something weird on Maudlin Street

zither

probably it's just me.
that said, I do think in Late Night, Maudlin Street live one of the best lines ever, as epic as the Speedway's "I've always been true to you", such as:
"When I sleep with that picture of
You framed beside my bed
Oh, it's childish and it's silly
But I think it's you in my room
By the bed (...yes, I told you it was silly...)"
these lines really moved me from the very first time and still almost make me cry.

funny and terrible at the same time how such great lines are followed by the Morrissey's flattest and very common lines ever:
"And I know I took strange pills
But I never meant to hurt you".
to me it was like going to the roller coaster, up up up and then suddenly down.

this song is brillant and powerfull and always will be [just to make it clear].

do you agree?

Last edited:
I have walked down Maudlin Street. :thumb:

3220248157_a08dbf0c7b.jpg

Always been one of my favourite songs.

There's a gorgeous bit on the live version from the I Just Want To See The Boy Happy single, where he asks someone (I guess in the audience) "are you OK?" - totally unintentional I'd think, but rather magical.

I like that version. It sounds like a younger woman had maybe tripped and fell off the stage after hugging him and he was concerned about it.

"When I sleep with that picture of
You framed beside my bed
Oh, it's childish and it's silly
But I think it's you in my room
By the bed (...yes, I told you it was silly...)"
these lines really moved me from the very first time and still almost make me cry.

I completely agree. Those particular lines stand out to me very much as well and always hit me quite hard. Definitely one of my favorite Moz songs. I would love to see him play it live.

I completely agree. Those particular lines stand out to me very much as well and always hit me quite hard. Definitely one of my favorite Moz songs. I would love to see him play it live.

sadly funny, he skipped just those lines live...

sadly funny, he skipped just those lines live...

I noticed that as well! I remember listening to the version off The Vaguest Show ever and realizing he skipped it and being rather disappointed. Is that typical when this song is played live?

This is a stunning song. Definitely one of my favourite Morrissey songs. I was overwhelmed with emotion at the Royal Albert Hall in 2002 when he performed this song. If he'd come on the stage and sung just this song and then left I would have been happy. It slaughters me every time.

This is a stunning song. Definitely one of my favourite Morrissey songs. I was overwhelmed with emotion at the Royal Albert Hall in 2002 when he performed this song. If he'd come on the stage and sung just this song and then left I would have been happy. It slaughters me every time.

I'm crying just thinking of it! I hope I get to see him sing that song live some day, too.

Back
Top Bottom