Sell Me A Song: DAVID BOWIE

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
Ok, so I like to discover old bands (have recently been ploughing through Pulp and Suede's excellent back-catalogue) but often if you are presented with eight or so albums of quality material it's overwhelming and you end up focusing on the 'famous' songs and missing out on the hidden gems.

So I was thinking we could start some threads recommending your favourite songs by specific artists and keep them all in one place, so there is at least a theme (so we'd have a 'Suede' thread, and 'Pulp' thread, and 'Eminem' thread, an 'Alphabeat;)' thread etc)
Would be nice to have a decent reference point for these brilliant artists.

Anyway, as I've recently got loads of old Bowie albums from my uncle and want some direction.

So far I'm listening to:

Changes - Space Oddity - Ashes To Ashes - Life On Mars - Letter To Hermione - John I'm Only Dancing
but have about six albums worth to go through too, and a singles collection.

Any others?

It's not often you can say this about an artist but every single album he released from 1969-1980 are all arguably genuine classics. My personal favourites are Station to Station, Diamond Dogs, Low and Aladdin Sane however. You should just listen to the whole albums through I think.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread properly.

My favourite Bowie Songs:

Time
Bewlay Brothers
Cygnet Committee
Drive In Saturday
Golden Years
Station to Station
Always Crashing In The Same Car
Sound and Vision
Lady Grinning Soul
Sweet Things/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise)
Kooks

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bowie :)

It's tough to find a good "starting point" for getting into Bowie. As timelessmelody said, he's had a load of classic albums that are pretty varied stylistically. You might want to listen to that singles album, find songs you like from it, and give the albums that they're on (or chronologically near) a listen.

Here's some of my favorite Bowie tracks. You're asking about hidden gems, so I won't bother with the hits or newer material. However, I'd highly recommend giving the 80s/90s/00s material a chance when you're through with the old stuff. Some people like it, some don't.

Conversation Piece
Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud
We Are The Dead
Win
Fantastic Voyage
Teenage Wildlife
Joe The Lion
Station To Station (the title track, though the entire album is wonderful)
Word On A Wing
Cracked Actor
A New Career In A New Town

Jeez, I could go on and on. To hear those songs for the first time again... I'm envious of you.

All songs off "Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars"

Apart from that, here are a few others (mostly non-hits):

An occasional dream
The man who sold the world
Oh, you pretty things
Queen bitch (I prefer the Bowie at the Beeb version though)
Quicksand
Drive-in saturday
Station to station (I think the live version off the Christane F soundtrack is the best version of this song)
Wild is the wind
Speed of life
Breaking glass
Sound & Vision
Be my wife
Warszawa
Sense of doubt
Fantastic voyage

Moonage Daydream, Nine Years, Fall Dog Bombs the Moon.

i think the bootleg best ofs are the best. covers mainly early years though. i think they should have some later stuff in there aswell e.g. Tonight. anyone got the tonight? i love the iggy lust for life album and wouldn't mind a listen to bowies take on the songs
worst album by bowie is earthling...im suprised the record company even let bowie release it. anyone who's got it will understand.

Back
Top Bottom