Morrissey Central & SER YT: "You Don't Need Their Approval" - Morrissey 'Lost Demo' (October 31, 2021)

Here is new demo from Moz :D

Description:

lyrics Morrissey / music Jesse Tobias

Smile and wave and always be friendly
but you don't need their approval
for anything you want to sing about

Smile and wave and always be gentle

"but there are things that must be said
should I stay in bed and wait for someone else to say them instead?"
OH NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

oh you don't need their approval
for anything you wanna sing about

Smile and wave and always be cordial

"but there are things that must be said
should I stay in bed and wait for someone else to say them instead?"
OH NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

for anything you wanna sing about

for anything you wanna SAY.

unnamed-3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey -- I turn my back for a week or so and all these "lost demos" are out there??

Aside from the production, this reminded me of an old Kill Uncle track. After the intro wraps, it recalls backing music from an old Blur b-side (maybe the wooziness of Threadneedle Street).

Don't hate on an artist's sketches, people...

Bring on the fourth lost demo a.k.a. sketch to convince this ole heart of mine. Like he did with "Blue Dreamers" and "Sex on the lawn".

Bring on the fourth lost demo a.k.a. sketch to convince this ole heart of mine. Like he did with "Blue Dreamers" and "Sex on the lawn".
I think it's in the pipeline P&O, but he's waiting for folks to quit all their bitchin', whingein' n snipin' over these 3. Rumour has it the next demo's called 'Sketch Out & Wait'...

Compared to no other songs by anyone, merely as an audio experience, its a sack of crap.

Well, maybe it would be of some consolation to you to know that you’re opinion of this interesting song just makes me love it more.
So, thank you :thumb:

You mean the sound quality?
Naw I meant in terms of song quality, which is in the ear of the beholder. It's not really a 'demo' though and is more of an 'alternate' version that's almost ready for release so I guess it's not fair to compare it to a raw song that probably didn't progress beyond first draft. I love this version of Boy Racer though. I think this, coupled with songs like Nobody Loves Us would have elevated Southpaw Grammar back in 1995 in my exalted opinion.

Naw I meant in terms of song quality, which is in the ear of the beholder. It's not really a 'demo' though and is more of an 'alternate' version that's almost ready for release so I guess it's not fair to compare it to a raw song that probably didn't progress beyond first draft.

Well, first of all they’re different, so just that should rule out comparison.

Though in general, I don’t think it’s fair to compare songs really (I mean, I could and do, when required) But I prefer to listen to each song as if nothing has come before it. And when this perspective is applied to life, makes it all that much more enjoyable, to approach each day anew, without comparison without judgment.

Don’t laugh :blushing::lbf:

I love this version of Boy Racer though. I think this, coupled with songs like Nobody Loves Us would have elevated Southpaw Grammar back in 1995 in my exalted opinion.

agree. It seems Morrissey wanted to go for a harder sound than Vauxhall, so ....

Naw I meant in terms of song quality, which is in the ear of the beholder. It's not really a 'demo' though and is more of an 'alternate' version that's almost ready for release so I guess it's not fair to compare it to a raw song that probably didn't progress beyond first draft. I love this version of Boy Racer though. I think this, coupled with songs like Nobody Loves Us would have elevated Southpaw Grammar back in 1995 in my exalted opinion.
That is a sweet version of Boy Racer but it's a bit like a slightly slowed-down Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself. Maybe they felt Southpaw needed more of a corker.
Wholeheartedly agree on Nobody Loves Us -- possibly the greatest b-side of Morrissey's entire solo career.

a lot of them aren’t fans, or wouldn’t claim to be anymore.

But for some mental reason they continue to cling. :crazy::(
I think if someone consistently hates a huge amount of Moz's music then they are no longer fans. E.g. if I hated his last four albums (which I don't) then I'd consider myself a used-to-be-fan who might become a fan again in future. Someone thinking a demo is crap doesn't mean they are not a fan. The last thing Moz needs are yes men. Yes men have not done him any favours in the long run.

I've been to many Moz concerts, used to scramble for a VHS tape whenever he was on TV, bought his stuff on cassette, then vinyl, then CD, and now back to vinyl again. Had his posters on my wall. Still listen to him a lot, but not exclusively. So if I think a demo is crap it means I think it's crap for someone as good as Moz. Doesn't mean I'm an ex-fan or full of hate. Haters should not go to this site and should find someone else to like, or in the immortal words of Andy Garcia in (the crap) Godfather 3: "Love somebody else."

4a369c8b79310a298bfa4c2ca3e6df19e89ffcf6.gifv

P.s. I think there are three types of people on this site. (A) people who love most of Moz's music but not all. (B) people who love everything he does. (C) people who love to see him flounder/make crap music (as they see it) and who get offensive when they see positive posts from (A) or (B). Another category is people who are incapable of separating the art from the artist. But I couldn't be bothered saying what I think of them.

Last edited:
he could present to you the greatest song ever written and you would still say its shit,works both ways.
Unfortunately, the odds of Morrissey serving up a shit sandwich are far greater than him presenting the greatest song ever written.

Scandinavia is a similar example in this case. First we got to know it as the Studio in Session version and then in a new refined version it was released on the deluxe version of the World Peace album
You’re right, Scandinavia had been around in an earlier version for 3 years before appearing in a better version on the deluxe CD of the World Peace album. So there’s still hope for these songs to one day appear in a better form.

I think if someone consistently hates a huge amount of Moz's music then they are no longer fans. E.g. if I hated his last four albums (which I don't) then I'd consider myself a used-to-be-fan who might become a fan again in future. Someone thinking a demo is crap doesn't mean they are not a fan. The last thing Moz needs are yes men. Yes men have not done him any favours in the long run.

I've been to many Moz concerts, used to scramble for a VHS tape whenever he was on TV, bought his stuff on cassette, then vinyl, then CD, and now back to vinyl again. Had his posters on my wall. Still listen to him a lot, but not exclusively. So if I think a demo is crap it means I think it's crap for someone as good as Moz. Doesn't mean I'm an ex-fan or full of hate. Haters should not go to this site and should find someone else to like, or in the immortal words of Andy Garcia in (the crap) Godfather 3: "Love somebody else."

P.s. I think there are three types of people on this site. (A) people who love most of Moz's music but not all. (B) people who love everything he does. (C) people who love to see him flounder/make crap music (as they see it) and who get offensive when they see positive posts from (A) or (B). Another category is people who are incapable of separating the art from the artist. But I couldn't be bothered saying what I think of them.nk some people
For a lot of people, Morrissey has been such a huge part their lives that the current iteration of the man is hugely disappointing. I, personally have been a huge fan since Meat Is Murder. The man could do no wrong until probably World Peace and that is when he just seemed to lose his way. From the lazy songs with weak lyrics to the right leaning politics to the tacky album covers to his new lack of style...he just seemed to lose the essence of what being Morrissey used to mean. He was an enigma, he didn't feel the need to share his every waking thought. He went from being James Dean to a curmudgeonly Jim Backus. Because he was so great, hardcore fans are disappointed and expect more.

For a lot of people, Morrissey has been such a huge part their lives that the current iteration of the man is hugely disappointing. I, personally have been a huge fan since Meat Is Murder. The man could do no wrong until probably World Peace and that is when he just seemed to lose his way. From the lazy songs with weak lyrics to the right leaning politics to the tacky album covers to his new lack of style...he just seemed to lose the essence of what being Morrissey used to mean. He was an enigma, he didn't feel the need to share his every waking thought. He went from being James Dean to a curmudgeonly Jim Backus. Because he was so great, hardcore fans are disappointed and expect more.
Very balanced. Thanks for that.

P.s. I think there are three types of people on this site. (A) people who love most of Moz's music but not all. (B) people who love everything he does. (C) people who love to see him flounder/make crap music (as they see it) and who get offensive when they see positive posts from (A) or (B). Another category is people who are incapable of separating the art from the artist. But I couldn't be bothered saying what I think of them.

You forgot (D) for dicks that hate Moz’s lost demos !

just kidding.

But seriously though, I couldn’t care less if people don’t like them,
they’ve been a joy to listen to for me, no bad vibes in my life. And more joy to come with Bonfire! Can’t wait!

Never disappointed

VIVA MOZ !!!

:)

You forgot (D) for dicks that hate Moz’s lost demos !

just kidding.

But seriously though, I couldn’t care less if people don’t like them,
they’ve been a joy to listen to for me, no bad vibes in my life. And more joy to come with Bonfire! Can’t wait!

Never disappointed

VIVA MOZ !!!

:)
Er4vqUqXUAUar5h.jpeg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom