ROTT and Rome

I`ve just returned from Rome (my first visit there) and first now I realize how big influence the city has on ROTT.

Phrases like "Now I`m walking through Rome and there is no place to move, but my hear feels free" suddenly makes a lot more sence.

Whenever I heard an ambulance I was reminded of TYWTML.(ref. the intro)

I even went to eat at Pizzeria LaMontecarlo (ref. picture on true-to-you.com)

What I don`t understand is why he chose to mention Piazza Cavour. The place wasn`t beautiful at all.

In 2006 we had many discussions of ROTT lyrics.

I'd suggest you to look up some threads in general discussion 2006 archives and read Morrissey's interviews in 2006.
You find many interesting stuff.

According to Roman / Italian users, Piazza Carvour is infamous for meeting point of gay men.

Last edited:
Morrissey has yet to do his best butt. :D

Also a very important politican during the setting up of modern Italy - that is why the squares are named after him and lots of town's have one.

I think I've read all the interviews post-ROTT but has there ever been a clear answer as to why Moz fell out of love with the city? I know he was living in a hotel and it wasn't really a home, but where did the passion go?

[douche]Is it too lame for me to mention that the best butt for any job is usually a fanny?[/douche]

he also mentioned other places which are his faves in an german interview (musikexpress) in 2006 (will scan and translate more parts of it soon in the "foreign language/non-english interviews" thread existing)

Interviewer::Whats your fave places in rome?

Moz: :The Villa Borgese.And Trastevere.But i love every stone and part in Rome.

@king leer he said something about leaving italy in the german rolling stone interview from 2009

I: "Your last album ROTT was influenced by Italy and its lifestyle there.."

M: "This (album)here, is completely different, fully different story, different mood, fully different time, completely different feelings.
I stayed for one year in Rome,and i was completely fascinated by the italian lifestyle. But i have exhausted rome, not in a cruel way... But I didnt want to overstrain their hospitality, I had to go, and then YOR emerged."

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=1078377#post1078377

my interpretation on it that he was feeling to comfortable there in italy and need a change of places to get new inspiration (didnt want to do a ROTT part2 ) to the effect that YOR sounds different than ROTT.... like for example that the ROTT lyrics are in a different vein that the YOR lyrics

Last edited:
he also mentioned other places which are his faves in an german interview (musikexpress) in 2006 (will scan and translate more parts of it soon

Interviewer::Whats your fave places in rome?
Moz: :The Villa Borgese.And Trastevere.But i love every stone and part in Rome.

@king leer he said something about leaving italy in the german rolling stone interview from 2009

I: "Your last album ROTT was influenced by Italy and its lifestyle there.."

M: "This (album)here, is completely different, fully different story, different mood, fully different time, completely different feelings.
I stayed for one year in Rome,and i was completely fascinated by the italian lifestyle. But i have exhausted rome, not in a cruel way... But I didnt want to overstrain their hospitality, I had to go, and then YOR emerged."
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=1078377#post1078377

my interpretation on it that he was feeling to comfortable there in italy and need a change of places to get new inspiration (didnt want to do a ROTT part2 ) to the effect that YOR sounds different than ROTT.... like for example that the ROTT lyrics are in a different vein that the YOR lyrics

Moz ain't a linguist beyond a few comedy tourist phrases. Living in a country where you can't speak the local lingo fluently is ok for a bit but it will never feel like home, and the novelty begins to wear off after a few months (12 in Morrissey's case)...

hej,i was just about to add (the obvious) that:cool: as well:him not speaking the language of the country he did reside...leads to not staying there for l a longer time
but i also think he also changes the place he lives in for inspiration....

I think I've read all the interviews post-ROTT but has there ever been a clear answer as to why Moz fell out of love with the city? I know he was living in a hotel and it wasn't really a home, but where did the passion go?

Got dumped ?

Back
Top Bottom