Share your great quotes from exceptional films

"I like to think you killed a man, it's the romantic in me." --Casablanca.

"I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself slightly killed." --North by Northwest.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy, one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down." --Love and Death.

"Do you reject Satan and all his evils?" "Sure." --Ed Wood.

Perry: Go. Sleep badly. Any questions, hesitate to call.
Harry: Bad.
Perry: Excuse me?
Harry: Sleep bad. Otherwise it makes it seem like the mechanism that allows you to sleep...
Perry: What, f***head? Who taught you grammar? Badly's an adverb. Get out. Vanish.
--Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

"One night I'm gonna come to you, inside of your house, wherever you're sleeping, and I'm gonna cut your throat." --There Will Be Blood.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules." --The Big Lebowski. That whole f***ing movie is filled with amazing quotes.

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --High Fidelity.

"Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins."
"Don't be mean to me. I just wanted to flirt with you." --The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

There's so much moreeeeee to quote. Gah. A lot of the quotes I chose are better in context, though.

One of my all time favorites!

John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, f***in' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!

Kevin Lomax: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven", is that it?

John Milton: Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began. I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.

Last edited by a moderator:
All about Eve

"You're maudlin and full of self-pity. You're magnificent!"

"Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

"Nice speech, Eve. But I wouldn't worry too much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be."

"I detest cheap sentiment."

"You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider. "

It's 6mins 57 seconds in here -
[youtube]lorx65kP8us&feature=related[/youtube]

Ever After

Danielle: I would rather die a thousand deaths than see my mother's dress on that spoiled, selfish cow!

Henry: [as Danielle hurries away] Have we met?
Danielle: I-I do not believe so, Your Highness.
Henry: I could have sworn I knew every courtier in the provience.
Danielle: Well... I am visiting a cousin.
Henry: Who?
Danielle: My cousin.
Henry: Yes, you said that. Which one?
Danielle: Th-the only one I have, sire.
Henry: Are you coy on purpose or do you honestly refuse to tell me your name?
Danielle: [stops quickly] No.
[quickly heads towards the gate]
Danielle: And yes.
Henry: Well, then, pray tell me your cousin's name so that I might call upon her to learn who you are. For anyone who can quote Thomas More is well worth the effort.
Danielle: [stops] The Prince has read Utopia?
Henry: I found it sentimental and dull. Honestly, the plight of the everyday rustic bores me.
Danielle: I... take it you do not converse with many peasants.
Henry: Ha, certainly not, no. Naturally.
Danielle: [starts walking again] Forgive me, Your Highness, but there is nothing "natural" about it. A country's character is defined by its "everyday rustics," as you call them. They are the legs you stand on and that position demands *respect,* not...
Henry: Am I to understand that you find me... arrogant?
Danielle: Well, you gave one man back his life, but did you even glance at the others?
Henry: Please, I beg of you, a name. Any name.
Danielle: I... I fear the only name to leave you with... is "Comtesse Nicole du Lancre."

Amelie

Amélie: [whispering in theater] I like to look for things no one else catches. I hate the way drivers never look at the road in old American movies.

Georgette: Bravo! Vive la France! You scalded me! Bravo! Ten out of ten! Ten out of ten! Bull's eye!

Amélie Poulain: At least you'll never be a vegetable - even artichokes have hearts.

Amélie: [to her father, who is not paying attention] I had two heart attacks, an abortion, did crack... while I was pregnant. Other than that, I'm fine.

Amélie: I am nobody's little weasel.

Pretty In Pink

Blane: How are you doing?
Andie: Why haven't you called me?
Blane: Oh, I got nailed for the stable thing. I guess the groom saw us. It's against the rules.
Andie: I called you three times and i left messages.
Blane: Yeah? Well I didn't get them. My family... they're irresponsible about that stuff, you know?
Andie: I waited for you this morning.
Blane: Yeah? Where?
Andie: Parking lot. I saw you and I thought you saw me.
Blane: No.
Andie: What about prom, Blane?
Blane: Andie, I'm having a bad day. Can we talk later?
Andie: No. What about prom?
Blane: Why don't we meet after school?
Andie: No! What abot prom?
Blane: Andie, come on.
Andie: Just say it.
Blane: What?
Andie: Just say it. I wanna hear you say it.
Blane: Andie, please, all right?
Andie: I wanna hear you say it.
Blane: A month ago, I asked somebody else and I forgot.
[Andie pushes him against a locker]
Andie: You're a liar! You're a filthy, f***ing, no-good liar. You don't have the guts to tell me the truth. Just say it!
Blane: I'm not lying.
Andie: Tell me!
Blane: What do you want to hear?
Andie: Tell me!
Blane: What?
Andie: You're ashamed to be seen with me.
Blane: No, I am not!
Andie: You're ashamed to go out with me. You're terrified that you're goddamn rich friends won't approve.
[Andie hits Blane]
Andie: Just say it!
[Andie hits him again]
Andie: Just tell me the truth!
Blane: You don't understand that it has nothing at all do with you.
[Andie runs away]
Blane: [wipes a tear] Andie!

Moulin Rouge!

Christian: [to the Duke] This woman is yours now. I've paid my whore.
[to Satine]
Christian: I owe you nothing. And you are nothing to me. Thank you for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with love.

Satine: Tell our story Christian, that way I'll-I'll always be with you.

Satine: Besides, I can't fall in love with anyone
Christian: Can't... fall... in love? But, a life without love, that's... terrible...
Satine: No, being on the street, that's terrible.
Christian: No! Love is like oxygen!
Satine: What?
Christian: Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love

Zidler: 'Cause we can cancan. Yes we can cancan.

The Green Fairy: I'm the Green Fairy... The hills are alive, with The Sound Of Music.

Marie Antoinette

Marie-Antoinette: So, I hear you like to make keys as a hobby?
Louis XVI: Yes.
Marie-Antoinette: And do you enjoy making keys?
Louis XVI: Obviously.

Louis XVI: Ooooh! Your feet are like icicles!

Marie-Antoinette: [her dog, Mops, is taken away] Mops!
Comtesse de Noailles: You may have as many French dogs as you like.

Ambassador Mercy: Madame du Barry would like to offer you some diamonds.
Marie-Antoinette: I have enough diamonds.
Ambassador Mercy: Snubbing the King's favorite is publicly criticizing the King's behavior. All you need do is say a few words to her; because of rank she is not allowed to speak to you first.
Marie-Antoinette: Well, I certainly have nothing to say to her. And why should I approve of his cavorting with a harlot?
Ambassador Mercy: [reproachfully] Your Royal Highness!
Marie-Antoinette: Well, that's what she is. Everyone knows that she's from a brothel and that title was bought for her.
Ambassador Mercy: Your mother and I are very concerned. Du Barry has been complaining to the King that you will not address her, and you cannot afford to fall out of favor with the King. Especially as your marriage... not exactly on solid ground.
Marie-Antoinette: [annoyed] Fine. I'll talk to her.

Last edited:
I did not recall this. A friend brought it to my attention.

The Pick-Up Artist

Molly Ringwald's character and Robert Downey Jr. are getting it on in a car in Central Park, and from outside the car we hear him talking and then she says, "Will you just shut up for fifteen seconds so I can come?"

I only posted that so I would have an opportunity to point out that I learned today that Andrew McCarthy (yes, "Blane" as quoted above) is now a travel journalist, and is a contributing editor at National Geographic Travel magazine. He has a sentimental, cheery piece about the traditional music scene in Dublin in the May, 2010 Atlantic Monthly. Weird. It's like attending one's high school reunion and finding that the guy who broke your heart, whom you thought was gay, actually isn't, and the valedictorian is an MD who has written a bestselling book and is deliriously happy living with her partner and adorable baby girl in Vermont. Or maybe it's Rhode Island. Life is like that.

Ted Levine as Louis:
"Welcome home, convict! A very touching story, my hemorrhoids bleed for you."

at around 5:20 into the clip

And everything Bill Paxton says as Severen in Near Dark

"Hey, Caleb! I hate to be an indian giver, I really do, but you disappointed me. Now you're gonna have to pay. First, you're gonna give me back my spur. Then I'm gonna knock your tonsils out your asshole. What do you think of them apples, huh?"

"I hate 'em when they ain't been shaved."

From Dirty Harry:

Harry Callahan-"When a naked man is chasing a female with intent to commit rape,I shoot the bastard,thats my policy"

Mayor-"Intent? How do you establish that?"

Harry Callahan-"When a naked man is is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he's not collecting for the Red Cross"

Mayor-"He's got a point"

Withnail: Listen to this. "Curse of the superman. I took drugs to win medals said top athlete Geoff Woade."

Marwood: Where's the coffee?

Withnail: "In a world exclusive interview 33 year old shot putter Geoff Woade who weighs 317 pounds, admitted taking massive doses of anabolic steroids, drugs banned in sport. It used to get him bad tempered and act down said his wife. He used to pick on me. But now he's stopped his much better in our sex life and in our general life." My God, this huge, thatched head with its earlobes and cannonball is now considered sane. "Geoff Woade is feeling better and is now prepared to step back into society and start tossing his orb about." Look at him. Look at Geoff Woade. His head must weight fifty pounds on its own. Imagine the size of his balls. Imagine getting into a fight with the f***er!

Marwood: Please! I don't feel good.

Withnail: That's what you'd say but that wouldn't wash with Geoff. No! He'd like a bit of pleading. Add spice to it. In fact, he'd probably tell you what he was going to do before he did it. "I'm going to pull you head off". "Oh no, please, don't pull my head off". "I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head!"

Tags
comedy films quotes t.v.
Back
Top Bottom