Sam Esty Rayner interview at A Heart Is A Spade

Matt writes:

My brand new interview with Sam Esty Rayner (including a few Moz Qs):

A Heart Is A Spade Interview: Sam Esty Rayner - A Heart Is A Spade
By Matt | Published: September 14, 2015

Excerpt:

What kind of projects do you have on the horizon over the next few months?
More of the same and hopefully the Morrissey live concert videos I have taken will have an official release on DVD. Also, I hope to make a film of the upcoming Morrissey South America tour, which should be fascinating.

Last edited:
thats my point!!! He is like a little kid who gets to go to work for the day with their dad, except he is in his 40s and he is actually going to work with uncle stephen

i very much doubt moz is paying him, he can download amateur video from youtube as the need arises.
dont think his photography skills are in high demand so he must be unemployed.

The problem with what you've said is that a lot of people won't see the video until AFTER they purchase it. You honestly believe the audio on this piece of film is good enough to put a price tag on?

Morrissey is at a stage in his career where he shouldn't have to compromise quality. His audience doesn't deserve shoddy product and neither does he.

this sounds like a way old person perspective. yes many will be able to view and then decide if they wanna purchase. what age do you think were living in here. as to sound quality id probably wait until post production to judge. like in tangerine they upped the color in post production to give it that weird orange image. they had a budget of just over a hundred grand and while not a studio film many a movie was shot for way less. paranormal activity comes to mind which made some change i think

also to the other person about them not being real films i dont think bentley hired a little kid to make there do/commercial for them or that they hired the guy to shoot intelligent details on an iphone 5s because of budget concerns

i very much doubt moz is paying him, he can download amateur video from youtube as the need arises.
dont think his photography skills are in high demand so he must be unemployed.

yeah im pretty sure hes learning and is wealthy enough to just do what he wants with his time. id be very surprised if he was being paid

wealthy? sam? from doing what?
he cant even afford a proper video camera, he could bloody well rent one if had the funds and his attire is deplorable, he is usually seen disheveled and needing a shave struggling with a pint.

this sounds like a way old person perspective. yes many will be able to view and then decide if they wanna purchase. what age do you think were living in here. as to sound quality id probably wait until post production to judge. like in tangerine they upped the color in post production to give it that weird orange image. they had a budget of just over a hundred grand and while not a studio film many a movie was shot for way less. paranormal activity comes to mind which made some change i think

also to the other person about them not being real films i dont think bentley hired a little kid to make there do/commercial for them or that they hired the guy to shoot intelligent details on an iphone 5s because of budget concerns

o my!! the new dvd will not only have distorted audio but its going the images all will be in weird orange???
whats going on in moz world? orange in color?

he cant even afford a proper video camera, he could bloody well rent one if had the funds and his attire is deplorable, he is usually seen disheveled and needing a shave struggling with a pint.

Jealous, jealous, jealous. Sam is an extremely attractive man and ages well like his Uncle. I thought the video was just fine.

"a way old person"? what are you? four?

everyone with a camera phone thinks they're making art -- that's what age we're living in.

the vid sucks. you're wasting your time defending it.

his wife whom someone said was roseanne cash had a string of number one songs here as has already been stated a couple of times in a couple of places but ill take yet another opportunity to say that as i like it when people succeed. i think five successful albums and two books. it would seem very silly to think you can tell a persons wealth or net worth by looking at them and what they have. a lot of people you see with nice cars and big houses are just in debt up to there eyeballs because of there ego and concern for how others see them. others still just arent concerned from what i gathered in teh interview he just doesnt seem worried about using certain "pro" cameras. its like the advice you give to children, not to judge others by how they look or to be to assumptive. i mean rich unshaven disheveled people make up like a somewhat large section of california

videography comes on many levels but im guessing trial and error just like anyone trying to casually learn something on there own for whatever reason. its not like he cant afford equipment so id guess that might indicate the level of his attempt or just a new wave of experimentation in film. tangerine was shot on an iphone is and was a hit at sundance. so was a recent bentley commercial. uneasy lies the mind was the first feature film shot on an i phone 5. im guessing youre not in the film business. or at least not lately

Is there a thing in the anonymous-pots option that you cannot use proper spelling and grammar?...

My main issue with his footage is the sound not the picture. I don't see (much of) a difference between his video and that of Live in Dallas. But it's the sound that bugs me. At first I thought it was just that I was playing it through a cellphone. But then even at home...the sound is just not good. It's listenable, but if he really wants to do this he needs to work on maybe syncing SB audio with his video. I would totally buy it if he did. But otherwise I honestly just see another decent-ish amateur Youtuber at work.

maybe hes having fun learning videography, who knows but hes clearly not concerned with being overtly professional in the technical sense

Well, maybe that's a stance he should change if he's gonna follow a millionaire musician around on tour and try to become the defacto videographer of a tour.

everyone with a camera phone thinks they're making art -- that's what age we're living in.

Yep.

Spot on. Marred spouts the most illogical arguments from his closet. He needs to get a brain transplant (and face transplant, the selfies he used to have up were hilarious)

What Marred looks like is irrelevant; he's just plain and simple an obstinate prick who is totally up Morrissey's asshole and embarrasses himself with posts like the one he made here.

Funny that after all the ribbing he took after the ridiculous "barcode" fake-sleeve art he made for Morrissey's non-singles from the last album, I felt guilty for teasing him and at some point even PMd him to say something along the lines of "hey: you're a fan, I'm a fan, no hard feelings." And he never responded, which I always found humorous.

Close. According to his "model mayhem" profile, it says he's 32.

http://m.modelmayhem.com/1087027

He looks like an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Marred looks like is irrelevant; he's just plain and simple an obstinate prick who is totally up Morrissey's asshole and embarrasses himself with posts like the one he made here.

Funny that after all the ribbing he took after the ridiculous "barcode" fake-sleeve art he made for Morrissey's non-singles from the last album, I felt guilty for teasing him and at some point even PMd him to say something along the lines of "hey: you're a fan, I'm a fan, no hard feelings." And he never responded, which I always found humorous.

LOL, totally forgot about those laughable single covers. Shame, the poor soul tried so hard. *Quack Quack*

LOL, totally forgot about those laughable single covers. Shame, the poor soul tried so hard. *Quack Quack*

UCC-EAN128.gif
, though.

Is there a thing in the anonymous-pots option that you cannot use proper spelling and grammar?...

My main issue with his footage is the sound not the picture. I don't see (much of) a difference between his video and that of Live in Dallas. But it's the sound that bugs me. At first I thought it was just that I was playing it through a cellphone. But then even at home...the sound is just not good. It's listenable, but if he really wants to do this he needs to work on maybe syncing SB audio with his video. I would totally buy it if he did. But otherwise I honestly just see another decent-ish amateur Youtuber at work.

Well, maybe that's a stance he should change if he's gonna follow a millionaire musician around on tour and try to become the defacto videographer of a tour.

Yep.

He looks like an asshole.

its a choice i make about the grammar but why does it bug you so so much. it makes you sound very uptight. i mean i have a college degree and was an english major for a very long time until i switched to social psych. as for the sound im gonna wait until post production to judge. this could just be raw first footage with no edit. why should he change his stance for a millionaire musician. i dont see why he should if theyre both just doing what they want and are content to just let it be what it is

Last edited by a moderator:

the vid sucks. you're wasting your time defending it.

If you think someone has to buy it to see it and decide then yes I believe that to be an old fashioned idea. I believe you to be in sincere in your statements for the most part. Its not unexpected. The same was said about camera work when hand helds were released and people made great stuff out of those. Talent is talent and you can't buy it along with an exspensive piece of tech. Did you not like tangerine because many people did and I think it'll earn back its overhead and sale into the land of net profit just like paranormal did. If so why would people spend more money to make less back. Gonna be the future

how can you call those videos professional? they are amateur, amateur videos remain so even if you sell them on your fb site.
if this is going to happen, it must be a dry run for a pledge drive on indie gogo for then next cd, or even book, since its going to debut at 87, future publishing advances will not be quickly forthcoming.
please if you are going to release you iphone videos do not bath them in color hues. no orange video no green video.

how can you call those videos professional? they are amateur, amateur videos remain so even if you sell them on your fb site.
if this is going to happen, it must be a dry run for a pledge drive on indie gogo for then next cd, or even book, since its going to debut at 87, future publishing advances will not be quickly forthcoming.
please if you are going to release you iphone videos do not bath them in color hues. no orange video no green video.

define the word professional. again and again i refer you to the bentley doc for an even more traditional example but you refuse to address it. do you think they hired a non professional. a professional is someone who gets hired and paid and makes a living providing a service who has training and skill. if a person who goes to artschool gets investors and shoots a movie on an iphone and makes profit and wins national awards and gets national press then whats unprofessional about it. none of the examples were exclusively sold on a fecebook page or at all from my knowledge

I agree with most of what Skylarker has said, and I get the Live in Dallas comparison, however that was shot a long time ago. This video should be better purely from a technology standpoint.

define the word professional. again and again i refer you to the bentley doc for an even more traditional example but you refuse to address it. do you think they hired a non professional. a professional is someone who gets hired and paid and makes a living providing a service who has training and skill. if a person who goes to artschool gets investors and shoots a movie on an iphone and makes profit and wins national awards and gets national press then whats unprofessional about it. none of the examples were exclusively sold on a fecebook page or at all from my knowledge

look at the video from the manchester dvd, or the video from chile from a few years ago=professional
look at sams iphone video with horrible sound=amateur

chances of the sam footage being made into a dvd= none whatsoever.

Ooooh Sammy...we're really missing you. Jack Osbourne says he can do a better back flip off the pier than you now and now we are even letting David Evan's Brit prude son Nigel be in our gang...do you really want this? We have also heard you are trying to learn your Brit accent again. You had a good thing going there with the girls with your fake Irish accent interjected with classic So-Cal surfer slang like "narley" "duuuude" and "rad".

When we get back from England were are taking you straight to the Viper Room Saturday night and then Sunday Brunch at Geoffrey's. You will get over her.

Anonymous-London 15/9/16

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom