Morrissey Central RINGLEADER DELUXE ! (July 17, 2020)

Morrissey’s third UK number 1 album ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’ will be issued this year by BMG for the first time.The album is presently being ‘rebooted’ by producer Tony Visconti and will feature more sections by Ennio Morricone and his orchestra from the 2005 sessions in Rome, plus a photographic booklet.The original album featured four UK hit singles, ‘You Have Killed Me’ (Number 3), ‘The Youngest Was The Most Loved’(Number 14), ‘In The Future When All’s Well’ (Number 17), ‘I Just Want To See The Boy Happy’ (Number 16).

full

I have to admit today that "Dear god" is the beginning of my problems with the late Morrissey. The hype about this collaboration with Morricone was almost unbearable. But the song and the arrangement never really reached me. Morrissey sings very high (which doesn't always work in his latter-day phase for me), the lyrics are "difficult" and the orchestra seems to me as if it was added afterwards, without any real connection to the song. It was probably supposed to be the highlight of the Rome-inspired record, but unfortunately, for me, it wasn't.
Yeah, agreed. Overwrought, overrated, maudlin and mediocre. Barf.

Cashing in on Morricone’s death. Typical Mozzz.

Except that you have to book Tony Visconti two years ahead, you don't just call him up to start work the next day.

Just an unfortunate coincidence, but don't let that prevent a bit of ignorant sneering.

I have to admit today that "Dear god" is the beginning of my problems with the late Morrissey. The hype about this collaboration with Morricone was almost unbearable. But the song and the arrangement never really reached me. Morrissey sings very high (which doesn't always work in his latter-day phase for me), the lyrics are "difficult" and the orchestra seems to me as if it was added afterwards, without any real connection to the song. It was probably supposed to be the highlight of the Rome-inspired record, but unfortunately, for me, it wasn't.
The whole of Ringleader really is just a bit rubbish. Horrible album title, pretty horrible songs. Dear God is duff, as are another 6 or 7 songs on the album. The most over-hyped and over-rated album of his career. Not the worst one though. Southpaw Grammar earns that title.
Dog on a Chain is just light years ahead of this dross. Thanks heavens he met Joe C and a bunch of new songwriters who could provide him with interesting and melodic music again.

I remember this album getting 5* reviews, but I've never been convinced. You have Killed Me is a good pop song, Life is a Pigsty is great, I just don't get the rest. A career low for me, better than LIHS, but that's about it. I love DOAC, but his voice sounds stretched and raspy on a few of the tracks - Knockabout World. He really has to find his register now and stick to it, he can't hit the high notes anymore, the words become curled at the edges. World Peace is still the most underrated Moz album!

Looking forward to this reissue hope they improve the sound. This was the first album that got me into Morrissey and I still really like most of the songs, like the way he sings on the album too seems to really push his voice if that makes sense. Hope he doesn't change the tracklist too much but agree with some other posters that Ganglord should be included.

The whole of Ringleader really is just a bit rubbish. Horrible album title, pretty horrible songs. Dear God is duff, as are another 6 or 7 songs on the album. The most over-hyped and over-rated album of his career. Not the worst one though. Southpaw Grammar earns that title.
Dog on a Chain is just light years ahead of this dross. Thanks heavens he met Joe C and a bunch of new songwriters who could provide him with interesting and melodic music again.
The album is good and fairly even, there is no bad material in MOZ'S career.
Bad is something else...!!!!!

The album is good and fairly even, there is no bad material in MOZ'S career.
Bad is something else...!!!!!
Damn right friend....Moz has always written & sang interesting songs, the casually tossed assessment that this album's bad or that album's bad always confuses me. Of course some albums can be considered career highs but I genuinely feel as a life long fan there are 13 solo albums ranging from good to great...they're are NO bad.

Damn right friend....Moz has always written & sang interesting songs, the casually tossed assessment that this album's bad or that album's bad always confuses me. Of course some albums can be considered career highs but I genuinely feel as a life long fan there are 13 solo albums ranging from good to great...they're are NO bad.
Exactly totally agree.
For me a bad album is the one that has 1 or 2 songs ,this does not happen with any Moz album,his records are from good to excellent,the masterpiece of Moz in my opinion is Vauxhall and i , have very good and excellent songs!!!
Moz is too talented.
VIVA MOZ AND THOSE OF US WHO HAVE A GOOD TASTE FOR MUSIC!!!!

Not withstanding the production and mixing issues, I can't help but think the entire Ringleader project felt rushed. It's understandable Morrissey wanted to quickly capitalize on the success of Quarry, but I think if he had taken two or three years to write it (and trim off the fat) it probably would have turned out a lot better than it is.

And while I love "You Have Killed Me" and "In The Future..." I think Jesse's other co-writes were substandard. Even the b-side "I Knew I Was Next" sounds a bit uninspired.

People don’t like ‘life is a pigsty’?

Not withstanding the production and mixing issues, I can't help but think the entire Ringleader project felt rushed. It's understandable Morrissey wanted to quickly capitalize on the success of Quarry, but I think if he had taken two or three years to write it (and trim off the fat) it probably would have turned out a lot better than it is.

And while I love "You Have Killed Me" and "In The Future..." I think Jesse's other co-writes were substandard. Even the b-side "I Knew I Was Next" sounds a bit uninspired.
Even 'You have killed me' isn't that good. It just plods along, and the lyric about being entered with a key is the kind of crap innuendo you'd expect to hear on a Tina Turner single.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom