Smiths on Daily Telegraph Letters page

B

Benton

From Tuesday

Why shouldn't Cameron like The Smiths?

Sir - So David Cameron likes The Smiths and has their music on his iPod. Is Simon Heffer so hostile to Mr Cameron that he feels it pertinent to describe this and his other choices as "hideous pop music of the sort favoured by acne-flecked youths half his age" (Opinion, January 7)?

Although I am four years older than the new Conservative Party leader, I can see that he has retained a love for some of the music that he grew up with in the 1980s, as well as wanting to enjoy some innovative contemporary sounds.

Why shouldn't he like this music and admit to it? He's not "claiming to listen in order to maintain his street credibility"; he's simply saying what he, as so many others of his age, actually like and listen to.

Andrew Morgan, Bournemouth, Dorset

From Thursday

Sir - Readers unacquainted with the undeniably brilliant miserablist Eighties beat combo the Smiths and who are interested in possible sources of influence on the Cameron mind (Letters, January 10) might like to know that their songs include Margaret on the Guillotine, Shoplifters of the World Unite, This Charming Man and Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want.

One hopes he has also been listening to We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful.

Simon Young, Brighton, E Sussex

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/01/11/dt1101.xml

Margaret on the Guillotine a Smiths song?
He's done his research all right.

> Margaret on the Guillotine a Smiths song?
> He's done his research all right.

At least one other error, but they may have edited him.

Back
Top Bottom