Some incredible Morrissey treasures recently found

These items are 'rare' and therefore because they almost never become available (for ANY artist) then they are
going to be hard to value. Basically because the value is in the actual album (who it was, when)
and the quality of the items. In this case they look stunning, like they have come out of the archives.

I dont work for the label, nor the archive department, nor the studio or mastering company
but - depending upon your views of what was going on at that time in the music world of Viva Hate and Education in Reverse (which cost me at least £50 back in199x) and those singles - then one set of the covers needs to be in a Morrissey museum perhaps,
for future generations to see, especially the artwork, if you can manage it. Salford Lads Club
could be a good start but it is just a suggestion. We need a Morrissey museum over here in Manchester
to house all of these amazing artifacts.

Morrissey's attention to detail on these products is stunning.

I have seen test pressings for albums at £500 and singles at £100 before but they were not
Morrissey's and not Viva Hate.

I would think that there could be a lot of interest in these items.

One question please, what does it say on the etched disk in the groove after "DREAMS..........."

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I will direct message you later with more info about the records etchings and matrix numbers.

Right, here we go.

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 1):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 18 Jan 1988.
Etching on side A: Education In Reverse
Matrix side A: CSD 3787 A-1U-1-1-1
matrix side B: CSD 3787 B-2U-1-1-1

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 2):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 20 Jan 1988

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 3):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 28 Jan 1988

12 POP 1618 12" Test pressing

Etching on side A: Dreams...are just...dreams
Matrix side a: 12 POP 1618 A-1U-1-1-1
Matrix side b: 12 POP 1618 B-1U-1-1-1

POP 1618 7" test pressing

Etching on side a: dreams....are just....dreams
Matrix side a: POP 1618 A-1U-1-1-
Matrix side b: POP 1618 B-1U-1-1-

The middle is stamped with the date 19 Jan 1988

Everyday is like Sunday master 12" pressing

This vinyl is much thicker than usual records and has no visible matrix numbers or markings whatsoever.

Last edited:
What a great find there, the solo stuff doesn't command the same prices as Smiths stuff but you can expect £100-£150 for the promo boxes, the 7" singles test pressings are worth about £300 each and the CBS mastering disc..well I think there could be a scrap over that one, maybe getting near £800 for that.It only takes two buyers with deep pockets and your in business.

Thanks for the update on the grooves.

Dreams.... are just...dreams - class.

This is funny too because Morrissey worked so hard in the 70s and 80s to be a pop star,

When EMI came knocking, he did a bloody good job with Vini Reilly and Street.

Vini really needs looking after now. He is also a Manchester legend.

Money is one thing but these do need a good home.

Right, here we go.

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 1):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 18 Jan 1988.

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 2):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 20 Jan 1988

Viva Hate 12" Test Pressing (copy 3):

The sleeve is stamped with the date 28 Jan 1988

12 POP 1618 12" Test pressing

Etching on side A: Dreams...are just...dreams
Matrix side a: 12 POP 1618 A-1U-1-1-1
Matrix side b: 12 POP 1618 B-1U-1-1-1

POP 1618 7" test pressing

Etching on side a: dreams....are just....dreams
Matrix side a: POP 1618 A-1U-1-1-
Matrix side b: POP 1618 B-1U-1-1-

The middle is stamped with the date 19 Jan 1988

Everyday is like Sunday master 12" pressing

This vinyl is much thicker than usual records and has no visible matrix numbers or markings whatsoever.

Have we found out who Queenisdeadboy is and whats the story with these treasures yet. Reliable source?

Not yet. I asked him where they came from and he said he wasn't going to say. It would help to know the story behind them.

The promos aren't worth much. What you were offered for the 7" and acetate I thought were more than fair.

What you're referring to as a "mastering disc" is called an acetate. I have an Everyday Is Like Sunday from Abbey Road. These were made so the parties involved could have something to play; these pre date digital. The blanks cost about 50 quid each and are made individually on a lathe.

The promos aren't worth much. What you were offered for the 7" and acetate I thought were more than fair.

What you're referring to as a "mastering disc" is called an acetate. I have an Everyday Is Like Sunday from Abbey Road. These were made so the parties involved could have something to play; these pre date digital. The blanks cost about 50 quid each and are made individually on a lathe.

Pretty cool stuff when you appreciate everything that goes into it. I've always wanted to learn to use a recording lathe. :)

Don't play the acetate!!

Sorry my mistake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom