San Jose, CA - City National Civic Auditorium (May 7, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Hand In Glove / That's How People Grow Up / Ganglord / Speedway / I Have Forgiven Jesus / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Yes, I Am Blind / The Bullfighter Dies / Life Is A Pigsty / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Trouble Loves Me / Meat Is Murder / First Of The Gang To Die / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / The National Front Disco // Asleep / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by !Viva Hate!

Merchandise image posted by !Viva Hate!:

Also posted by !Viva Hate!:

A few of the backdrops used:

Last edited:
I went to the show in San Jose last night. The forum had a large ground floor, with a U shaped seating around the floor and up above.

Morrissey is my favorite musical artist. I've been to around 25 concerts, the first in Minneapolis Kill Uncle circa 1989.

This was a good show. The first song was rather staid, but he and the band warmed up on the 2nd and it was good.

Meat is Murder was emotional and resonated to confirm my choice to go veg some years ago.

I felt there was a good mix of older new and newest songs.

The crowd was.... weird. There were a bunch of thuggish drunk hooligans next to me who kept shouting "f*** you Morrissey!" and flipping him off, and chanting "Beat LA." They exercised a muted mosh pit which was amusing but annoying. Several people around them were irate about this as the hooligans "danced" with their arms around each other holding their plastic beer cups above their heads and sloshing their neighbors.

A few times Morrissey's voice cracked as he entered songs or new keys - never a pitch problem - perhaps the voicebox wasn't as warmed up w/ this being the first stop on the tour. He was visibly annoyed, and stuck through it. Bravo Morrissey, for your professionalism even when imperfect.

Notable recollections:

Idiot shouting sarcastically "oh look at those poor chickens" during MIM.

Girls shouting that they love Morrissey and he's their dream man. Erm, got irony?

Terribly polite stage-clamorers, until the end. People rushing to moz then stopping 3 feet short, and gently coming in for a polite hug.

2 Men dragging an unconscious guy out of the middle of the floor about half-way through, showing "Get out of my way" to which most of the crowd did.

A really tall guy in front of me I had to keep creaking my neck around. I was about 1/3 back and 1/3 from left on the floor.

Good variations on the song, e.g. Hector/FOTGTD, Paris, etc.

I really enjoyed the show, Morrissey is a great performer, and I am glad I went!

I do feel that Moz's attempts to mass market to different audiences have changed the crowd, but what would you expect from a stuffy fan of 25 years?

Please post more photos of the tat he's flogging off. It's funny for some reason to see a Smiths song title on a shopping bag, a picture from live in Dallas taken 30 odd year ago, but what really makes me laugh is all this "Stretford" shit.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Why don't don't we simply rise up against these morons. If you like morrissey, when benny, brummie, Johnny posy simply reply with f*** off xunt. Stop giving these trash a platform

Rise up!
Occupy Morrissey-Solo!
Get rid of the trash!
Deny them a platform!
Down with free speech!

Or, you could actually try articulating a view that moves slightly beyond the fact that you 'like' Morrissey. What does that mean? I 'like' Morrissey, he fascinates me even as he previews 3 of the most execrable songs he's ever been involved in. The lyrics are unintentionally hilarious and the reaction of the cult 'fans' like yourself are to die for.

Or, you could just put 'benny, brummie, Johnny posy' on Ignore and get on with enjoying Morrissey on your own terms. What's not to like about yet another career car-crash head on into the sheeple cult 'fans'?

It's always a delight to see Morrissey in his element. Thanks to those who posted pics, videos, set lists, etc. of the inaugural gig (especially Real Time Viva). It adds a thick layer of excitement to the anticipation of the upcoming shows I'll be hitting up.

After reading some of the lyrical passages in Moz's book, I had high hopes for the new tunes. Musically, they range from good to great for me, but the lyrics read like bumper sticker slogans rather than that 'turn of phrase' magic Morrissey is so capable of delivering. It would be sloppy to be wholly committed to an opinion just yet -- I'll reserve final judgment until I've digested the entire LP.

I'm unclear as to why a person should feel guilty about eating what he wants to.

Vegetables are also murder, by the way...it also kills a living thing...

There are any number of fans of an artist who do not slavishly believe everything the act does. I've met rabidly homophobic Smiths fans, though that does rather do my head in...

Nice. I had respect for you as a poster but no longer do. What a stupid thing to say.
i don't think I worded that very well, I didn't mean all Americans are morons, I was talking about the ones who ruined what should have been a special moment, if you watch the video you will see moz actually stops singing because of the screaming, whooping and shouting of some of the crowd

Last edited:
Please post more photos of the tat he's flogging off. It's funny for some reason to see a Smiths song title on a shopping bag, a picture from live in Dallas taken 30 odd year ago, but what really makes me laugh is all this "Stretford" shit.

That stuff's old tour merchandise that didn't sell. Most artists have a pre-Xmas sale to clear out the crap, but I doubt TTY could cope with anything as technical as an internet shoppe. What's funny is the prices he charges for old junk.

Did anyone mention yet that this version of "First Of The Gang" is just beautiful...? :)

Regardless, while I agree that parts of World Peace is None of Your Business are lyrically clumsy (though mostly spot on in observation--at least from the vantage point of those of us who merely live in the United States) I do think it will probably fair better than Mr. Barleycorn's imagined prized song.

And I am somewhat certain that the few lyrical missteps (Police will stun you with stun guns--I get the point police brutality is a major problem in the Untied States and a series impetus * to social change, but that just seems like that could have been said…less redundantly?) are not the reason why Mr. Barleycorn is sitting at his keyboard red-faced and fuming with steam popping out of his top hat and his monocle nearly falling off from his violent convulsions of pure unbridled rage.

Chip, as in shoulder, yes?

You do seem very upset that I pointed out something you then then agreed with - that World Peace et cetera isn't very good. You called it lyrically clumsy, I called it naive, but at least it gave you the chance to jump on that dear old high horse you love so much, that anyone who disagrees with you must be a racist.

It does make me smile when the usual suspects come on a Morrissey fan site and write about me and barely mention Morrissey at all. When Irish isn't busy calling all Americans morons he likes to do the same.

It seems to me you and Irish are both extremely good examples of the type of people Brand and Morrissey have decided to market their product to. Unhappy with their lives, angry at something without knowing really what, and looking for anything that might explain their apparent inability to cope with modern life. Back in the 80s Morrissey brilliantly enunciated that for teenagers and young adults, now, as a man in his late middle age, he attempts the same thing but unable to speak to youth in the same way he tries to do so for those with what could best be described as essentially first world problems.

Morrissey has apparently taken Brand's pseudo intellectual heroin infused bullshit and set it to not very thrilling music. I hope the remaining unheard songs are sensational, but based upon the simple likelihood Morrissey would surely put what he sees as the strongest tracks on the setlist, I'm concerned.

I've said it to you before Chippy, and I'll say it again: get out there and start the revolution. Your normal excuse, that someone will stop you and you're too frightened, will no longer wash. If you are right, and you patently think you are, the populous will rise up as one in your support. I don't know what's stopping you. It's almost as if you know you are talking shit and you are just another comfortably off leftist poseur. What would Ernesto Lynch say? It's almost as if you are a plastic revolutionary like Morrissey and the Pirate Sex Pest. Like them you don't really seem to know what you want or mean. Stop yapping about the revolution and start it. Until you do I shall reserve the right to think you are full of shit.

PS: You mention both the HuffPo and the Guardian in your extended rant, both bastions of centre left thinking, both in deep financial trouble through lack of interest. The UK edition of Huff is rumoured to be on the edge of bankruptcy while the only reason the Guardian isn't the lowest selling newspaper in the country is because the other centre left paper the Independent, is clinging on to life by its fingernails.

* Do you mean "serious impediment"?

Looks like a great show. Thanks to those who posted clips. Well done Moz for still being in such fine form. Asleep sent shivers down my spine. Love WPINOYB - great to see him still taking on the system with simplicity and panache. Would love to see him performing that on some mainstream chat show like a spectre at the feast. Not sure about Bullfighter and Lonely Planet but may grown on me. Very excited about the new CD. Can't wait.

A new song called "World peace is none of your business" - MAJESTIC!!!

we'll let you know

Thanks for your review. I dont think youre stuffy at all there is definitely a changed crowd- at least what i saw last night- the older or not so old fans who want to enjoy the show, and the drunk hooligan types who probably dont even care what show they are at as long as they can party- and they ruin it for the rest of us. There was a girl last night in the right front who passed out then walked over further right and passed out again hitting her head hard on the floor.
Anyway I'm really glad Morrissey didnt get hurt (Im assuming he didnt)? I wish people would have some more respect for the Man.

who
I went to the show in San Jose last night. The forum had a large ground floor, with a U shaped seating around the floor and up above.

Morrissey is my favorite musical artist. I've been to around 25 concerts, the first in Minneapolis Kill Uncle circa 1989.

This was a good show. The first song was rather staid, but he and the band warmed up on the 2nd and it was good.

Meat is Murder was emotional and resonated to confirm my choice to go veg some years ago.

I felt there was a good mix of older new and newest songs.

The crowd was.... weird. There were a bunch of thuggish drunk hooligans next to me who kept shouting "f*** you Morrissey!" and flipping him off, and chanting "Beat LA." They exercised a muted mosh pit which was amusing but annoying. Several people around them were irate about this as the hooligans "danced" with their arms around each other holding their plastic beer cups above their heads and sloshing their neighbors.

A few times Morrissey's voice cracked as he entered songs or new keys - never a pitch problem - perhaps the voicebox wasn't as warmed up w/ this being the first stop on the tour. He was visibly annoyed, and stuck through it. Bravo Morrissey, for your professionalism even when imperfect.

Notable recollections:

Idiot shouting sarcastically "oh look at those poor chickens" during MIM.

Girls shouting that they love Morrissey and he's their dream man. Erm, got irony?

Terribly polite stage-clamorers, until the end. People rushing to moz then stopping 3 feet short, and gently coming in for a polite hug.

2 Men dragging an unconscious guy out of the middle of the floor about half-way through, showing "Get out of my way" to which most of the crowd did.

A really tall guy in front of me I had to keep creaking my neck around. I was about 1/3 back and 1/3 from left on the floor.

Good variations on the song, e.g. Hector/FOTGTD, Paris, etc.

I really enjoyed the show, Morrissey is a great performer, and I am glad I went!

I do feel that Moz's attempts to mass market to different audiences have changed the crowd, but what would you expect from a stuffy fan of 25 years?

Earth is ! It's been niggling me that it sounds like another song I've heard before, anyway after a few listens I've cracked it, The Spice Girls have a song very very similar.

Johnny I can assure you I am not at all unhappy with my life and neither am I angry at anything, I'm actually a happy- go- lucky kind of chap while you always seem to be unhappy, angry, upset, annoyed,(annoying) but we know what you're unhappy about, you blame moz because its not 1982 anymore , the smiths are finished and you have no chance of ever getting a girlfriend

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom