Should Euthanasia be legal in Britain?

Should Euthanasia be legal in Britain?

• Total voters
D

DAVIE

I think it should be made legal....they should have clinics over here like they do Switzerland and obviously let the patients have councilling before they make any big choices....

why is it taking so long for people to accept that people dying with painful illnesses just want to die?

I've always found it strange that we can put animals out of their misery if in pain with no possibility of help, yet insist on waiting for each other to die naturally.In sometimes apauling circumstances.

I think it is an interesting topic and something hopefully governments will start to look at more in the near future. It was legal in the Northern Territory (Australia) for 9 months before being overturned by the Federal Govt. Perhaps, until it becomes legal an awareness for people to write down their wishes as a 'Medical Power of Attorney' form could be the way to go. I recently became the POA for my grandparents, so their wishes are clear if/when they might need medical decisions made.

I didn't vote in the poll as I'm not a U.K citizen but I'd say yes if this question applied to America. I'd want to be euthanised if I were suffering.
I live in a death penalty state but I can't see it happening here.

Not being from the UK, I don't really feel my opinion means much, but I've always believed in the right to die, and in assisted suicide for terminal patients.

Of cause everybody else's opinions matter! We're all human and we're all on the same planet.

Everyone believes and agrees with Euthanasia. Why won't any Goverment deal with the issue than ignore the subject completely?

#ahem#....I once had a friend who firmly believed that all children born "Handicapped" should be drowned immediately at birth.....he's not my friend anymore.....does that count?...I have my own opinions on this subject, and would like to interact more, but my computer is currently acting up....more later....

Everyone believes and agrees with Euthanasia.

Nonsense. I was in a hospice at the weekend, and plenty of people are there squeezing every possible second out of life. That's freaking cool.

Nonsense. I was in a hospice at the weekend, and plenty of people are there squeezing every possible second out of life. That's freaking cool.

OK I was being a bit OTT when I said that, but I firmly believe the majority of our country believes that it should be legal. It should be recongised by goverment!

#ahem#....I once had a friend who firmly believed that all children born "Handicapped" should be drowned immediately at birth.....he's not my friend anymore.....does that count?...I have my own opinions on this subject, and would like to interact more, but my computer is currently acting up....more later....

He sounds a bit like Hitler....Euthanasia is usually for dying patients who basically want a quick painless exit. Handicapped people aren't dying, unless you go down the whole philosophical route and say every human being is dying, but we're not even going there

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread Davie.
If I may add my bit; The battle lines for and against are pretty clear, but the law being where it is (with the BMA in support) I believe the onus is on supporters of euthenasia to build a strong arguement. As far as I can see the anti arguements rely strongly on the fear of the vunerable being coerced into ending their lives and I think we can't say catagorically that these dangers are non-existant. Accordingly, I think saying one believes in the right to end your own life is not enough, one should also include that clear and robust safeguards are in place to protect the vunerable.

Great thread Davie.
If I may add my bit; The battle lines for and against are pretty clear, but the law being where it is (with the BMA in support) I believe the onus is on supporters of euthenasia to build a strong arguement. As far as I can see the anti arguements rely strongly on the fear of the vunerable being coerced into ending their lives and I think we can't say catagorically that these dangers are non-existant. Accordingly, I think saying one believes in the right to end your own life is not enough, one should also include that clear and robust safeguards are in place to protect the vunerable.

Yes I agree. Thank you for adding to the topic Peter :)
The people against Euthanasia seem to be either deeply religious or people who think it'll be abused and everyone seriously ill would be "forced" into Euthanasia by Doctors and family, which is completely NOT the case in Switzerland.

I want to know why the people voting "no" in the poll above haven't come forward to give us their thoughts on the topic :confused:

Back
Top Bottom