Russel Brand on Morrissey in a new NME interview

Russell Brand on his Hammersmith Apollo show, addiction, book number four, Noel and Corbyn - NME

Excerpt:
"What’s your relationship with Morrissey like? Can you be yourself around him?

“Not really. I try to be, but in a way meeting Morrissey is like meeting the avatar to my adolescent self. I’m not saying he’s adolescent, but he was the first person that made me feel like, ‘Oh it’s alright to be strange’. If he was sat next to me now, my voice would change. Noel Gallagher is f***ing Noel Gallagher, but Morrissey has a kind of…eminence. He is other-worldly, I think. I’ve got a good story about Morrissey. Check this out. I was in this really posh hotel and someone said, ‘Morrissey’s in this hotel’, and I was excited. I didn’t know him very well. And I got a phone call and it was like [He does a pitch-perfect impersonation of Moz’s lugubrious voice], ‘Hello, is that Russell Brand?’. And it was Morrissey of course. And I’d been running a bath – it was a really massive, stupid, luxurious bath, in the hotel room. But we were talking so I couldn’t say nothing, right? Thinking ‘Oh f***, Morrissey is on the phone but I’ve left the bath running’. But eventually there’s a bit of a gap so I go, ‘Morrissey I’ve left the bath running, do you mind if I just go and turn it off?’ He goes, [adopts Moz voice] ‘Oh, don’t be ridiculous! They have a special vacuum cleaner at this hotel that sucks up water. It doesn’t even matter if it overflows.’ And I went, ‘Oh okay’. I stayed on the phone for ages and when I went to the bathroom, it had overflowed really badly. I phoned up reception and goes, ‘Can you bring up that special vacuum cleaner that hoovers up the water please?’. (Laughs) And they went, ‘WHAT? There ain’t no such thing as that’. I told Morrissey and he went [harrumphs] ‘Oh well’, and brushed it off. The whole bloody bathroom was flooded…Why wouldn’t you go, ‘ Alright just turn it off then come back’? It only would have took 20 seconds! He dismissed it out of hand.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when Russel was interviewing Moz on his radio show and Moz was really egging Russel on to sing and when he eventually give in and sang. Moz just said "you really shouldn't have done that"

I think he just really enjoys making people look silly.

I remember when Russel was interviewing Moz on his radio show and Moz was really egging Russel on to sing and when he eventually give in and sang. Moz just said "you really shouldn't have done that"

I think he just really enjoys making people look silly.

Haha! :) Loving these anecdotes! Anybody have any more?

Haha! :) Loving these anecdotes! Anybody have any more?

I think it was Dermot O'Leary who said when Moz was a guest on his radio show, when they were off air, during the ads Moz would be charm personified but as soon as they went back live he would switch back into this awkward, dismissive character.

He's an odd fish isn't he. I guess that's what keeps us fascinated.

I think that if he's on the radio or tv its for promotion and I don't know, but I think he absolutely hates it. Just look at the difference when he's playing live on Jools Holland to when he's being interviewed on Jonathan Ross or almost anywhere really.

I think that if he's on the radio or tv its for promotion and I don't know, but I think he absolutely hates it. Just look at the difference when he's playing live on Jools Holland to when he's being interviewed on Jonathan Ross or almost anywhere really.

I think it depends a lot on the interviewer. You could always tell how relaxed he was on Janice Long's radio shows and also that brilliant interview on, the now sadly late Sean Hugh's show.

This is the side of Moz that is a bit distasteful. He doesn't seem to care about the little people, especially in hotels. Some poor chump,will have had to clean that up. There is also the section in Autobiography where he finds a large injured bird and he thinks he can just throw some money at hotel workers and they'll taxi it to a vet. What was stopping him from taking it?

This is the side of Moz that is a bit distasteful. He doesn't seem to care about the little people, especially in hotels. Some poor chump,will have had to clean that up. There is also the section in Autobiography where he finds a large injured bird and he thinks he can just throw some money at hotel workers and they'll taxi it to a vet. What was stopping him from taking it?

'hotel workers and they'll taxi it to a vet. What was stopping him from taking it?'

he was busy writing songs for you to listen to while you ignored the war going on in some other part of the world.

:thumb:

edit: and he's writing songs for you too Eric Hartman ! ;)

Last edited:
I guess if he did it himself he would have been photographed and splashed across the KinterNet as a daft twat. Cos you know he can't win with the press. So maybe he did the right thing getting someone else to do it. Just guessing. I think Ketamine's reply was a bit harsh!

I guess if he did it himself he would have been photographed and splashed across the KinterNet as a daft twat. Cos you know he can't win with the press. So maybe he did the right thing getting someone else to do it. Just guessing. I think Ketamine's reply was a bit harsh!

'harsh' for solo ?

I call bullshit on this whole story. No way would Brand be that naive. He’s either taking the piss or is that naive.

call it what you want. But it's true ! I should know, because I was the one helping to mop it up while M and Brand were snickering in the other room ! ;)

I call bullshit on this whole story. No way would Brand be that naive. He’s either taking the piss or is that naive.
its russel we are talking about,he is a bit thick,was reading the other day hes almost given all his money away,10 million,think hes very generous with people.

but there really are vacuum cleaners that can suck up water! i remember my aunt using one when her basement flooded.

still, i could not ever let a bathtub overflow even if the hotel did have a vacuum cleaner to suck it up. i mean, what an unnecessary nuisance. what a waste of water. and what if the water goes through the floor and drips down into the suite below you? knowing that there is a vacuum that can suck up water is really not a very good excuse for doing such a daft thing.

it was russell's fault though, not morrissey's. morrissey was probably just seeing if russell was imbued with enough common sense to go turn it off. cant blame him for being curious.

although i guess i shouldnt feel bad for asking people if i can go to the washroom (i ONLY ask because i like ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION that everything im doing is okay AT ALL TIMES--its ones of my quirks--not because i really need permission), since russell brand has to ask morrissey if he can turns his bathtub off.

Last edited:
also did the people in this "really posh hotel" actually talk in such a manner as to say "WHAT? There ain’t no such thing as that" or is that a bit of artistic license on russel's part?

Every time that monkey comes down from his tree to ditch the banana skin the journos should stay the hell away.

Free ice cream and bouncy castle when he dies from an overdose, on me.

'harsh' for solo ?
Haha yah actually I was thinking the same thing even as I typed my earlier response. Moz Solo is like spending your life in a jungle being hunted by Predator. So I guess you weren't being harsh. Just cutting some vines through the undergrowth.

Tags
morrissey russel brand

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom