Solo-wise, which is your LEAST loved Morrissey album?

Your least love Moz album solo-wise

• Total voters
It's a toss up between Quarry and YOR.

I understand why Quarry is a popular album, being his comeback album and all, and maybe even one that introduced young fans to Moz. I just...I can't get into it. I like alot of the b-sides, but the a-sides don't excite me much at all. I'll give it the occasional play through, mostly to hear "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small" "Teenage Dad" and "Munich Air Disaster" (I have the 'deluxe' version), but other than that, it's sort of lame.

YOR is the same for me. It's okayish. A few good songs, like "Mama", "Skull" and "Goodbye/Farewell" but most of it is mediocre and forgetable. I've hardly listened to it at all since February.

I think Ringleader is his best album of the "new" era. I know I'm in the minority, but I really love it. I also love Kill Uncle and Mala. I wouldn't have been able to choose a least favorite album pre-2000, but post 2000 it was quite easy.

Last edited:
But it could've been Southpaw too - I just don't get that album, it doesn't ring my bell at all.

Same here- that could've been my other answer, yet I'm more drawn to his 'oldies'...I'm more likely to play Reader Meet Author than that THPGU dross.

I too never really listen to 'Who Ate Me Curry'.

:lbf:

I think, for the sake of making a decision I chose YATQ as least favorite. Mainly because I listen to it the least and when I do, I often skip tracks. With Kill Uncle, even if I don't love all of the songs, I can definitely listen to pretty much all of them and enjoy them.

I understand why Quarry is a popular album, being his comeback album and all, and maybe even one that introduced young fans to Moz. I just...I can't get into it. I like alot of the b-sides, but the a-sides don't excite me much at all. I'll give it the occasional play through, mostly to hear "It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small" "Teenage Dad" and "Munich Air Disaster" (I have the 'deluxe' version), but other than that, it's sort of lame.

YOR is the same for me. It's okayish. A few good songs, like "Mama", "Skull" and "Goodbye/Farewell" but most of it is mediocre and unforgetable. I've hardly listened to it at all since February.

I think Ringleader is his best album of the "new" era. I know I'm in the minority, but I really love it. I also love Kill Uncle and Mala. I wouldn't have been able to choose a least favorite album pre-2000, but post 2000 it was quite easy.

:clap::clap::clap:

YOR is the same for me. It's okayish. A few good songs, like "Mama", "Skull" and "Goodbye/Farewell" but most of it is mediocre and forgetable. I've hardly listened to it at all since February.

Ohh God....
Well, if you don't like... at least you have a hard opinion...

I was listening to Comcast Cable's Classic Alternative station yesterday. On came Morrissey...while it said 'Sing Your Life' on the screen, it was actually 'Asian Rut'. I got a small pleasure out of their goof (I've never seen happen before) and delighted in some Kill Uncleness getting some airplay. :guitar:

Some of the random text was You Are The Quarry was Morrissey's most well-received album since Vauxhall & I. Is that (still) true? It also said Morrissey is openly celibate :) trooo

Last edited:
I don't have a least loved Morrissey album, they all have a special meaning to me. Where is that option?

Years of Refusal.

Great title, pfffffft songs.

i really enjoy maladjusted AND kill uncle...:( sad they are getting thumbs down across the board.

I agree about Quarry. The deluxe version has about 6 really good songs but 4 or 5 of those are from the additional b-sides bit. The original studio album is dire. So clumsy and witless. Songs like Jesus, Crashing Bores, and How Can Anybody are just plain awful.
But ROTT is pretty poor too. Father Must Be Killed, On the Streets, and At Last deserved their place in the bottom 30 in the all-time 230 Moz/Smith songs. In the Future, L is a P, and Anybody's Hero, tho are good.
YOR is definitely an improvement on the last two albums, particularly from a musical point of view. There are some great compositions with some excellent melodies and imaginative arrangements. If anything, it's let down by its lyrics and I can only therefore assume that people who think YOR is the worst of the post 2000 albums are more interested in the words than the tunes...

i really enjoy maladjusted AND kill uncle...:( sad they are getting thumbs down across the board.

I know,I know. But, each to their own. I personally love both albums.

I agree about Quarry. The deluxe version has about 6 really good songs but 4 or 5 of those are from the additional b-sides bit. The original studio album is dire. So clumsy and witless.

Yesss, yesss, yesss. I was listening to the b-sides just the other day and was thinking the same. I have even grown to like Teenage Dad, "You become your parents' parent" is a truly heartwrenching line and is just spot-on about something that I find one of the most difficult things in adulthood. :(

"You become your parents' parent" is a truly heartwrenching line and is just spot-on about something that I find one of the most difficult things in adulthood. :(

Oh you poor thing. However, your parents probably find it a lot more difficult.

; )

Some interesting opinions on here.

No surprise Kill Uncle tops the list. Looking back I think half the problem is the production, it really does nothing to the songs. Maybe if Mick Ronson had been producer it might have been a better listen. Surprising that this album is sandwiched between 2 decent albums. Moz must have had a bad day.

My vote went for ROTT. Enough said.

Hmm, I voted for Kill Uncle as well. I think 'least loved', sums it up. It's quite hard to have strong feelings about KU. I don't think it would be my 'most hated'...

It's a good question because I consider the one I love the least & the 'worst' to be different things.

I think Kill Uncle is the worst album musically but the one I love the lease is Quarry because as good as it is, it's just so clinical. The b sides had a bit more heart.

I'm sick of people slagging off YOR. It makes me happy to listen to it, it's a good ol fashioned thrash around! Also ROTT, I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. (And please don't try to explain, I'm not interested)

Last edited:
Maladjusted. It just sounds so uninspired, with flat, dull production. Collectively, it has the weakest songs of any of the solo albums, Trouble Loves Me is it's only high point for me - and the cover, looks like it was thrown together by someone who'd had an hour of practice on photoshop. Each to their own, I guess.

Tags
album least favourite morrissey moz solo
Back
Top Bottom