San Jose, CA - City National Civic Auditorium (May 7, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Hand In Glove / That's How People Grow Up / Ganglord / Speedway / I Have Forgiven Jesus / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Yes, I Am Blind / The Bullfighter Dies / Life Is A Pigsty / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Trouble Loves Me / Meat Is Murder / First Of The Gang To Die / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / The National Front Disco // Asleep / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by !Viva Hate!

Merchandise image posted by !Viva Hate!:

Also posted by !Viva Hate!:

A few of the backdrops used:

Last edited:
Johnny I can assure you I am not at all unhappy with my life and neither am I angry at anything, I'm actually a happy- go- lucky kind of chap while you always seem to be unhappy, angry, upset, annoyed,(annoying) but we know what you're unhappy about, you blame moz because its not 1982 anymore , the smiths are finished and you have no chance of ever getting a girlfriend

FYT. Which means f*** YEAH THIS.

This site is full of sad pricks who spend a considerable amount of their time to talk shitty nasty stuff about Morrissey - while claiming that they're just unsatisfied with his recent output, and so much above the average fan, which, in their simple mind, is a sad caricature with no brain capacity at all, and must be saved, lol. They're clearly demonstrating that the only person they're unhappy with is themselves. If they're so disgusted with Morrissey's recent songs, then why don't they GTSE??? Which means GO TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Am I right in thinking Spain will now get the same treatment as Canada and all future gigs will be played just over the border ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

So, we have heard some of the new songs, and they are not even close to anything Viva Hate or Arsenal era. They are more of the same weak patchwork ideas with filler.

Elvis Costello once said something to the effect that Morrissey has intriguing or creative song titles, but he forgets to do the same for the lyrics. Here is more evidence!

Asleep proves his genius.

For those who aren't moved by the new songs, I imagine it's because your lives have moved on and his has not.

For those who are claiming that some on here want him to fail, I don't know if you'll recall Bruce's A Chance To Shine fanzine because live reviews accused him of being 'artless' and 'wobbly' back then and that was 20 years ago.

Few late career works are regarded as being on a par with an artist's 'classic' work at the time of it's release.

This is exactly the point. Yes, the lyrics have lost some of the impact over the past decade, but Morrissey's weakest work trumps most current pop songs, and his best work has etched his name in music history. There is a reason that so many still follow him, a song or just a line that was so impactful that it can never be forgotten. This is what makes Morrissey magical. Just as you stated, there seems to be a greater sense of urgency for lyricists to purge their emotions when they are in their prime; I can't think of one artist who has been revered as a great songwriter who didn't produce his/her best records prior to middle-age. Dylan, Neil Young, Lennon, all of whom have been labeled as legends, followed the same pattern. Possibly, it's unavoidable. When you are young, there is the idealistic hope that you can somehow change the world, and then there is a relentless rage when you discover that you cannot. Middle-age tends to bring either bitterness or complacency, sometimes both. It's sad but usually true. Of course, I want Morrissey to lock himself away in a cottage somewhere and write songs like the earlier ones that broke my heart or expressed something that was eating away at me that I just couldn't quite articulate for myself; but if it never happens, I still have so many songs to cherish. People fail to appreciate what they have; they prefer to pine for more.

lynnda

Please post more photos of the tat he's flogging off. It's funny for some reason to see a Smiths song title on a shopping bag, a picture from live in Dallas taken 30 odd year ago, but what really makes me laugh is all this "Stretford" shit.

For an artist so obsessed with presentation and image, Moz's merch' has always been uninspired and rubbish. The last time I saw something remotely amusing and interesting were the 'Let The Right One Slip In' condoms - and that was in 1999 for Pete's sake. You don't see any other artist flogging stuff with art / pictures from a bygone era do you? And yes, f*** Stretford, I'd buy one if it said 'Moz: Beverly Hills' with "In The End Your Royalties Bring You Luxuries" emblazoned on the back. At least that would be funny.:)

Chip, as in shoulder, yes?

You do seem very upset that I pointed out something you then then agreed with - that World Peace et cetera isn't very good. You called it lyrically clumsy, I called it naive, but at least it gave you the chance to jump on that dear old high horse you love so much, that anyone who disagrees with you must be a racist.

It does make me smile when the usual suspects come on a Morrissey fan site and write about me and barely mention Morrissey at all. When Irish isn't busy calling all Americans morons he likes to do the same.

It seems to me you and Irish are both extremely good examples of the type of people Brand and Morrissey have decided to market their product to. Unhappy with their lives, angry at something without knowing really what, and looking for anything that might explain their apparent inability to cope with modern life. Back in the 80s Morrissey brilliantly enunciated that for teenagers and young adults, now, as a man in his late middle age, he attempts the same thing but unable to speak to youth in the same way he tries to do so for those with what could best be described as essentially first world problems.

Morrissey has apparently taken Brand's pseudo intellectual heroin infused bullshit and set it to not very thrilling music. I hope the remaining unheard songs are sensational, but based upon the simple likelihood Morrissey would surely put what he sees as the strongest tracks on the setlist, I'm concerned.

I've said it to you before Chippy, and I'll say it again: get out there and start the revolution. Your normal excuse, that someone will stop you and you're too frightened, will no longer wash. If you are right, and you patently think you are, the populous will rise up as one in your support. I don't know what's stopping you. It's almost as if you know you are talking shit and you are just another comfortably off leftist poseur. What would Ernesto Lynch say? It's almost as if you are a plastic revolutionary like Morrissey and the Pirate Sex Pest. Like them you don't really seem to know what you want or mean. Stop yapping about the revolution and start it. Until you do I shall reserve the right to think you are full of shit.

PS: You mention both the HuffPo and the Guardian in your extended rant, both bastions of centre left thinking, both in deep financial trouble through lack of interest. The UK edition of Huff is rumoured to be on the edge of bankruptcy while the only reason the Guardian isn't the lowest selling newspaper in the country is because the other centre left paper the Independent, is clinging on to life by its fingernails.

* Do you mean "serious impediment"?

Now, now no need to get hostile. I was being sincere. In fact, I was even trying to extend the olive branch by explaining you to our friend who asked you why you were here.

Do you feel like I've misrepresented you somehow? My post was written in all earnestness--I thought they were your views--based on what you've posted on here. You certainly didn't disown any of them--you started in on yet another Mad Libs like rant. I think I can just as good as job at writing your posts as you can. It isn't very hard. They all follow the same basic structure. Surely there's a computer program for them?

Also, is there a reason other than trying to make yourself feel smart you referred to Che Guevara as Ernesto Lynch?

This is exactly the point. Yes, the lyrics have lost some of the impact over the past decade, but Morrissey's weakest work trumps most current pop songs, and his best work has etched his name in music history. There is a reason that so many still follow him, a song or just a line that was so impactful that it can never be forgotten. This is what makes Morrissey magical. Just as you stated, there seems to be a greater sense of urgency for lyricists to purge their emotions when they are in their prime; I can't think of one artist who has been revered as a great songwriter who didn't produce his/her best records prior to middle-age. Dylan, Neil Young, Lennon, all of whom have been labeled as legends, followed the same pattern. Possibly, it's unavoidable. When you are young, there is the idealistic hope that you can somehow change the world, and then there is a relentless rage when you discover that you cannot. Middle-age tends to bring either bitterness or complacency, sometimes both. It's sad but usually true. Of course, I want Morrissey to lock himself away in a cottage somewhere and write songs like the earlier ones that broke my heart or expressed something that was eating away at me that I just couldn't quite articulate for myself; but if it never happens, I still have so many songs to cherish. People fail to appreciate what they have; they prefer to pine for more.

lynnda

He's had years of time to lock himself in a cottage but he chose to lock himself in posh hotels instead !
All that time and this is the best he can come up with ?
Lynnda you have to agree it's not good enough, all is not well.

1170226_1474463552787859_565609135_n.jpg
From Jesse Tobias' instagram (8stitches9lives).
Headed:
"San Jose Rumble. Please do not Grab our Friend by the neck. You will get a Guitar Tackle. #59ers".
Regards,
FWD

I'm slightly surprised but 'The Bullfighter Dies' sounds f***ING AMAZING. Wow. I really, really, REALLY like it.

It was my first time seeing Morrissey. I am in love with him more than ever now. I would have loved for him to be right in front of me, only I am not very much of a people person so I sat gazing happily at him from my seat. He was absolutely fantastic and every time a fan was able to hug or just touch him, I nearly died inside haha. It was amazing and he's wonderful for giving people the opportunity. If I were him, that would not be something I would let my fans do. I was extremely irritated when I seen those fans bombard him on stage. That was uncalled for! Morrissey is kind enough to let people touch him and be close to him and they take advantage of that! Plus, they ruined the encore for everyone!!

Took my daughter to her first Morrissey concert, she was in heaven. We waited inline for 9 hours and got to the front row center. She has grown up listening to Moz and was thrilled that he played her two most favorite songs. Bummed the show ended like it did, for you fools that crashed our party, shame on you. 2014-05-07 12.02.24.jpg2014-05-07 21.05.29.jpg

Took my daughter to her first Morrissey concert, she was in heaven. We waited inline for 9 hours and got to the front row center. She has grown up listening to Moz and was thrilled that he played her two most favorite songs. Bummed the show ended like it did, for you fools that crashed our party, shame on you. View attachment 31722View attachment 31723

Cool pics and that's sweet that you took your daughter! My dad took me to a lot of concerts when I was a kid. I know some of our neighbors thought that was inappropriate to take a kid to concerts, but I have great memories of them all. As I am sure your daughter will as well.

ENOUGH

jesus christ,

this is 1rst gig with some new songs, give it al least time till the album

it's typical Morrissey, a new co-writer can lift it up, or ruin it, Morrissey choose to stay true to his band.

'and they say he's mentall'... giro d'Italia starts this evening in Belfast:confused:...

ps. Monty Python does 10 shows do you think their typical humour is changed?

Last edited:
I hate when people assume this. I had a chicken parma before the last Moz gig I went to and I didn't feel an ounce of guilt during that video *shrugs*
You've passed the asshole test (which equals failure). How nice for you.

Last edited:
The thing that I like the most is that the majority of you are all defending Morrissey and not necessarily the tracks. And you all have valid defenses. What's the point in the rest of you voicing such vulgar opinions? Don't buy the album if you're really THAT disappointed. Because quite frankly, this is Morrissey we're talking about and I don't think he will care in the slightest for your criticism, he does as he pleases and that's one of the main things I believe many people fell in love with him for. Yet now you shun him for it? People reject anything slightly different or varying, even in this segment of society where we have found refuge in this man purely for the fact that we ourselves aren't the same as everybody else. Other recent material includes People Are The Same Everywhere, right? Which is a decent all-round song. Stop projecting your useless rubbish and give the man some praise. For the other songs he sang, for how well he looks after being SO ill. Just give the studio recording a chance before you regret the things you're saying.

It didn't occur to me that the concert might make the news, but it did. They showed snippets of the stage invasions, and it was only then that I saw that he was "tackled". I only personally saw people making contact with him and then him walking off the stage. I thought it was the volume that put him off, not the nature . (They could've covered it in the sports segment!)

It was my first time seeing Morrissey. I am in love with him more than ever now. I would have loved for him to be right in front of me, only I am not very much of a people person so I sat gazing happily at him from my seat. He was absolutely fantastic and every time a fan was able to hug or just touch him, I nearly died inside haha. It was amazing and he's wonderful for giving people the opportunity. If I were him, that would not be something I would let my fans do. I was extremely irritated when I seen those fans bombard him on stage. That was uncalled for! Morrissey is kind enough to let people touch him and be close to him and they take advantage of that! Plus, they ruined the encore for everyone!!
Seeing him in person takes it to another level that you can't prepare for.:)
It's weird that someone would wait so long to see him only to do that. The first person who did was behind me and I wasn't ready for it. Suddenly there was a man on top of me, hitting me in the eye with I don't know what. It's too much.

Last edited:
Took my daughter to her first Morrissey concert, she was in heaven. We waited inline for 9 hours and got to the front row center. She has grown up listening to Moz and was thrilled that he played her two most favorite songs. Bummed the show ended like it did, for you fools that crashed our party, shame on you. View attachment 31722View attachment 31723

Ya, I guess she had a good time: (From her Instagram)

♛ last night was crazyyyy I had so much fun so like during the show a few people would jump up on stage here and there & stuff but towards the end of the concert during Morrissey's encore songs like 20 people started jumping on stage one after another and it was crazy and I was going nutz. I WAS IN THE FRONT ROW BTW but while everyone was jumping on stage some guy like tackled Morrissey or something and he fell to the ground and then all the band members left the stage and Morrissey got up and left too. then the lights turned on and we all had to leave. but it was pretty exciting to me. lolzzzzzzz in case anyone is wondering Morrissey is an alternative singer and I started listening to him when I was super young like 5 because my dad would always listen to him. but I was never old enough to go to any of his concerts because he's weird and his fans are crazy. like crazy. but now that I'm finally old enough so I got to go and it was amazing. I couldn't thank my Dad enough for taking me & stuff MUCHO GRACIAS btw the picture on the right was like 3 seconds before he touched my hand
Stinee.jpg

Lifetime memories :)

nice! i'm taking my son to his first full concert in a few months.
curious as to what her favorite two moz songs are...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom