Relateable Smiths/Morrissey lyrics

Optimistic Fool

off-topic
What lyrics by The Smiths and/or Morrissey do you folks find most relateable? Serious answers please :|

'Yes, you found love, but you weren't
At peace with your life
Home late, full of hate
Despise the ties that bind'

This was me to a tee for a specific portion of my life.
I'd lost a significant family member to illness, I was in a shitty relationship, someone who I had started dating only a couple months before my family member went into palliative care. I'm not sure really what I felt in that relationship, but I clinged to it for a sense of stability. A couple years later (still in the same relationship) I developed a very similar illness. I was too young for it to really be life threatening. It was a horrible period for me. I really realized I was in a shitty place. I felt a lot of guilt over how things went with my family member, and I had to seriously think about my mortality and place in the world for the first time. I'd never really looked for fights before but I used to go get blackout drunk looking for them then. Ended up breaking a few ribs in one. Had a scuffle with a work mate and lost what little respect I had there. Getting home at shitty hours. It was a shitty time. I didn't want to be in that relationship and tried to end it a few times, but it was really hard when it was the only ''positive'' thing I had going for me at the time. So welp, those last two lines in particular really resonate with me there. And now, 'I'm so glad to grow older.
To move away from those younger years'

Last edited:
Life is a pigsty, Life is nothing much to lose etc. etc. I relate to all the lyrics that are negative about life itself.

Also, "why did you stick me in self deprecating bones and skin?" I tend to be hard on myself most of the time, but sometimes mad at some outside force for making that possible.

'Yes, you found love, but you weren't
At peace with your life
Home late, full of hate
Despise the ties that bind'

This was me to a tee for a specific portion of my life.
I'd lost a significant family member to illness, I was in a shitty relationship, someone who I had started dating only a couple months before my family member went into palliative care. I'm not sure really what I felt in that relationship, but I clinged to it for a sense of stability. A couple years later (still in the same relationship) I developed a very similar illness. I was too young for it to really be life threatening. It was a horrible period for me. I really realized I was in a shitty place. I felt a lot of guilt over how things went with my family member, and I had to seriously think about my mortality and place in the world for the first time. I'd never really looked for fights before but I used to go get blackout drunk looking for them then. Ended up breaking a few ribs in one. Had a scuffle with a work mate and lost what little respect I had there. Getting home at shitty hours. It was a shitty time. I didn't want to be in that relationship and tried to end it a few times, but it was really hard when it was the only ''positive'' thing I had going for me at the time. So welp, those last two lines in particular really resonate with me there. And now, 'I'm so glad to grow older.
To move away from those younger years'

Life is a pigsty, Life is nothing much to lose etc. etc. I relate to all the lyrics that are negative about life itself.

Also, "why did you stick me in self deprecating bones and skin?" I tend to be hard on myself most of the time, but sometimes mad at some outside force for making that possible.
Yeah it seems any positive lyrics Morrissey might write aren't the ones we usually relate to

When you cycled by here began all my dreams
the saddest thing I've ever seen
and you never knew how much I really liked you
because I never even told you
oh, and I meant to

Tags
lyrics morrissey morrissey the smiths relateable relating the smiths
Back
Top Bottom