants to 'update' it or whatever but jeez, dropping the frikkin riff - one of the most exciting riffs and opening few seconds of any song ever - and replacing it with fat lumbering blustery guitar chords just ruined it.

Just imagine...you didn't know or even think for one second he'd play TCM...then all of a sudden THAT riff starts up - f***, you'd lose your minds! It would've been amazing.

But nope, just made it sound like something off YoR. Sigh.

I know he probably wants to 'update' it or whatever but jeez, dropping the frikkin riff - one of the most exciting riffs and opening few seconds of any song ever - and replacing it with fat lumbering blustery guitar chords just ruined it.

Just imagine...you didn't know or even think for one second he'd play TCM...then all of a sudden THAT riff starts up - f***, you'd lose your minds! It would've been amazing.

This. :( he made it unrecognisable. Tobias is a waste of space.

I liked it a lot. The vocals that is.

I liked the vocals on the ROSS show f.e. Way better than the old version. He's just a better singer nowadays... which is just a result of experience and progression.

my thoughts exactly.

"Irrelevant" to what, exactly? "Irrelevant" when you consider all the new things Morrissey has been doing lately that we could discuss instead? It's a good discussion point, IMO.

Irrelevant because it was discussed ad nauseam when it happened -- people bitching and moaning about the missing Marr lead, how Jesse and co. 'butchered' it. This is not exactly one of those things you can bring up new points on years later, as if it were a studio album or something like that. He did it, he obviously had no problem with the way it was done because he KEPT doing it, people had their opinions on it. Seems like the pace of his entire career to me. Nothing new to see here. Maybe there's not a lot new to discuss, but that doesn't mean we get desperate for conversation.

Agreed,the riff destroyed it for me,I mean I was delighted to hear him sing it again,but that riff was like somebody dragging a giraffes neck over the fret board...

I liked it.

Wow, this thread sucks. Here's another worthless question to ponder:

Why did Morrissey fire Mike Farrell? He was good!

Re: Mike Farrell

Morrissey didn't sack Mikey who has young children and decided to stop touring, stay with his family.

Hopefully Mikey will work with Morrissey again near future.

Me too. It was the song I had been most excited about when I was going to see him in concert. I was disappointed. Funnily, the song that turned out to be my favorite part of the concert was How soon is now, the song I didn't want him to play because I thought they would ruin it.

my thoughts exactly.
Welcome to the forum Mozzersmandan!:)

I was always under the impression that Moz did not want to do a Smiths cover version as it would be compared to Johnnys melodic version and the Mozs band would be slaughtered. So instead he did a cover version of This Charming Man inspired by Death cab for cutie. Having listened to their version I am convinced I am right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NmXSuNBA8

Anyone agree?

Irrelevant because it was discussed ad nauseam when it happened -- people bitching and moaning about the missing Marr lead, how Jesse and co. 'butchered' it. This is not exactly one of those things you can bring up new points on years later, as if it were a studio album or something like that. He did it, he obviously had no problem with the way it was done because he KEPT doing it, people had their opinions on it. Seems like the pace of his entire career to me. Nothing new to see here. Maybe there's not a lot new to discuss, but that doesn't mean we get desperate for conversation.

Hmm... I see what you mean. I didn't think about it that way. You're probably right.

On a seperate note, I can't believe that was really two years ago! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom