Morrissey Central & SER YT: "You Don't Need Their Approval" - Morrissey 'Lost Demo' (October 31, 2021)

Here is new demo from Moz :D

Description:

lyrics Morrissey / music Jesse Tobias

Smile and wave and always be friendly
but you don't need their approval
for anything you want to sing about

Smile and wave and always be gentle

"but there are things that must be said
should I stay in bed and wait for someone else to say them instead?"
OH NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

oh you don't need their approval
for anything you wanna sing about

Smile and wave and always be cordial

"but there are things that must be said
should I stay in bed and wait for someone else to say them instead?"
OH NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

for anything you wanna sing about

for anything you wanna SAY.

unnamed-3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Morrissey A--Z project Ketamine Sun was almost critical about some Moz tracks! Scandinavia was one of them, if I remember correctly.
KS is not the biggest fan of YATQ as far as I can remember, BUT appears always ready to defend the songs getting the least affection by the other board member. Which is intriguing. I appreciate these dissident views, without necessarily sharing all of them.

When push comes to shove, I love and respect this positivity and I wish I felt the same. I imagine it makes life a lot easier.
I have to say, it was difficult but strangely liberating to concede to listening friends—when it was played for the first time on Russel Brand’s radio show—that That’s How People Grow Up was absolutely shocking. Thereafter, I was trusted to guide them to good Morrissey material—and being a Morrissey fan became much more affordable: I bought zero formats of that single rather than the usual three.

Similar joy would come with the release of Paris as a single. Them were the days. It’s almost annoying that he’s hit form again recently.

I have to say, it was difficult but strangely liberating to concede to listening friends—when it was played for the first time on Russel Brand’s radio show—that That’s How People Grow Up was absolutely shocking. Thereafter, I was trusted to guide them to good Morrissey material—and being a Morrissey fan became much more affordable: I bought zero formats of that single rather than the usual three.

Similar joy would come with the release of Paris as a single. Them were the days. It’s almost annoying that he’s hit form again recently.
Interesting! I’ve never really understood that myself. Buying a single or an album in several formats, I mean. I usually buy just one. I’ve never equated fandom/love for the artist with owning as much stuff as possible or going to the most gigs as possible. I understand buying older, specific memorabilia that appeals to you, though.

Interesting! I’ve never really understood that myself. Buying a single or an album in several formats, I mean. I usually buy just one. I’ve never equated fandom/love for the artist with owning as much stuff as possible or going to the most gigs as possible. I understand buying older, specific memorabilia that appeals to you, though.
When it comes to my favourite bands, my strategy has always been that I buy all the formats that have new content on them. If a single is released in three formats that all have a new b-side, then I'll buy all three. But I don't bother getting a vinyl or a cassette if they have the identical tracklist as the CD -- or the album in five different covers. Of course in the streaming era buying any physical format is a luxury, but I can afford it and I want to support the artist and the record shops.

I buy multiple copies, of all releases, most of which don’t get played.
I did initially harbour the logic of Eldritch - anything with a different track (I did buy each format released though - eg - LP/CD/MC) It then extended to any slight variations in sleeve artwork. Then when I had nothing left to buy in that category I was bored, so started buying other territory releases, as well as any other releases that had minor catalogue no differences. It is quite addictive, and EXPENSIVE 💰🤒😟

Reflecting on it, it’s hard for me to understand now. But it must have be a fairly widespread experience amongst music fans: the record companies were banking on it.

In the 90’s some indie bands were releasing as many as five or six different versions of the same single (7”, 12”, x2 CD, cassette, picture disc). But then the chart companies agreed they’d only recognise up to three formats; which spelled the end for cassette singles and 12” single releases (my favourite format).

When it comes to my favourite bands, my strategy has always been that I buy all the formats that have new content on them. If a single is released in three formats that all have a new b-side, then I'll buy all three. But I don't bother getting a vinyl or a cassette if they have the identical tracklist as the CD -- or the album in five different covers. Of course in the streaming era buying any physical format is a luxury, but I can afford it and I want to support the artist and the record shops.
This I can relate to. I, too, have been known to buy more than version of a single when there’s been exclusive b-sides. And don’t get me wrong, I buy records and cds on a monthly (almost weekly) basis. Mostly secondhand, though, I should admit. Except when my favorite artists release new stuff.

Last edited:
Simply allows me to enjoy life more, try it sometimes.

While most here are judging, condemning, and getting all upset over a song, ffs, I can’t get the wonderful way Morrissey sings the chorus of Approval out of my head! And the way he is talking to himself consoling and empowering himself, playing a tug of war with these thoughts that do become repetitious in one’s mind, but not giving in to them, and finally simply doing what he feels is the right thing to do. I would think we could all relate to that.
It’s also an interesting direction of music on this little tune, kind of reminds me of the way I felt when I first heard Journalists Who Lie, ooh here’s something different from Morrissey! it was a delight then and here with this song is a delight now.

The song is not the problem. It’s the way some are reacting to it.

See this, and be free !!!

VIVA MOZ !!!

Would have made a wonderful b-side for a IANADOAC single.

:cool:

Otherwise known as 'Denial'. I'll pass thanks.

I've been listening to this over and over. It's f***ing great. Slight and silly, but f***ing great.

I've been listening to this over and over. It's f***ing great. Slight and silly, but f***ing great.

True, very true.

But since it’s not as ‘good’ as Hand In Glove,etc or JimJim Falls, etc, I was told I was in ‘denial’ for
simply enjoying a song. :oops:

"if Saturday ever comes" is my favourite of the new songs by miles. I've had it on repeat since it was released. But I am very strange...

Been listening to this several times a day for a week now. It's so catchy. Love it.

:)

beautiful Moz masterpiece, what :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: would give to write such lyrics and musi, instead of resorting to making gibberish. :hammer:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom