Should Morrissey 'do a Morrissey'?

Should Morrissey 'do a Morrissey'?

• Total voters

Maurice E Maher

Way back in the era of Britpop (ask your grandpa), I remember one of the bigger bands of the time saying that they should have 'done a Morrissey'.
What this meant was that they felt they had been too much in the public eye and people were getting sick of them, and that they should simply have disappeared for 12 to 18 months without anyone hearing from them, as this is what Morrissey used to do back then.
How times change.
Barely a week passes these days without Morrissey issuing some kind of bizarre statement via True to You.
But do you think he would be benefit by just going offline for a period of time, say 6 months.
In short, should Morrissey do a Morrissey?

Last edited:
Yes. He's touring too much, and the reason he's not selling tickets is because he's going to places he was just in last year. Most people, outside of the obsessives that follow him, won't pay $100 to see someone they saw a year ago. There just isn't much excitement surrounding this tour, and it's because he's overexposed. His band looks miserable and weary, and it's the same thing every night.

He needs to retire or take a couple of years off.

Since 2011 (the US/South American tour debacle aside ) Morrissey has been in superb form, and maybe that is why he has toured with a heavy schedule in order to keep the momentum going. Maybe he does bed a good rest, trouble is, a couple of years off and he's galloping at pace towards 60. Would there be much left beyond that?

Since 2011 (the US/South American tour debacle aside ) Morrissey has been in superb form, and maybe that is why he has toured with a heavy schedule in order to keep the momentum going. Maybe he does bed a good rest, trouble is, a couple of years off and he's galloping at pace towards 60. Would there be much left beyond that?

exactly. also not long ago people were mad that he was canceling and now people are saying hes over exposed so it would seem a contradiction in preference to be mad at both circumstances . the comparison to blur also doesnt really work as moz is releasing statements on his own website mouthpiece while blur were doing that and a million photo shoots and a bunch of press etc while releasing albums every year every other year and moz for sure isnt following that release schedule so id say no. i think some people here could use a break from him though. some

exactly. also not long ago people were mad that he was canceling and now people are saying hes over exposed so it would seem a contradiction in preference to be mad at both circumstances . the comparison to blur also doesnt really work as moz is releasing statements on his own website mouthpiece while blur were doing that and a million photo shoots and a bunch of press etc while releasing albums every year every other year and moz for sure isnt following that release schedule so id say no. i think some people here could use a break from him though. some

It's not a comparison with Blur (they were just the people who used the phrase) - it's a comparison with Morrissey in the 1990s when he would often just keep a very low profile for periods of up to a year or more.
Now, mainly thanks to True to You, he rarely lasts a fortnight without a public statement.
The response to the book has been the biggest public ridicule of his entire career. The critical pounding has reverberated through mainstream media (was even mentioned on Radio 4's Today Programme). He must be feeling bruised, hence the lashing out with the latest bizarrely timed post about Cruel Britannia.
It's not really about touring either as even when he stops, the True to You outpourings continue.
Are they actually helping his cause (however that might be defined) or should he try and reclaim some mystique?

Last edited:
It's not a comparison with Blur (they were just the people who used the phrase) - it's a comparison with Morrissey in the 1990s when he would often just keep a very low profile for periods of up to a year or more.
Now, mainly thanks to True to You, he rarely lasts a fortnight without a public statement.
The response to the book has been the biggest public ridicule of his entire career. The critical pounding has reverberated through mainstream media (was even mentioned on Radio 4's Today Programme). He must be feeling bruised, hence the lashing out with the latest bizarrely timed post about Cruel Britannia.
It's not really about touring either as even when he stops, the True to You outpourings continue.
Are they actually helping his cause (however that might be defined) or should he try and reclaim some mystique?

lots of bands even in the nineties, at least late nineties when the internet was more prolific, still had websites with regular news postings tour diaries recording updates etc so i dont see the difference. i also dont think so many people read tty as you think. not casual fans or even the majority of his fanbase, just the more so to speak hardcore ones. gotta say mystique is a thing of the past and doesnt really have much place in the internet information age, people dont want it which is why we all share info, and when people try it usually just looks sad because it doesnt work and makes them look gimmicky. people respect moz because they for the most part trust him to be more honest than the average pop star, not less

Yes. He's touring too much, and the reason he's not selling tickets is because he's going to places he was just in last year. Most people, outside of the obsessives that follow him, won't pay $100 to see someone they saw a year ago. There just isn't much excitement surrounding this tour, and it's because he's overexposed. His band looks miserable and weary, and it's the same thing every night.

He needs to retire or take a couple of years off.

i agree :thumb:

he should hook up with Tonetta and make thousands of albums

Playing live is how he makes 99.9% of his money, so I doubt he will disappear. But for the longer-term good of his career, I think it would be a wise move.
Get out of the public eye, no more statements, spend two or three years assembling an amazing new batch of songs, and an amazing novel to silence the 'List of the Lost' critics.
By the time he has those sorted, the public will be pleased to see him - instead of jaded at his increasingly predictable exploits and pronouncements.

Maurice E Maher should do a Morrissey, oh wait, but that means he'll be back!

hes not over exposed by any means. hes touring but i dont see tons of press or mentions and tty statements dont even seem to add up to that many. how many total did he make in 2015

Nobody heard, he was on that bed, it was like a sea of jelly,
And so he seized the first
(his vocal chords shot up)
(possibility)
(like mad pituitary glands)
It was a black tube, he felt himself disintegrate
(there is nothing happening at all)
and go inside the black tube, so when he looked out into the steep
saw this sweet young thing (Fender one)
Humping on the parking meter, leaning on the parking meter

In the sheets
there was a man
dancing around
to the simple
Rock & roll
song

I think he should - at minimum - disappear for 2016. No statements, no gigs etc. Come back with a new band, a new attitude, and some cracking new songs in 2017, and maybe people will have forgotten how much of an arse he's been recently.

I think Blur should "do a Morrissey" again...now (judging from their last attempt at an album...)

No, he shouldn't. I believe he has a lot to offer, but he needs to ground himself and concentrate on lyrics and music instead of politics. I'm fine with Jesse, never had a problem with him, and of course Boz (love Boz), but maybe he should replace a couple of the current members for a better sound. I do miss Alain and Gary so much, but those days will never return, sadly.

should M do this ? Should M do that ? I'm sure he comes here daily wringing his hands in dreaded anticipation of the outcome of this poll that will dictate his future fate! :lbf:

In the sheets
there was a man
dancing around
to the simple
Rock & roll
song

Back
Top Bottom