She is off the tour.

I think she was lucky to have been on the tour in the first place. She's freakin' awful, IMHO.

I don't think it's for us to judge whether the comments were offensive, since we weren't the subject of them. Based on what little we do know about Morrissey, I thought the comments were problematic and I'm not entirely surprised there were consequences.

I also don't think it's fair to say her termination reflects poorly on anyone since we don't know what (if anything) she'd been told about comments that she could or could not make, don't know anything much about their personal relationship, and don't know anything else about the backstage context in which the remarks were made. I do know that if some guy warming up for Joan Baez (or pick some other woman artist) said onstage that she gave great blow jobs, we wouldn't expect to see them warming up anymore.

EDIT: Since she's in NY anyway, maybe she can go warm up for that Croatian racist guy.

Good points all around but (as someone, somewhere has already said in this thread or elsewhere), this is punk-inspired rock and roll we're talking about, not tea and crumpets with Lady Bracknell. Her comment was intended to shock, nothing more. The idea of Morrissey getting bent out of shape is sort of appalling in that sense. But I concede that you're right-- we don't know all the facts and it might have been the straw that broke the etc.

"as it turns out, friends of his, a NYC band called "Girlfriend In A Coma" are now opening up the shows" not Vetiver

from the brooklyn vegan website.

quite possibly the first time an opening act has ever been booted off a tour for making complimentary remarks about the headliner (no pun intended)

as for KY, she got to tour the world and play in front of packed houses which as an unsigned artist with no tour support money from a label is pretty much unheard of so I don't feel sorry for her in the least..

Very likely you're right, although the tour manager might have had other reasons and Morrissey reluctantly had to agree. Perhaps there was some silly regulation at the Hammerstein Ballroom that she violated. Had she made her comments on Sunday night rather than Tuesday, she might still be on the tour. It's possible the HB disinvited her and they figured it would be easiest to cut her loose since the tour was almost at an end. Who knows?

If Morrissey did give her the boot, this is yet another case of a Morrissey friend or associate showing loyalty despite being bruised by him in some way. The spell he has over those close to him is amazing. I assume they believe him to be a good person who occasionally makes mistakes, which is pretty much what I think (guessing, of course).

I am thinking if it was something like you suggest that the HB disinvited her then maybe the statement would have been worded differently. Also why the feck does everything have to be so secret, if Morrissey's camp put something out and save the speculation.

I wonder what He will say about this, if anything? And the Visconti connection??

I was thinking that as well, would he still produce the album. Time will tell.

"as it turns out, friends of his, a NYC band called "Girlfriend In A Coma" are now opening up the shows" not Vetiver

from the brooklyn vegan website.

That is very welcome news! I've been chatting with their singer via MySpace, and they're coming to my neck of the woods in November. Just think--on Saturday we get to see the Man himself, flanked by two tribute bands! [SIZE=-1]Hundalasiliah[/SIZE]!

I'm sorry to hear this. You just know she's got to be hurting - it's obvious the esteem she holds Morrissey in.

This will almost certainly make Morrissey's working relationship with Visconti very iffy indeed.

That's too bad. I feel sorry for her. She was so close to completing the tour. The comments were foolish, not offensive.

I'm also sorry to say I think it reflects poorly on whoever made the decision to fire her.

Ditto. I think it is a real shame that she is being removed from the tour over something so trivial. I doubt that anyone other than one particular person has the power to make this decision, and it is within his right to, though I feel that it is definitely rather rash.

I have to say I'm kind of shocked to hear this. I really believed that this was a comment that people were blowing out of proportion and that we were the only ones who thought it was that big a deal. I guess I was wrong.

That being said, I am curious to see who we get as an opening act tonight. It will be nice to get some new energy in the show...it's just disappointing that it had to happen due to such a little thing.

So who is going to be opening the next few nights?

Is Boz going to take an accoustic guitar out and drudge out some Old Polecat tunes?

I'd certainly welcome Mr. Boorer (and how about the wifey) as an opener. Boz is a pro in every sense of the word and he'd be excellent. The man can play so many styles of music, it would no doubt be an enjoyable show.

dcn

Ah, great! thanks.
She still loves Moz, but I don't know if the opposite is true...:D

I am afraid that the firing could give more publicity to what she said, and finally humiliate the Moz a little more.:eek:
I hope the new girls won't be that crude...:cool:

Morrissey is being an idiot in this. I only hope he put it to her as kindly as possible. I suppose he must have otherwise she wouldn't be so nice about him.

The only thing I can think is he was getting bored of her anyway and looking for an excuse to get rid of her. Otherwise taking offence to a little comment like that is insane when you consider the outrageous behaviour of all the artists he admires. :p

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom