Ruhrbarone: Pondering over Morrissey by Stefan Laurin

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

Nachdenken über Morrissey
By Stefan Laurin, 4th April 2020

Lengthy article on Morrissey's concert in cologne, the new album, its reception, political views... concluding that the "Morrissey concept" is unconditional love.

"Aber man kann nicht hingehen und kurzschlüssig folgern, Morrissey sei jetzt ein Rassist, dessen Alben man, so sehr man sie mal mochte, jetzt verbrennen oder sonstwie entsorgen müsse – und gar abfeiern, dass diverse Plattenläden in den UK inzwischen entschieden haben, seine Alben nicht mehr zu verkaufen. Das ist totalitär, kunstfeindlich – und, ja, dumm. Wer so denkt und handelt, zumal als ehemaliger Fan, hat das Konzept Morrissey nie verstanden. Polemik und Provokation gehörte stets dazu, und da muss man nicht immer zustimmen, um den Künstler zu mögen. Und was das Plädoyer für Freiheit, Unkonventionalität und ein Leben jenseits von den ideologischen Vorgaben „der Gesellschaft“ betrifft, hat Morrissey sich kein Stück verändert. Er bleibt der Wilde’eske Dandy, der poetisch den Finger in Wunden legt. Manchmal ätzend. Manchmal, ja, daneben. Aber, hey: „Whatever happens, I love you“. That’s the concept."

I know you all speak and write german fluently, but lemme offer you
"My humble translation":

"But you cannot hastily conclude that Morrissey is now a racist, whose records, as much as you liked them once, have to be burned or disposed off otherwise. Or even celebrate that some music stores in the uk decided to ban his albums.

That's totalitarian, anti-artistic, and, yes, dumb.
Those who think and behave like that, esp. as former fans, never understood the concept "morrissey".
Polemics and provocation always belonged to it, and you didnt need to agree with them to like the artist.
And with regard to the plea for freedom, unconventionality, and a life beyond the ideological guidelines of "the society", Morrissey didnt change a bit.
He remains the wildesque dandy, who puts his finger poetically into wounds.
Sometimes acerbically, sometimes, yes, irrational.
But hey, "whatever happens, i love you." that's the concept."

The majority of Comments at the bottom mostly agree, one reader disagrees.

Nachdenken über Morrissey
By Stefan Laurin, 4th April 2020

Lengthy article on Morrissey's concert in cologne, the new album, its reception, political views... concluding that the "Morrissey concept" is unconditional love.

"Aber man kann nicht hingehen und kurzschlüssig folgern, Morrissey sei jetzt ein Rassist, dessen Alben man, so sehr man sie mal mochte, jetzt verbrennen oder sonstwie entsorgen müsse – und gar abfeiern, dass diverse Plattenläden in den UK inzwischen entschieden haben, seine Alben nicht mehr zu verkaufen. Das ist totalitär, kunstfeindlich – und, ja, dumm. Wer so denkt und handelt, zumal als ehemaliger Fan, hat das Konzept Morrissey nie verstanden. Polemik und Provokation gehörte stets dazu, und da muss man nicht immer zustimmen, um den Künstler zu mögen. Und was das Plädoyer für Freiheit, Unkonventionalität und ein Leben jenseits von den ideologischen Vorgaben „der Gesellschaft“ betrifft, hat Morrissey sich kein Stück verändert. Er bleibt der Wilde’eske Dandy, der poetisch den Finger in Wunden legt. Manchmal ätzend. Manchmal, ja, daneben. Aber, hey: „Whatever happens, I love you“. That’s the concept."

I know you all speak and write german fluently, but lemme offer you
"My humble translation":

"But you cannot hastily conclude that Morrissey is now a racist, whose records, as much as you liked them once, have to be burned or disposed off otherwise. Or even celebrate that some music stores in the uk decided to ban his albums.

That's totalitarian, anti-artistic, and, yes, dumb.
Those who think and behave like that, esp. as former fans, never understood the concept "morrissey".
Polemics and provocation always belonged to it, and you didnt need to agree with them to like the artist.
And with regard to the plea for freedom, unconventionality, and a life beyond the ideological guidelines of "the society", Morrissey didnt change a bit.
He remains the wildesque dandy, who puts his finger poetically into wounds.
Sometimes acerbically, sometimes, yes, irrational.
But hey, "whatever happens, i love you." that's the concept."

The majority of Comments at the bottom mostly agree, one reader disagrees.

Danke sehr, lanterns.

Back
Top Bottom