1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
Directions:

FOR THE STREUSEL: Combine flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and toss with fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms large chunks withr some pea-sizesd pieces throughout.
FOR THE MUFFINS: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°F Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin. Whisk egg in medium bowl until pale and evenly combined, about 30 seconds. Add vanilla, sugar, and zest and whisk vigorously until thick, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in melted butter; add buttermilk and whisk until combined.
Rserve 1 tablespoons flour. Whisk remaining flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Fold in egg mixture until nearly combined. Toss blueberries with reserved flour and fold into batter until just combined.
Divide batter in muffin tin and top with streusel. Bake until light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of mfflin comes out with a few dry crumbs attached, 23-27 minutes. Cool muffins in tin for 20 minutes, then carefully transfer muffins to rack to cook completely. Muffins can be stored in airtight container at toom temperature for 3 days.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/blueberry-streusel-muffins-332731?oc=linkback

Last edited:
Whats the texture of veggie mince, Iona? Will it disintegrate if I rustle up a curry and eat the rest tomorrow?

If I say it is a little on the spongy side that sounds disgusting doesn't it?

It's very much like mince, well, what I can remember of mince. The problem (advantage?) is that it has very little flavour. Most flavour from meat comes from the fats. As vegetarian mince is quite low in fat (although can be quite high in salt) you do have to throw a lot of flavour at it.

It will hold up though to long periods of cooking and reheating. I've used it in curries if I am making a keema but I've also put it in spag bol, chilli, nachos, used it to fill cabbage rolls. It's very versatile.

It's very much like mince, well, what I can remember of mince. The problem (advantage?) is that it has very little flavour. Most flavour from meat comes from the fats. As vegetarian mince is quite low in fat (although can be quite high in salt) you do have to throw a lot of flavour at it.

It will hold up though to long periods of cooking and reheating. I've used it in curries if I am making a keema but I've also put it in spag bol, chilli, nachos, used it to fill cabbage rolls. It's very versatile.

Thanks, I'll give that keema a whirl.

Bet the chilli is a treat on nachos and melted cheese and jalps

One of my favorite salad dressing recipes.

Lime-Balsamic Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons olive oil
coarse salt
fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

Whisk vinegar with honey and lime juice in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; add salt and pepper to taste.

This will keep in the fridge for about a week in a covered container.

Back
Top Bottom