Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine

Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine (July 19, 2019)
By Kelly Rankin

Excerpt:

"Jarman worked with several music artists over the years, collaborating with the likes of the Sex Pistols, Marianne Faithful, Patti Smith and Pet Shop Boys, to name a few. But the Smiths were one of his first and most regular collaborators. ‘The Queen is Dead’ is a “Super 8 film triptych” made up of the Smiths hits; ‘The Queen is Dead,’ ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ and ‘Panic.’ It’s an amalgamation of recycled images and clips expressing Morrissey’s deep-cutting lyrics and Marr’s hit melodies. Jarman’s film is disorientating and so eighties that today, it could be mistaken as parody (and I mean this in the most positive way possible). This particular piece of work has fallen off the radar for many when looking back at the great and eclectic range of Jarman’s works, but it definitely deserves a closer look."

full

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-derek-jarman-film/

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hofmann is all over this gay artist. A homophobe trying to describe Jarman as edgy. Pathetic.

We already knew you were a prick. You don't have to go the extra mile calling FWD a c***. Put your feet up. There's plenty of time left to be a douche.

He/She is right though - as if he’s a personage of great importance. Well at least his 24hr internet patrolling and stalking has won him a mod badge, so hey-ho.

Morrissey will subsequently hate him now. Lol

Anyway Adumb, you’re a fine one to be calling anyone the c word after your antics.

The great Derek Jarman would be absolutely shocked if he could see what Morrissey has become.
He was an amazing painter, film maker, writer, sculptor and gardener.
derek.jpg

I remember this film as pretty unwatchable. Used to independent cinema as I was.

We already knew you were a prick. You don't have to go the extra mile calling FWD a c***. Put your feet up. There's plenty of time left to be a douche.

Ooooh, remember Adumb's snarling face in Germany. The looks he was giving people that day, and now he wants to act all high and mighty. Don't make me laugh!

The great Derek Jarman would be absolutely shocked if he could see what Morrissey has become.
He was an amazing painter, film maker, writer, sculptor and gardener. View attachment 51144
As mentioned above, it seems like he had the measure of Morrissey before he died: 'Not very bright'.

He was an amazing painter, film maker, writer, sculptor and gardener. View attachment 51144
He would be devastated to see what England has become. I doubt he would dwell on Morrissey.

He would be devastated to see what England has become. I doubt he would dwell on Morrissey.
He'd be saying the same kinds of things Moz says nowadays and no doubt being vilified for it.

There's no way in a million years Jarman would be celebrating the new neoliberalist global England that all the current faux-lefties are wetting their pants over. He'd be one of Moz's allies.

I reckon he'd also find the LGBT movement garish, vulgar and authoritarian. And horrifically dangerous. Telling an innocent child that they have a 100 different sexualities and genders to choose from is psychological abuse.

Old queers like Jarman wouldn't be dancing along to the status quo. No way.

He'd be saying the same kinds of things Moz says nowadays and no doubt being vilified for it.

There's no way in a million years Jarman would be celebrating the new neoliberalist global England that all the current faux-lefties are wetting their pants over. He'd be one of Moz's allies.

I reckon he'd also find the LGBT movement garish, vulgar and authoritarian. And horrifically dangerous. Telling an innocent child that they have a 100 different sexualities and genders to choose from is psychological abuse.

Old queers like Jarman wouldn't be dancing along to the status quo. No way.
Come on, stop trying to co-opt dead people to your cause. It's transparent and undignified. It's not Derek Jarman's fault your mum doesn't love you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom