Roland Barthes

wolve

the sad punk
Not only should he be adored because of what he did as a great literary critic, but everyone should read his book "Fragments d'un discours amoureux".

Especially when your heart is broken. Especially then.

Not only should he be adored because of what he did as a great literary critic, but everyone should read his book "Fragments d'un discours amoureux".

One of those authors that all of my professors & colleagues were reading, but I never got around to. Are you reading it in French or English?

Speaking of heartbreaking reading, I just heard this Yeats poem today:

Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

Damn, this would sound gut-wrenching if Morrissey sang it. I heard it done by The Chieftains with Brenda Fricker & Anuna, but it's a bit too choral-y for my taste.

Thank you very much, but is it transelated into other languages?

I read it in Dutch actually. If you liked Goethe's "Die Leiden des jungen Werther", you should really read Barthes' book, it has so many elements of it in it to illustrate the phases of being in love.
This book was just incredibly overwhelming, and it's great just to open it at a random page and start reading.

(and indeed, a very nice poem)

But seriously, imagine how Barthes himself felt when he wrote this; a thousand times worse than readers who find some passages recognisable. I just can't get past it!

My favorite is "Barthes on Barthes".

"All (romantic) poetry and music is in this demand: I love you, je t'aime, ich liebe dich! But if by some miracle the jubilatory answer should be given, what might it be? What is the taste of fulfillment? Heine:

Doch wenn du sprichst: Ich liebe dich!
So muss ich weinen bitterlich:​

I stagger, I fall, I weep bitterly. (Love's word has its work to perform-- like a mourning.)

don't you fear structuralists and even more when they're marxists...and even more when they're french!?

helo wolvie long time no see

isn't that the same lad whose a goalkeeper, a Frenchman?

played in the national team, he won the worldcup with France once
[or the european, early this century, with Zidane as captain..
I mean not the last tournement, where Zidane gave an Italian defender
a 'header':rolleyes: in the final, afterall he was choosen best player of
the tournement]

don't start moaning about letter errors, I'm Dutch, english isn't my 4 th langauge

waves to Kewpie

Back
Top Bottom