RIP Albert Finney

Stand by...another Major Moz influence bites the dust.

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Albert Finney: British actor dies aged 82 - BBC News
Oscar-nominated British actor Albert Finney has died aged 82 after a short illness.

Excerpt:

He was a five-time Oscar nominee who began his career at the Royal Shakespeare Company before making his mark in film.

His big film break came as "angry young man" Arthur Seaton in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

He went on to star in Tom Jones, as Hercule Poirot in Murder on the Orient Express, Erin Brockovich and Skyfall.

A statement from a family spokesman said: "Albert Finney, aged 82, passed away peacefully after a short illness with those closest to him by his side.

"The family request privacy at this sad time."

39769_The_Smiths_-_The_Boy_With_The_Thorn_In_His_Side-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
(re: inner sleeve photo of QID / Salford Lads Club pic).

"Morrissey chose that location because he associates it with another hero, the actor Albert Finney, star of the magnificent 60s film Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

"Finney was the Northern boy made good which is why I can relate to him even more."

"I find that mood of a Northern person going to London and then returning home very poignant. You can't describe how you feel when you go from South to North, stopping at the service stations. It hits a deafening note. The beauty of Finney was his natural quality as an actor. Even when I'm asleep I can't look natural.""

(Morrissey interviewed by Max Bell in No. 1, June 28, 1986).

1102.jpg

(Passions cites the following quote, but has no reference. It is actually from an interview by Barney Hoskyns in The Smiths' Winning Ways/ These Disarming Men, New Musical Express, February 4, 1984).

"What about films?
"Well, at the moment I'm completely handcuffed to Saturday Night And Sunday Morning, which I will never ever tire of, and I find it disturbing that I can watch particular scenes for the hundred and twelfth time and I'm still caught unawares by a line which I have said repeatedly throughout the day. I can't describe the poetry that film has for me, especially that of Albert Finney in the Arthur Seaton role."

saturday-night-and-sunday-morning-1960-002-rachel-roberts-albert-finney-beer-00o-clr.jpg

RIP.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Very sad. A true Salford lad and an absolute acting legend. He directed Charlie Bubbles as well, of course.

Last edited:
‘Mam called me barmy when I told her I fell of a gasometer for a bet. But I'm not barmy, I'm a fighting pit prop that wants a pint of beer, that's me. But if any knowing bastard says that's me I'll tell them I'm a dynamite dealer waiting to blow the factory to kingdom come. I'm me and nobody else. Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not because they don't know a bloody thing about me! God knows what I am.

- Arthur Seaton from ‘Saturday night and Sunday morning’

Just think how many less Smiths songs we would have if it wasn’t for films like ‘Saturday night and Sunday morning’, ‘Billy Liar’ and of course ‘ A taste of honey’.

Last edited:
Another actor ruined by Hollywood after a series of fantastic films on home soil.

Money talks Sweden swaggers!

Very sad news today about Albert Finney. As a teenager - a teenage Moz fan trying to absorb absolutely EVERYTHING the man ever cited as an influence - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning became staple viewing alongside the likes of other 'kitchen sink' dramas like Poor Cow, a Taste of Honey, the L Shaped Room. But Finney's portrayal of Notts working class anti-hero Arthur Seaton was always my favourite of the bunch, and has become one of those movies I continue to go back to time and time again.

The movie taught be a couple of important points relevant to its context, and in finding my own context in life: to respect and be proud of my working class heritage, and that that the whole scene was as punk as as f***. The 'angry young man' at the heart of such cinematic endeavours spoke to something deep within me, and said more about me than punk, goth, or any counter culture that I could get my mitts on and try to take as mine, only mine.

Prior to my exposure to that movie I always eschewed anything prior to the era in which I was placed as being fusty, boring and irrelevant. Finney's portrayal of Seaton, the character's nihilism, the almost-existential nature of the situations he somehow found himself in... they could have been a product of any age, any generation. Tough as nails and so very acutely aware of the futility of life - even where other British movies portrayed a marketable-abroad stiff upper lip attitude that wasn't really what it was all about. Seaton was a British James Dean, with a million times more cool and rebellious.

It was Saturday Night and Sunday Morning along with Salinger's Catcher in the Rye that grabbed me by the lapels, shook me and told me a little about what life can sometimes really be like.

So sad. Loved him in everything.
Yes. He always seemed like a nice guy. He was great as the boss in Erin Brockovich, and Skyfall, Friday Night Sat Morning, the list goes on. I won't mention Annie. Oops I just did!
A big loss, and reasonably young too. I hope he got to enjoy his later years.

The sheer horror of dying and people going on about your effort in a poxy Bond movie. I mean who in the hell takes a Bond movie seriously at all?
Sometimes them Bond fans come across as more nerdy than the Star Wars fans.
Talking about Bond in this context is like taking a Nobel prize winner in literature and instead of talking about the books that laid the foundation for getting the prize talking about something the person did in younger years to make a buck to survive at all.
Every actor wants a big house and glory so they will sell out and act in things they hate and I am sure he hated acting in something as awful as Bond which is a boring imperialistic daydream with no links to reality whatsoever.
Please don't continue talking about Bond when talking about Finney. You brits cannot make movies so stick to your poxy day time soaps like Emmerdale and Eastenders. British film died the day he evacuated to USA cause of money.
Was he a sellout?

His best one over the pond was playing a dying man in a bed. Says more about Hollywood than him.

Reckon there's a good chance of a celebrity death statement from our Steve with this one.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

The only genius in film from Salford is Mike Leigh. His latest was even filmed around those parts.

Overwhelming tributes online.
A couple from people who often feature here:

FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom