Silly 'folk' song about Morrissey on the BBC radio

T

Tingle

On Thursday (12th Aug) evening on BBC Radio 2 (UK) after Mark Lamarr’s excellent “Shake Rattle & Roll” show and before the barely competent Mark Radcliffe, there was a pitiful ‘comedy’ show called ‘The day the music died’. It seems that it’s the brain-child of Andrew Collins. I suspect that this is the same Andrew Collins author of the autobiography ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now: My Difficult Student 80s’.

During the show there were two silly songs on the folk idiom by someone going by the name of Julian Tailforth about Morrissey – how he went away to L.A. and has made a comeback – is it really him?- oh yes, he’s still miserable and glum – so it must be him, blah blah blah blah blah.

It was excruciating to hear the old ‘miserable’ tag nailed to the Morrissey name again and again. Later there was a section on taking song lyrics literally and Meat is Murder was mentioned as were a number of lines from ‘Vicar in a tutu’. It was all pretty puerile.

Colins and ‘Tailforth’ are nothing compared to Kenneth Williams’ Rambling Syd Rumpo. How Collins can resolve in his own mind using Morrissey’s work and name so widely to promote his own career whilst perpetuating the erroneous ‘miserable’ tag I do not know. It’s shameful.

Back
Top Bottom