Reviews of the Hyde Park concert

Maurice E

I've seen a few floating around including a good, if brief, one on Channel 4's teletext this morning.
Here's a nice one off 'Gigwise'.
http://www.gigwise.com/reviews/live...-guillemotswireless-festival-hyde-park-london

And now for the Moz; it’s vintage, quite simply. Three costume changes and a load of nipple sweat later, the night escalates into a brilliantly orchestrated 21-song set comprising new material, solo hits, and a select few Smiths’ favourites. With Bush-bashing and Kylie-commendations in almost equal part. Opening with ‘Last Of The Famous International Playboys’, it’s ‘What She Said’, ‘Vicar In A Tutu’ and ‘How Soon Is Now’ that get the heartiest receptions. The comeback era songs like ‘First Of The Gang To Die’ and ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’ come off brilliantly live, as Morrissey transforms into a super-human being seemingly born for playing these massive gigs. There’s even a cover of Buzzcocks’ ‘You Don’t Say You Love Me’, shamefully lost on much of the audience. New material such as 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed' impresses too, with impassioned jangling like any of his best cuts. Forget the ‘depressing’ moniker that’s attached itself to le Moz because he comes across naturally funny, and humbled by the minions. I want to invite him to a private book club, but that’s another story.
In this ever-changing musical climate, Morrissey is the eternal paradigm. And that’s the greatest achievement of them all.

I hate that prick off Channel 4. In fact I hate most people on youth telly these days.

I thought it was smart how the review on C4 Teletext's Planet Sound yesterday described his performance as 'imperious' and also as 'twitchy'.
Can someone be both imperious and twitchy ?
If anyone can........etc,etc.

here's a new one, just published.
a pretty balanced review (in my humble) from the always reliable Yahoo music site...
http://uk.launch.yahoo.com/080710/33/21zdi.html

It's not the Beck set you might have picked from the jukebox, but it sees an artist levitating naturally along his own crooked trajectory.

How much of the same applies to Morrissey though is hard to say. There are Smiths classics aplenty ("Vicar In A Tutu", "Ask", a predictably magnificent "How Soon Is Now"), but like his recent revisionist greatest hits, the set leans heavily on his recent career. And while he's arguably enjoyed a purple patch this century, with a couple of exceptions they're hardly pillars of his back catalogue. Latest single "That's How People Grow Up" is so plainly Morrissey it borders on parody, though that's not to say there isn't some evidence he's still a pert songwriter, namely in a rough, brooding and unreleased "Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed".

It can't be denied, he's on rare old form tonight, hamming it up like a Shakespearean actor undergoing a midlife crisis in a "Pop Idol" t-shirt, lambasting Kylie for her OBE, launching a vengeful veggie tirade against the onsite burger vans ("Rotting! Illness! Death!") and generally exaggerating himself tenfold to meet expectations. But these days what that amounts to isn't a precocious, sardonic poet rallying flamboyantly against the humdrum, but rather a Grumpy Old Men audition tape. We bet he's got a decent whinge about mobile phones...

by James Berry

what about our own reviews?
.. idint see any reviews of the hyde park concert
on the tour section like it happened for the irish concerts where a lot of reviews were posted there ...

what about our own reviews?
.. idint see any reviews of the hyde park concert
on the tour section like it happened for the irish concerts where a lot of reviews were posted there ...

guess there were a few over on the main site in the after show section...

yes i know but i though why not write reviews in the forums also since it has happened for the recent irish gigs here too?

I know sista, i noticed this as well. You usually get all the fun stories in the forum rather than the bitching that goes on on the main page. I just posted all my pictures on the Frink thread instead, cause that's where they belong anyway :D

I found this mildly amusing. LINK.

Morrissey fans are a strange breed. They have some decent T-shirts though. This guy in a white tee decided to stand to attention while I took his photo, which was a bit odd.

I'd been listening to "Bona Drag" all week in preparation for Morrissey and he didn't disappoint. At one point he launched into a tirade about eating meat and how it was like "putting death in your body", which made me think about becoming a vegetarian for about a second.

Unlike Jay-Z the night before, the crowd weren't middle-aged housewives. This time it was their husbands turn to boogie, grease back their hair and throw flowers at Mozza.

Morrissey finished with "How Soon Is now?", which was pretty emotional. Some guy behind me was pissed because he didn't play "There is a light". When I tried to talk to him about it he started crying uncontrollably. Bless.

Tags
reviews
Back
Top Bottom