Morrissey Central "SOON / 2020 new releases" (September 6, 2020)

SouthPaw_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg
YATQ_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg

Both albums issued on BMG Label for the first time, including inner booklets. LP and CD formats.

Both JPGs describe the images as 'gatefold'.
Regards,
FWD.

Cover

It’s a great EP and it tends to be overlooked. The Boxers tour, whilst effectively a Vauxhall showcase, introduced the pugilist aesthetic. Have-a-go-Merchant would’ve sat very well on Southpaw I think.
And if you pick Have a go Merchant, how not to equally throw, Whatever Happens, I love you. Seriously, from this era, there was nothing short than awesome. The transition from Vauxhall into Southpaw was magical.

And if you pick Have a go Merchant, how not to equally throw, Whatever Happens, I love you. Seriously, from this era, there was nothing short than awesome. The transition from Vauxhall into Southpaw was magical.
Yes, we were spoilt back then. In some ways, Morrissey made a rod for his own back by setting the bar impossibly high. Creatively, he seemed in serious danger of eclipsing The Smiths.

It’s a great EP and it tends to be overlooked. The Boxers tour, whilst effectively a Vauxhall showcase, introduced the pugilist aesthetic. Have-a-go-Merchant would’ve sat very well on Southpaw I think.
True. 1993 - 1995 is such a special time in the Morrissey universe, there's really nothing on either side of it that compares. Totally sublime.

Was Boxers not mentioned as being released as an E.P. but it only ended up as a 3 track just like every other release at the time. Surely an E.P. consists of more than 3 songs?

Listened today, save for The Operation it all holds up. And Southpaw is dazzling.
I always liked The Operation but never understood the lyrics, I mean the bit about the tether. I looked it up and see now it is 'tear that's a mile wide'. Well now it clicks. Only took me a quarter century. Hard to believe it's been 25 years since I bought that CD.

You fight with your right hand
And caress with your left hand
Everyone I know is sick to death of you
With a tear that's a mile wide
In the kite that you're flying
Ever since
You don't look the same
You're just not the same, no way
You say clever things and
You never used to
You don't catch what I'm saying
When you're deafened to advice
Everyone here is sick to the
Back teeth of you
Tattoo of you
Ever since
You don't look the same
You say pleasant things and
There is no need to
Still, you fight with your right hand
Ooh, ooh...
Sad to say...
How once I was in love with you
Sad to say...
Ooh, ooh...
Ever since
You don't look the same
What the hell have
They stuck into you?

I always liked The Operation but never understood the lyrics, I mean the bit about the tether. I looked it up and see now it is 'tear that's a mile wide'. Well now it clicks. Only took me a quarter century. Hard to believe it's been 25 years since I bought that CD.

Ever since
You don't look the same
You never used to
Back teeth of you
Tattoo of you
Ever since
You don't look the same
There is no need to
Ooh, ooh...
Sad to say...
Sad to say...
Ooh, ooh...
Ever since
You don't look the same
What the hell have
They stuck into you?

I just worked out that Alma Matters is saying kindness matters, even if you think someone has gone wrong. The pun was confusing me by making me think of mothers & universities & God knows he probably would think of Alma from Coronation Street. 🙃

Ever since
You don't look the same
You never used to
Back teeth of you
Tattoo of you
Ever since
You don't look the same
There is no need to
Ooh, ooh...
Sad to say...
Sad to say...
Ooh, ooh...
Ever since
You don't look the same
What the hell have
They stuck into you?
For me it reads better than it sounds.

Actually, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen the words printed. As a poem, it has quite a poignant ending which hasn’t really impacted on me before.

At the time, it was reported to be about Marr as I recall.

That drum solo is great. It helped create quite an entrance for him on the Oye Esteban tour (plus another more recently I think?).

I bought it on vinyl and CD and MC. And then again on CD. It will have to be something extra special for me to pod out for it again. My dad died last week: I’m left with all of his Jim Reeves records. My dad couldn’t find a way to take his vinyl with him, and I’m recognising my Smiths & Morrissey collection isn’t sailing with me when I cross The Styx.

Was Boxers not mentioned as being released as an E.P. but it only ended up as a 3 track just like every other release at the time. Surely an E.P. consists of more than 3 songs?
I think if it’s a stand alone release, then a three track counts as an E.P.? Effectively, the extension refers to anything additional to a single’s two tracks?

I just worked out that Alma Matters is saying kindness matters, even if you think someone has gone wrong. The pun was confusing me by making me think of mothers & universities & God knows he probably would think of Alma from Coronation Street. 🙃
As I remember, the Maladjusted LP was originally, and wonderfully, to be called Alma Matters. The apparent title change, and the odd artwork, was an inauspicious start for what is (now) my favourite Morrissey album.

? first was announced the reissue of Ring leader, now these two with horrible covers also? I understand the vinyl format, but on CD too?, there were already released cd deluxe editions of those albums if they don't offer something unique (except the horrible covers) no sell...

As I remember, the Maladjusted LP was originally, and wonderfully, to be called Alma Matters. The apparent title change, and the odd artwork, was an inauspicious start for what is (now) my favourite Morrissey album.
It was originally supposed to be called Ambitious Outsiders.

Absolutely. Southpaw is Moz rockish album. After the intimate and personal Vauxhall & I, Moz said it was time to give the spotlight to the band. And so it was. Southpaw is instruments over lyrics/writing. You either love it or hate it. Definitely a personal favourite. Only slightly let down by some poor track choice between the album and the 12' b-sides. My "personal" Southpaw Grammar also includes the stunning You Must Please Remember (unexplainable how it was left out from the Legacy edition) and is one of those records where track order is a priority. Unlike the Legacy edition, no matter what, it must start and end with the 10+ min tracks. They are the soul and glue of this marvel.
Southpaw Grammar - definitive edition
1. The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
2. Reader Meet Author
3. The Boy Racer
4. The Operation
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Fantastic Bird
7. Do Your Best And Don't Worry
8. Best Friend On The Payroll
9. Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
10. You Must Please Remember
11. You Should Have Been Nice To Me
12. Nobody Loves Us
13. Southpaw
Perfect, my version is more or less the same, but without fantastic bird. Just 12 songs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom