Sat Dec 18th - Gary Day DJs at How Does It Feel To Be Loved? in central London

ianw

Come and join us for the last Phoenix HDIF of the year. If you're just back from Bowlie and feeling the post-festival blues starting to descend, or looking for one last party before heading off for Christmas, come one, come all for a night of indiepop, northern soul, Motown, girl groups, sixties heartbreak, handclaps and happiness. We'll be playing our pick of the songs that were performed at Bowlie, a smattering of Christmas tunes from the Phil Spector album, and our usual mixture of old friends and new companions. If you're feeling sinister...or emotional...or thirsty and in need of one last dance...we're raising the curtain for the final Phoenix of the 2010. Plus we have Gary Day, who played on "Your Arsenal", "You Are The Quarry" and "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" by Morrissey, as our guest DJ, so we'll be playing more than our fair share of The Smiths and Moz songs too.

As with last year, I'll be making a compilation of girl group songs to give away on the door. There'll be 50 copies, so come early!

Indie song of the week: "Girl Like You" by Edwyn Collins. At Bowlie, Edwyn performed with Teenage Fanclub as his backing band, turning in the stand out set of the weekend. And the highlight of his set was when Edwyn stood up to sing A Girl Like You. I - along with a lot of others there - suddenly got something in their eye. He looked like he ruled the world, back on both feet again!
Soul song of the week: "Rollergirl" by Anna Karina. I meant to play this at Bowlie, but time ran away with me. Handclapping, footstomping, lip curling brilliance.

-------------

How Does It Feel To Be Loved?
Saturday Dec 18th
The Phoenix, 37 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PP, three minutes walk from Oxford Circus tube station, 9pm-3am, £4 members, £6 non members. Membership is free from www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk
Guest DJ: Gary Day (former Morrissey bassist, who played on "Your Arsenal", "You Are The Quarry" and "Ringleader Of The Tormentors")

We play:

The Smiths * The Supremes * The Go-Betweens * Dusty Springfield * Belle & Sebastian * Love * Tammi Terrell * Aztec Camera * The Ronettes * Orange Juice * Beach Boys * The Temptations * Velvet Underground * Felt * The Shangri-Las * Primal Scream * Otis Redding * The Field Mice * Dexys Midnight Runners * Camera Obscura * The Four Tops * Melba Moore * The Orchids

Come and join us for the last Phoenix HDIF of the year. If you're just back from Bowlie and feeling the post-festival blues starting to descend, or looking for one last party before heading off for Christmas, come one, come all for a night of indiepop, northern soul, Motown, girl groups, sixties heartbreak, handclaps and happiness. We'll be playing our pick of the songs that were performed at Bowlie, a smattering of Christmas tunes from the Phil Spector album, and our usual mixture of old friends and new companions. If you're feeling sinister...or emotional...or thirsty and in need of one last dance...we're raising the curtain for the final Phoenix of the 2010. Plus we have Gary Day, who played on "Your Arsenal", "You Are The Quarry" and "Ringleader Of The Tormentors" by Morrissey, as our guest DJ, so we'll be playing more than our fair share of The Smiths and Moz songs too.

As with last year, I'll be making a compilation of girl group songs to give away on the door. There'll be 50 copies, so come early!

Indie song of the week: "Girl Like You" by Edwyn Collins. At Bowlie, Edwyn performed with Teenage Fanclub as his backing band, turning in the stand out set of the weekend. And the highlight of his set was when Edwyn stood up to sing A Girl Like You. I - along with a lot of others there - suddenly got something in their eye. He looked like he ruled the world, back on both feet again!
Soul song of the week: "Rollergirl" by Anna Karina. I meant to play this at Bowlie, but time ran away with me. Handclapping, footstomping, lip curling brilliance.

-------------

How Does It Feel To Be Loved?
Saturday Dec 18th
The Phoenix, 37 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PP, three minutes walk from Oxford Circus tube station, 9pm-3am, £4 members, £6 non members. Membership is free from www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk
Guest DJ: Gary Day (former Morrissey bassist, who played on "Your Arsenal", "You Are The Quarry" and "Ringleader Of The Tormentors")

We play:

The Smiths * The Supremes * The Go-Betweens * Dusty Springfield * Belle & Sebastian * Love * Tammi Terrell * Aztec Camera * The Ronettes * Orange Juice * Beach Boys * The Temptations * Velvet Underground * Felt * The Shangri-Las * Primal Scream * Otis Redding * The Field Mice * Dexys Midnight Runners * Camera Obscura * The Four Tops * Melba Moore * The Orchids

Can I be Gary's date?

Gary's had to cancel tonight's DJ spot sadly, so in his slot we'll be hosting the Smiths and Morrissey jukebox. Request your favourite Smiths/Moz song and we'll play it for you...from 10.30-midnight. Then it'll be HDIF as normal, with a mixture of stuff including Smiths/Moz.

Tags
club gary day hdif london
Back
Top Bottom