Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" now ?

Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace&q

• bonus: mixed reviews, low sales, hate expressed, has made me realize this album is a piece of shit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

hmm i think im of the opposite opinion as i think many of the b-sides are ok as b-sides. especially art hounds. its a little cringy to me and i dont get what people like about it. i still wonder about action is my middle name

Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

Still fantastic after all these weeks....

I think it is a good album. The bonus tracks make it a stunning album. I'd certainly replace many tracks on the basic album with the extra ones, if I were to make a one disc cd. I love it...

I love the b-sides too. I would replace Earth is the Loneliest Planet with any of them.

On the whole, the album has grown on me favorably. Kiss Me A Lot is stuck in my head - great song.

It's better. Track-by-track review to follow.

I haven't listened to it in about 3 weeks. The fact is, in my opinion, there were 3-4 very-good-to-great songs but the all the rest ranges from fair-to-poor.

Maybe I'll give it another go tonight, just to see if I'm off my rocker. But right now here are my marks:

World Peace Is None Of Your Business C
Neal Cassady Drops Dead F *possibly the worst song he has ever recorded
I'm Not A Man C *might have been a shade higher, but it's difficult to get through some of the cringe-worthy lyrics
Istanbul A *An all-time great. A top 5 Moz song.
Earth Is The Loneliest Planet D
Staircase At The University A-
The Bullfighter Dies B- *crap lyrics saved only by the fact the music and arrangement is incredibly catchy
Kiss Me A Lot B-
Smiler With Knife C
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle F *a complete failure on every level
Mountjoy A- *this is the song I most want to see live that hasn't already been done in concert!
Oboe Concerto C-
Scandinavia D
One Of Our Own A- *Definitely should have been on the album proper
Drag The River C+
Forgive Someone B
Julie In The Weeds D
Art-hounds B+

Okay, maybe after applying grades to each song it isn't quite as bad as I wrote above. But, for me, it just does not hold together as an album.

Last edited:

sometimes in think im not a man sounds like hes watching tv and taking notes (the movie references, beeforoni, the catch phrases) . not a bad or critical thing but it always makes me think of this. still my fav song on the album by far

sometimes in think im not a man sounds like hes watching tv and taking notes (the movie references, beeforoni, the catch phrases) . not a bad or critical thing but it always makes me think of this. still my fav song on the album by far

With all of his free time he must watch a lot of TV.

I'm the only one who loves Earth. I agree that One of Our Own should have been on the album. That song is great.

With all of his free time he must watch a lot of TV.

I'm the only one who loves Earth. I agree that One of Our Own should have been on the album. That song is great.

I don't LOVE it (EITLP) but - I think all the people who think it's 'awful' are silly. The composition is powerful and works on every level.

yeah i think me and charlie are already on board as fans of earth is. you can sing it almost instantly as i often find myself doing. the hooks in the first line. as for the tv watching, bat mans at 7:30 right :) and hes taking notes for his moves from the penguin

I don't LOVE it (EITLP) but - I think all the people who think it's 'awful' are silly. The composition is powerful and works on every level.

It's catchy while driving.

I let it lie for about three weeks and played it again yesterday. Maybe one day it will spark as a whole for me, but, alas, I'm still at roughly 1/3 can't bear, 1/3 OK, 1/3 excellent-to-my-ears. I really could take a cosh to the the title track, Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, and Kick The Bride Down The Aisle - I feel a real visceral distaste for these tracks. And the "dead room" for 1:40 at the beginning of I'm Not A Man remains a maddening "artistic" choice. But fair cop if it trips your trigger - or doesn't.

Nothing would make my "top 25" Smiths/Morrissey songs - although, these days, I'm not sure if anything from ROTT or YOR would either.

I let it lie for about three weeks and played it again yesterday. Maybe one day it will spark as a whole for me, but, alas, I'm still at roughly 1/3 can't bear, 1/3 OK, 1/3 excellent-to-my-ears. I really could take a cosh to the the title track, Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, and Kick The Bride Down The Aisle - I feel a real visceral distaste for these tracks. And the "dead room" for 1:40 at the beginning of I'm Not A Man remains a maddening "artistic" choice. But fair cop if it trips your trigger - or doesn't.
Nothing would make my "top 25" Smiths/Morrissey songs - although, these days, I'm not sure if anything from ROTT or YOR would either.

Good to hear your views. I remain pretty impressed by the new album. Easily the best since Vauxhall although that says a lot about how poor the post-Vauxhall albums have generally been (as pointed out by the Record Collector review). I think there are 5 or 6 really good songs compared with the usual 2 or 3, and there are only really two I don't enjoy listening to at all.
Like you, I can't really listen to the title song or Kick the Bride but that's because of the bad lyrics (especially to World Peace). Wouldn't you agree that the music to the title song is actually pretty flipping good? One of Boz's finest compositions, even?

Good to hear your views. I remain pretty impressed by the new album. Easily the best since Vauxhall although that says a lot about how poor the post-Vauxhall albums have generally been (as pointed out by the Record Collector review). I think there are 5 or 6 really good songs compared with the usual 2 or 3, and there are only really two I don't enjoy listening to at all.
Like you, I can't really listen to the title song or Kick the Bride but that's because of the bad lyrics (especially to World Peace). Wouldn't you agree that the music to the title song is actually pretty flipping good? One of Boz's finest compositions, even?

It's middling, definitely not one of Boz's best ever in my opinion. I think it is a fairly static tune with a lot of production dressing (look! a didgeridoo! hear it? bells!). The hamfisted lyric and the overplaying by Jesse - where he was much more restrained and tasteful elsewhere on the album - kill it for me.

But I also think there is some very fine work on Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted, so what do I know? I think songs like Wide To Receive and Ambitious Outsiders are just as outre and surprising in their execution as anything on World Peace. Mexico would be another example.

i for one really enjoy the lyrics to world peace. which part is it you dont like?

I should do a track by track review....someday.

That poor 16%. At first I thought maybe it's not for them and they seem to want the early 1990s back from Moz but now having just listened to the album up loud on vinyl an hour ago my opinion is they need to clean the shit out of their ears :)

When I combine iPod, iPhone, iTunes, Spotify (RIP) and vinyl listens of this album......I have to have listened at least 100x. And I’m still not sick of it.

I can't see many of the songs becoming staple live material, the odd outing for "Kiss me a lot, Istanbull, Bullfighter and Staircase, though none of these are my favourites.

I can't see many of the songs becoming staple live material, the odd outing for "Kiss me a lot, Istanbull, Bullfighter and Staircase, though none of these are my favourites.

But a lot of us can see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom