Recordstore.co.uk: EMI reissue Morrissey singles box sets in stock for 11 May, 2019

Recordstore are selling the item as described:
Release Date: 11 May, 2019
£37.99 - pre-order.

47268_47182_20190412_164609.jpg

Box 1:
https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recor...les-88-91-10-x-7-inch-singles-Box/0LOP0000000

Box 2:
https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recor...gles-91-95-9-x-7-inch-Singles-Box/63YV0E3I000

I suspect this will go down like a lead balloon given Moz asking people to boycott their reissue back in 2009:

20190412_165856.jpg

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-280-1305133

Thanks to @crotty32 for the initial info.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if these boxes are a reissue, or, just old stock of the original 7” boxes ?

I suspect old stock as i have seen these on some european websites from time to time, at about the original retail price

Does anyone know if these boxes are a reissue, or, just old stock of the original 7” boxes ?

I suspect old stock as i have seen these on some european websites from time to time, at about the original retail price
As per page one of the thread:
Old stock available again.
For some reason being 'pre-sold' instead of just sold.
Regards,
FWD.

I don't get it, how can he not be receiving royalties? Surely he's legally entitled to royalties as a co-writer of the songs, at the very least?

Well Moz saying ‘don’t buy it’ over ten years ago. Enough changed since then that he ok’d Smiths remasters and the Queen is Dead set. Did he not make money from EMI because of the money he owed Joyce at the time?

I'm buying the box sets just because Morrissey said not too. The guy probably still has the first dollar he ever made.

what a load of old cosh, I guess the revenue from low ticket sales isn't working - guess we will have to reissue the back catalogue to stay relevant.

what are those words Uncleskinny uses "It's all about the money!"

California son is broke!!!!!

Morrissey created his own zero-sum game when his narcissism led him to alienate those who would help him - in favour of a fat advance on Viva Hate and through to Your Arsenal. He gave up the the right to bitch and moan when he sold his own narcissistic soul. THAT’S the industry, kids.

He could have played it differently. ...kept at least a part of publishing and a constant royalty but he saw stars in his own eyes.

That’s fine. ...but don’t - for a SECOND - tell me that someone who’s thrown their own ball away and jacked near everyone who’s tried to help him deserves sympathy. You’re a f***ing clown, if you believe that.

He took what he took, when he took it - assuming his well was 3000 feet deeper than it’s turned out to be.

Morrissey is just another sell-out that no longer has the clout to sell-out.

Suck it up buttercups.

The perceived coolness of vinyl has generated a wave of crazy people who'll buy any old crap.
If you don’t understand the superiority of vinyl or the music that’s on these records, there’s not much anyone can do for you.

Downloads away, kiddo.

I will be buying these and at the same time send a check in the same amount directly to Morrissey(care of BMG) but I know he gets a lot of fan mail, so I’ll be sure to write in big letters on the envelope ‘royalty check for Moz’ that way he’s sure to open it.

And I hope everyone follows my example.

Why don't you hand him this envelop in person next time you see him in concert? Make sure to write "royalty cheque for Moz" in big letters. Would be interesting to see his reaction.

I don't get it, how can he not be receiving royalties? Surely he's legally entitled to royalties as a co-writer of the songs, at the very least?
My understanding is that Morrissey's royalty payments were legally diverted to Joyce, following his refusal to pay him money owed (despite losing his court case). No idea if this is still the case, or if Morrissey's debts have finally been paid off.

"Morrissey also does not approve of, and was not consulted on, the Rhino box of Smiths CDs."

What, this one? The one that says "Sleeve by: Morrissey"?

51ZCxX3Ni3L.jpg
Note the statement says he wasn't consulted on the CD box. The 7" vinyl version of this boxset came out in 2008, and clearly Morrissey was involved in that release at some point. The CD version of the boxset (which replicated all Morrissey's artwork etc from the vinyl release) didn't come out till several months later in 2009. So, by that point, something must have happened for Morrissey/Warners to have had a falling out (lack of royalties if they were all being diverted to Joyce, maybe?). At around the same time, the 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl' DVD release by Warners also go pulled, so there was clearly some major disagreement between them around this period. He also asked fans during concerts not to buy any old Smiths records.

I will be buying these and at the same time send a check in the same amount directly to Morrissey(care of BMG) but I know he gets a lot of fan mail, so I’ll be sure to write in big letters on the envelope ‘royalty check for Moz’ that way he’s sure to open it.

And I hope everyone follows my example.

Moz doesn't approve of royalty anyway, so why is he complaining?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom