Santigold lists The Smiths in Favourite Albums

More Santigold Morrissey love stuff here. I do like the Bakers Dozen pieces the Quietus does.

Didn't realise she was mates with Ishmael from Digable Planets, one of the more underrated hip-hop acts imo

My Pioneers: Santigold's Favourite Albums - The Quietus

In this week's Baker's Dozen, Santigold takes Tara Joshi through 13 favourite albums from Salt-N-Pepa to the Cocteau Twins, Fela Kuti, Nina Simone and Bad Brains, and points out that while Morrissey might have gone wrong, you can't take away what his songs once gave her

Excerpt:

The Smiths - The Smiths
The Smiths are one of my favourite bands of all time, I think I discovered them when I was 15, maybe? I was visiting my sister at college, and one of her friends was playing it – I wandered into the room, and sat down until the record was done. I still remember when I bought my first Smiths record, which was this one, and it was one of the best days of my teenage life. It was at Tower Records, and I made a lifelong friend that day. I love Morrissey's voice, and Johnny Marr's guitar playing. And even the bass lines just feel very specific to the Smiths, these walking bass lines that are just so melodic. I like how his soft singing-style contrasts with these really dark lyrics, that are often really funny in a dark way. It's so personal, and I learned a lot about lyric writing from Morrissey's approach to it. They blended a lot of different styles in their own very special way, and no one has ever outdone it. 'Still Ill' is one of my favourite songs. Humans are flawed, and I'm not excusing anything that Morrissey has said, but nobody can take away what a song meant to you in a moment. Morrissey is not my friend, but his music with the Smiths is my friend – and I love what his music meant to me.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
She loved the Smiths, just like the rest of us. She had an immediate appreciation for the vocals, guitar and bass. She admired Morrissey's multi-faceted lyrical ability during that period.

She loves that period, despite the vile shit that spews from his bitter, washed-up present-day gob. She's pretty clear on that.

Nowhere does she mention an affinity toward Morrissey's solo work. ...and I couldn't have put it better myself.

She has eclectic music taste - I can respect that. It makes me want to check out more of her stuff - I only really knew her from the work with the Beastie Boys (which was great).

Fek ye reckon mate. Reckon we've got 4 for the LA City Venice Beach co-ed basketball league. Air Steve, Santigold, John Maher, Jonesy, but we need a fifth. Reckon Alain Whyte, but I think the drive from Topanga Canyon to Venice Beach would be too long for him in his Prius.

She loved the Smiths, just like the rest of us. She had an immediate appreciation for the vocals, guitar and bass. She admired Morrissey's multi-faceted lyrical ability during that period.

She loves that period, despite the vile shit that spews from his bitter, washed-up present-day gob. She's pretty clear on that.

Nowhere does she mention an affinity toward Morrissey's solo work. ...and I couldn't have put it better myself.

“Why do you come here...”

Morrissey's comments are nothing compared to those made by Kanye West, whom the NME continues to cover with gasping breath, constantly calling him a modern genius.

Kanye recently called for slavery of blacks to be reinstated in America. Kanye is always wearing a MAGA hat (I haven't seen a pic of him without one in over a year). He is meeting with Trump and Judge Kavanaugh at the White House tomorrow. Yesterday Kanye said, "Rape victims have it coming and I hope they will be raped again."

The Morrissey whining is getting a little old. Kanye West is the enemy. He believes that Trump is "the greatest leader in the history of humanity."

“Why do you come here...”
This has got to be the douchiest comment a person can make on solo in response to a critical comment. Nearly as bad as the people on Facebook that respond in Paint A Vulgar Picture lyrics every time that the guy reissues something, or releases another greatest hits album. Surely you can do better than this.

This has got to be the douchiest comment a person can make on solo in response to a critical comment. Nearly as bad as the people on Facebook that respond in Paint A Vulgar Picture lyrics every time that the guy reissues something, or releases another greatest hits album. Surely you can do better than this.

Not really, it is a valid question.

I'm just trying to think of a band or artist that I loved in 1989 but now hate...Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Simple Minds...now I certainly don't hate any of those bands but if I did then I really wouldn't feel the need to go on a fan forum and call Neil Tennant a dick - I would just move along.

"Morrissey is not my friend"

:lbf: :sleeping:

Yes but if she met him, she’d fall to her knees! for the privilege and honor would be ALL hers.

Though the only intelligent thing she said (or didn’t say) is... that she loves Morrissey’s voice and Marrs playing, then she notes that even the bass playing is unique in what made up the Smiths,
but NO mention of the drumming by Mike ‘pickpocket ‘ Joyce?! :fearscream:

Maybe because the drumming is not worth noting as memorable or important to the greatness of the Smiths? Interesting.

:cool:

:crazy:

why are you here skinny? you are messing things up here.:mask:
go to
:frogface: forum and kvetch there.:swear

O WAIT THERE IS NO SUCH THINK AS A DRAMAJ FORUM!!:censored:

ADIOS GOODBYE.doh:

do not feel so threatened. no one on this site will be as big a douche as you are.

Moz will never be her friend. She’s far from worthy. Who the hell picks THE SMITHS as one of their favorite albums?

That is highly subjective of course. But it might just happen that you are so deeply touched by hearing a voice / tune for the first time… a sensation that she apparently had when hearing the album The Smiths" for the first time. She clearly cherishes that moment, and that is a good thing.

I also got hooked to the Smiths through that very first album too. I was very fond of "What difference does it make", dar I say it now. Being more of a rational type, and reflecting back on the sensation of eagerly awaiting a new Smiths album release that knock you out, I would pick a later album as my favorite.

I love how she had to state that Morrissey is not her friend. As if we needed the clarification. Morrissey will be crushed.

Moz will never be her friend. She’s far from worthy. Who the hell picks THE SMITHS as one of their favorite albums?

People diss Morrissey and it upsets people and then others praise his work and it seems to also upset people. The Smiths first album might be my favorite if it's how I first heard them. And for the record, yes, The Smiths is ONE of my favorite albums.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom