Rick Astley recalls encounter with Morrissey - NME

Link to Tweet posted by an anonymous person in the Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread (original post):

The relevant part of the above link if you don't want NME to get a 'click through':

2: Morrissey’s re-issue of ‘The Last Of The Famous International Playboys’ features an image of Mozza and you backstage at Top Of The Pops.But which artist were you a replacement for?

“David Bowie”

CORRECT.

“I was a big Smiths fan through one of my older brothers. ‘Cos they were from Manchester, down the road from us, they made you think ‘It can happen on your own terms, taking no prisoners.’ So that was pretty crazy. But I remember the photograph. Somebody came into my dressing room and said: ‘Morrissey wants to have his photograph with you’. I’m like (Disbelieving ) ‘f*** off!’. Sure enough, he came to my room and we had a photograph and boom, that was it. I have an ambition which people would probably want to smash something or even throw-up upon hearing. I want to play a gig – probably in Manchester – where we only play Smiths songs. That would be a special evening. But then I’d also like to own a bar in Italy on the beach and just sing Sinatra songs when I’m old and grey, so I do have these flights of fancy.”

Morrissey’s cancelled his umpteenth recent UK tour, so now’s the time….

“I’m in! I’ll do it!”

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/rock-n-roll-kill-braincells-rick-astley-2438041

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey hailed "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" by Dead Or Alive (Stock Aitken Waterman's first UK No. 1 single!) "a timeless 'hallmark in British music'“.
I doubt morrissey would have been a fan of Stock Aiken Waterman manufactured pop...

photo-of-morrissey-and-pete-burns-and-smiths-pete-burns-and-morrissey-picture-id85003837

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom