Shaun Duggan: Morrissey and Shaun 1987 (via IG - 22 August, 2019)

Shaun shares images taken whilst filming for The Tube with Morrissey in 1987.
Morrissey is referencing Shaun's play with "William" (aged 16 at the Royal Court's Young Writers Festival, 1986).
The letter also appeared in a recent BBC programme via this site - here.

full

e2069016ae38151939810d048dfa2298.jpg
1a0a97602fc53552b7ad47c9e690259b.jpg
78957ae4d37e6ff8e009c423c85ed5e1.jpg
c4975bb1bf7a4513740f4c0581fef36a.jpg

The Tube appearance cited:

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is the woman that Morrissey walks and talks with during the last minute of the video?

Who is the woman that Morrissey walks and talks with during the last minute of the video?
Margi Clarke (the Duggan video above had part of this segment from The Tube '85 tacked on at the end):

Nice interaction between the two of them.
Regards,
FWD.

you can say what you want but i prefer the present-day morrissey. and i am not talking about his looks...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this. Paula Yeats said they were short on staff at The Tube so they had to have a 'bit of a twat' to interview Shaun. Still bitter over Morrisseys Live Aid comments I think, where he said famine was one thing but subjecting the British public to Live Aid was something else. Her husband, Bob organised Live Aid with Midge Ure. Morrisey was still the same then. Edit: I believe Bob's retort to Morrissey was to say that Morrissey couldn't even organise himself out of bed!Bob was part of a panel analysing some of the best albums ever written, and The Queen Is Dead was one of them. He kept a judicious silence. Morrissey was crafty naming an album The Queen Is Dead, because one day that album title will be emblazoned over the front pages of every newspaper in Britain.
He did get an apology out of her the following week.
From Autobiography:

"In the event, Paula Yates introduces me on The Tube as ‘some prat’, and Rough Trade sinks at the horror of it all, yet amazingly they manage to force her to apologize on the following week’s show. ‘So you get me to lie on a television programme that introduces me as “some prat” ...’ I lobby outside Collier Street, partly delighted that Rough Trade’s plan to commingle with The Tube went asswards because of Paula Yates. My smile stretches for miles."

Re: Geldof (Morrissey via Time Out, '85)

"I'm not afraid to say that I think Band Aid was diabolical. Or to say that I think Bob Geldof is a nauseating character. Many people find that very unsettling, but I'll say it as loud as anyone wants me to. In the first instance the record itself was absolutely tuneless. One can have great concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict daily torture on the people of England. It was an awful record considering the mass of talent involved. And it wasn't done shyly it was the most self-righteous platform ever in the history of popular music."

"The whole implication was to save these people in Ethiopia, but who were they asking to save them? Some 13-year-old girl in Wigan! People like Thatcher and the royals could solve the Ethiopian problem within ten seconds. But Band Aid shied away from saying that — for heaven's sake, it was almost directly aimed at unemployed people."

Regards,
FWD.

Watch it Rifke. He was unusual looking to me. Never a beauty. Could you honestly call Morrissey beautiful? I think he knew he wasn't your classic heartthrob. But you still love him. I don't think he has classic good looks. I only know that I'd identify Morrissey from a mile off. A little like Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre.
he's an absolute bona fide beauty! like Ingrid bergman he has "bulletproof angles".

you're crazy.

he may not be your classic heartthrob but he is beautiful. is the classic heartthrob beautiful? probably not. one of the factors of beauty is extremity of proportion. if a person has very proper generic small features, they may be handsome or pretty or lovely to look at (like your classic heartthrob), but they're probably not beautiful. the experience of regarding something as beautiful is contingent upon the amount of time it takes the eye to look something over, and then the almost mathematical summation of what the eye has gathered at the end. if a persons features or proportions are too small the eye passes over them too quickly, and doesn't experience them as "beautiful". Morrissey has extreme proportions the mathematical sum of which is sound and logical therefore Morrissey = beauty.

Does Shaun have a lisp?

I should just add that Morrissey's message reminded me of the lyric to Lucky Lisp.

Last edited:
'Drag me down' - Not sure if Moz was ever a 'heartthrob' in the classic sense, but he was well above average in the looks department - surely?

af0lljyekyh01.jpg

Shaun Duggan always seemed like a lovely, smart, thoughtful, gentle and kind person. I wish him only the best.

What a dream come true it must have been for him to interview Moz back in the day.

From Autobiography:

"In the event, Paula Yates introduces me on The Tube as ‘some prat’, and Rough Trade sinks at the horror of it all, yet amazingly they manage to force her to apologize on the following week’s show. ‘So you get me to lie on a television programme that introduces me as “some prat” ...’ I lobby outside Collier Street, partly delighted that Rough Trade’s plan to commingle with The Tube went asswards because of Paula Yates. My smile stretches for miles."

"I'm not afraid to say that I think Band Aid was diabolical. Or to say that I think Bob Geldof is a nauseating character. Many people find that very unsettling, but I'll say it as loud as anyone wants me to. In the first instance the record itself was absolutely tuneless. One can have great concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict daily torture on the people of England. It was an awful record considering the mass of talent involved. And it wasn't done shyly it was the most self-righteous platform ever in the history of popular music."

"The whole implication was to save these people in Ethiopia, but who were they asking to save them? Some 13-year-old girl in Wigan! People like Thatcher and the royals could solve the Ethiopian problem within ten seconds. But Band Aid shied away from saying that — for heaven's sake, it was almost directly aimed at unemployed people."

Regards,
FWD.

He was totally right.

you're crazy.

he may not be your classic heartthrob but he is beautiful. is the classic heartthrob beautiful? probably not. one of the factors of beauty is extremity of proportion. if a person has very proper generic small features, they may be handsome or pretty or lovely to look at (like your classic heartthrob), but they're probably not beautiful. the experience of regarding something as beautiful is contingent upon the amount of time it takes the eye to look something over, and then the almost mathematical summation of what the eye has gathered at the end. if a persons features or proportions are too small the eye passes over them too quickly, and doesn't experience them as "beautiful". Morrissey has extreme proportions the mathematical sum of which is sound and logical therefore Morrissey = beauty.

Besides that, true beauty always comes from the soul.

Morrissey looks good. He's not fat. Guys like Steve Jones or John Lydon you can say ok their looks went south.
They were cute and now oy vey. Morrissey looked great on Broadway and is not fat. Peace.

Back in the day there was 2 or 3 photos where he looked beautiful, but in all the rest he is just a nice looking nerd. I never found him sexy.

From Autobiography:

Regards,
FWD.
He's right that it was a terrible record and it's fine not to participate. But to put down people that did try to do something just because he thinks other people should do it probably didn't help anyone in any way including himself.

Great to see the long-demolished great Newcastle boozer the Rose and Crown in the background. They did a fine pint of Butterknowle Conciliation back in the day.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom