Smiths live compliation

Cornflakes

"A bit iffy" ★★☆☆☆ - AV Club
I've uploaded a compilation of Smiths live recordings as a present to the world.

I've also DIY "remastered" most of the recordings. So they are better than the versions you already have. In theory, at least.

It's titled "In Heat", which was a proposed title for the Rank LP. There's cover art in the zip file as well. You are so lucky.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/164kz61617vvqdj/In_Heat.zip

Tracklisting:

The Haçienda, Manchester, 4 February 1983
Handsome Devil
The Assembly Rooms, Derby, 7 December 1983 *
Hand In Glove
Still Ill
Queen Margaret Hall, Glasgow, 2 March 1984 *
Girl Afraid
De Meervaart, Amsterdam, 21 April 1984 *
This Charming Man
Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
Markthalle, Hamburg, 4 May 1984 *
Barbarism Begins At Home
Apollo Theatre, Oxford, 18 March 1985 *
William, It Was Really Nothing
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
The Headmaster Ritual
Paseo De Camoens, Madrid, 18 May 1985 *
Shakespeare’s Sister
Barrowlands, Glasgow, 25 September 1985
What’s The World?
Irvine Meadows, California, 28 August 1986
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
I Want The One I Can’t Have
The Queen Is Dead
I Know It’s Over
National Ballroom, Kilburn, London, 23 October 1986 *
How Soon Is Now?
Frankly Mr Shankly
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Brixton Academy, London, 12 December 1986
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
City Road Studios, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 10 April 1987 *
Sheila Take A Bow
Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Recordings marked * have been digitally enhanced.

Hope you like it. I don't consider myself a black-belt audio geek, so feedback, good and bad, is welcome.

Thanks for the hard work; I'll listen to it. There are some great performances captured on tape but unfortunately a lot of them are less than stellar recordings, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you've done.

Good effort with these :thumb:

Thanks for sharing, cornflakes. This is great! Cheers!

mbr.

don't take this as a criticism, but the tag for Shakespeare's Sister is typoed. I normally wouldn't mention something like that but the rest of this download is so nice I thought you might like to make it perfect

Thanks for the nice comments.

I've decided that I can actually do much better though, so I'm going to try a version 2. I've found better sourcing for some tracks (in particular, the Hamburg gig) and also re-done some of the tracks, which now sound better IMO.

Oliver: I'll try to also double-check the tags in the second version, but no promises.

DavidA: I'll also think about uploading some wav versions.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I've decided that I can actually do much better though, so I'm going to try a version 2. I've found better sourcing for some tracks (in particular, the Hamburg gig) and also re-done some of the tracks, which now sound better IMO.

Oliver: I'll try to also double-check the tags in the second version, but no promises.

DavidA: I'll also think about uploading some wav versions.

I can get you the best sources for all of those. Also, you might find Trader's Little Helper useful if you use a PC.

Again, it's a great compilation, but by way of constructive criticism; several of the tracks are a bit too bassy. Nothing horrible, but it is something I thought worth bringing up if you are gonna redo it anyway. And it is not by any means all the songs; just a handful.

Again, it's a great compilation, but by way of constructive criticism; several of the tracks are a bit too bassy. Nothing horrible, but it is something I thought worth bringing up if you are gonna redo it anyway. And it is not by any means all the songs; just a handful.

Hi Skylarker.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, for some tracks (the Amsterdam ones) its in the source recording and there's a limited amount that can be done without affecting the other instruments. I have noticed that it is worse on better equipment, so maybe if you switch from Technics to Alba...

On my main hi-fi, the recording of TCM does basically bass-slap you across the chops. I'm not sure this can be entirely prevented, though.

I'm trying to make everything as good as possible for v2, so if there are particular tracks you think are too bassy, please name them.

Hi David.

It would be cool if you could tell me if you have noticed that particiular recordings I have used are not the best. Like I say, I have already found a better version of Hamburg. Also, "William" is from my Same Day Again bootleg, which is not as good as an mp3 of the more recent re-broadcast I have found.

In particular, if anyone knows of a source for better versions of the Tube performances, that would be really helpful (it looks like these will be the poorest quality in the second version, as things stand).

Hiya Cornflakes,

Waiting patiently for your v2. Cheers! :thumb:

Hi Skylarker.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, for some tracks (the Amsterdam ones) its in the source recording and there's a limited amount that can be done without affecting the other instruments. I have noticed that it is worse on better equipment, so maybe if you switch from Technics to Alba...

On my main hi-fi, the recording of TCM does basically bass-slap you across the chops. I'm not sure this can be entirely prevented, though.

I'm trying to make everything as good as possible for v2, so if there are particular tracks you think are too bassy, please name them.

In listening to these again, I must say that you've chosen well :)

The Haçienda, Manchester, 4 February 1983
Handsome Devil

Official release. Best taken from the Rhino remasters.

The Assembly Rooms, Derby, 7 December 1983 *
Hand In Glove
Still Ill

Probably best in this rip of the Brazillian Rock Masters broadcast. Most of the others went through VHS and lost some quality in the process.

Queen Margaret Hall, Glasgow, 2 March 1984 *
Girl Afraid

De Meervaart, Amsterdam, 21 April 1984 *
This Charming Man
Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now

A nice re-broadcast in 2009. Original seeded version here, pitch corrected by WaxlyMolding here.

Markthalle, Hamburg, 4 May 1984 *
Barbarism Begins At Home

I'd probably take this from the Crushed Flowers DVD. It's quiet, but has a good spectrum. It was a DVD taken from the master tape.

Apollo Theatre, Oxford, 18 March 1985 *
William, It Was Really Nothing
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
The Headmaster Ritual

It would be between the DSAT recording, which is better from a lineage point of view or Same Day Again remaster, which is better from a frequency analysis point of view. Both sound great to my ears.

Paseo De Camoens, Madrid, 18 May 1985 *
Shakespeare’s Sister

kigonjiro's digital capture.

Barrowlands, Glasgow, 25 September 1985
What’s The World?

Irvine Meadows, California, 28 August 1986
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
I Want The One I Can’t Have
The Queen Is Dead
I Know It’s Over

The terrapinstation remaster of Thank Your Lucky Stars. A warmer version than the original bootleg IMO. I don't appear to have that on smithstorrents, but I uploaded a track to my Dropbox here. See what you think.

National Ballroom, Kilburn, London, 23 October 1986 *
How Soon Is Now?
Frankly Mr Shankly
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Probably the DSAT.

Brixton Academy, London, 12 December 1986
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

City Road Studios, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 10 April 1987 *
Sheila Take A Bow
Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Soundsville Steve's version is the best I've heard.

Thanks David.

Smithtorrents does not seem to want to let me join, though.

(I think the confirmation code isn't working properly, just for info).

Back
Top Bottom