South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Re: TTY Update: If I by chance your eye offend you

I sincerly hope Morrissey will play live again when he is perfectly fit and well.

I'll patiently wait for his recovery.

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

He has had quite a few obstacles this year, this man is beyond resilient. He loves to sing, we want to hear him sing, give him space, always wondered why people ask for autographs, pictures, let him have moment in public to himself. I happened to run into one of the band members somewhere, didnt say word to them, it would have been awkward.

Re: Article: South America tour cancelled due to lack of funding - Morrissey statement at true-to-yo

"So utterly English?" The point about Morrissey is his Irish-Englishness, his dislocation like so many other (Irish) immigrants. That is how his lyrics and art are best understood.
As for touring incessantly, Morrissey needs time out, to record a proper album of new songs. It would be a shame that his on/off touring/illness/no new record releases were to be his legacy.

Joe Dolan's Brother, somewhere in D'Ireland.

He talks about Ireland rarely, and even on those occasions makes little sense. One song focusses directly on his Irish heritage, and that was almost a quarter of a century into his career. He's British, (a mildly treacherous one, I concede) or he'd be travelling on a different passport. It wasn't "Take me back to deal old Drogheda", was it?

hahahahahaha tough love haha you sanctimonious f***,
ive heard some justification for spineless drivel but that takes the biscuit.
times running out in your lofty moral high ground, better find some other poor sod to force your unsolicited "tough love" on.

Well it's pretty plain you don't give two f***s, or you might have stopped to wonder for a second why a man selling out huge stadia across Europe and the USA just two decades ago can't get himself arrested today.

Yes men and parasites like you have brought him to his knees.

What will be announced first:

The birth of the Royal Baby by Benny the butcher

or

The engagement of Morrissey to his hairdresser?

Only time will tell

This is heart breaking because the shows that were completed in the US in 2012-2013 were incredible; they were well-attended, and the audience reception was insane. The show in Atlantic City, for example, was one of the highest selling performances that venue ever had; so, he still has such a strong connection with his fanbase. The problem is that these cancellations are going to make it so difficult for him to tour because no promoter will want to touch him, even though most fans, in spite of their initial outbursts here, would still buy tickets. Many important points have been made: first, he needs to get healthier, both physically and emotionally, before he tries to attempt any more shows, and he has to regain his credibility by completing an entire tour with no cancellations, so it needs to be well-planned. He does too many shows, too close together, and all that traveling cannot be good for his health. He has to know by now that we will come to him, just as long as we know he will be there. He also needs to find some renewed inspiration, whether it is working with a new musical partner or renting a small cottage somewhere and taking long, solitary walks so that those beautiful words can flow freely. Although I'm American, it does seem like his best work was accomplished in England, so maybe some time at home is the answer. My biggest concern is that he will just let despair overtake him. The "do nothing" comment is disturbing because that would be an unfitting end to this legacy. Rise from the ashes my beautiful phoenix; remember the last time that you felt this dejected , you gave us "Quarry".

lynnda

I tend to agree with the suggestion of returning home to find inspiration. Ironically, Johnny Marr cited the same impetus for his return to Manchester from Portland to write his recent solo album, when interviewed by John Doran for his 'British Masters' series. Sometimes the best way to find creativity is to go back to it's roots, and I could envision a really wonderful, folk-inspired, quiet nostalgic album from Morrissey, much like Vauxhall but all reflection. This is coming from a third-generation Angeleno, who is intrigued that Morrissey has chosen to make Los Angeles his home for so much of his career & has benefitted having seen him perform twice in the past 2 years. For me it is home, and life is hard enough when you belong here. I speculate there are legal reasons he may not want to take up permanent legal residence in the UK, connected to court decision. Whatever happens, I sincerely hope this isn't the end for Morrissey.

I tend to agree with the suggestion of returning home to find inspiration. Ironically, Johnny Marr cited the same impetus for his return to Manchester from Portland to write his recent solo album, when interviewed by John Doran for his 'British Masters' series. Sometimes the best way to find creativity is to go back to it's roots, and I could envision a really wonderful, folk-inspired, quiet nostalgic album from Morrissey, much like Vauxhall but all reflection. This is coming from a third-generation Angeleno, who is intrigued that Morrissey has chosen to make Los Angeles his home for so much of his career & has benefitted having seen him perform twice in the past 2 years. For me it is home, and life is hard enough when you belong here. I speculate there are legal reasons he may not want to take up permanent legal residence in the UK, connected to court decision. Whatever happens, I sincerely hope this isn't the end for Morrissey.
"folk-inspired, quiet nostalgic album from Morrissey" why on earth would he suddenly find inspiration from folk music?
He prefers to rock out.

He talks about Ireland rarely, and even on those occasions makes little sense. One song focusses directly on his Irish heritage, and that was almost a quarter of a century into his career. He's British, (a mildly treacherous one, I concede) or he'd be travelling on a different passport. It wasn't "Take me back to deal old Drogheda", was it?

Morrissey British? What nonsense. Where do you want to start with Morrissey/The Smiths and Ireland and his Irish/Englishness which have been CONSISTENT over his long career...his pronouncements on the IRA, the Royals, Catholic education in Manchester; the war in Ireland, Oscar Wilde, sleevenotes "my hurling days are over"; 20 parts Crumlin/20 parts Old Trafford; it's Morrissey's inbetweenness as a second-generation Irish man that explains most about him...

Joe Dolan's Brother

My God. It's crazy over here! People are dancing in the streets, and it is impossible to get any form of public transport with taxis, trains and buses being commandeered by revellers as they race towards London from across the nation. Scotland is emptying fast, with the one road out almost impassable already. Air traffic control is offline until further notice and UK airspace has been closed down until the infant is born.

God Save The Queen!

:laughing:

Morrissey British? What nonsense. Where do you want to start with Morrissey/The Smiths and Ireland and his Irish/Englishness which have been CONSISTENT over his long career...his pronouncements on the IRA, the Royals, Catholic education in Manchester; the war in Ireland, Oscar Wilde, sleevenotes "my hurling days are over"; 20 parts Crumlin/20 parts Old Trafford; it's Morrissey's inbetweenness as a second-generation Irish man that explains most about him...

Joe Dolan's Brother

I suppose that's why he's written more songs about Hispanics than Irish.

Where do I want to start? Errr... Let me think. How about his British passport and place of birth?

He can sell out The US and then some. put out a new album worth listening too! Better yet.... Just get The Smith back together and stop being selfish!

I suppose that's why he's written more songs about Hispanics than Irish.

Where do I want to start? Errr... Let me think. How about his British passport and place of birth?

In an interview with Len Brown "Although I’m more Scottish than Morrissey is Irish, I expressed surprise that he’d become increasingly interested in his Celtic background as he grew older. Clearly the forthcoming single ‘Irish Blood English Heart’ confirmed this and, in several recent interviews, he’d even used the Irish expression “jaysus” and expressed admiration for the Dublin singer-songwriter Damien Dempsey.

There had been little mention of Ireland in Morrissey’s early lyrics, apart from his celebration of the great Wilde, but I reminded him that when he’d interviewed Pat Phoenix back in 1985, she’d said, “All of us who are half-Irish… who have the basic Irish… are born with the Celtic twilight in us. That moody Celt, the obvious Celt, stays with us and we never change, whatever our loyalties to the place in which we live.”

What will be announced first:

The birth of the Royal Baby by Benny the butcher

or

The engagement of Morrissey to his hairdresser?

Only time will tell

The royal baby has arrived weighing in at 8lb 6oz at 4.24pm Hoorah ! Champagne all round its a boy I hope the call him Steven Patrick :laughing:

I'm gonna have to make a royal sausage tmrw

Benny-the-happy-Butcher

I`m from Chile and i feel completely sad ...... i bought the ticket to see Morrissey the first day.... i really hope you decide to come back.......

we hate benny the bullshitter t shirts anyone? They're sure to be a bestseller

Never happen ! I have many people who love and follow me on here I've even had a marriage proposal.

A toast ladies and gents ! Raise your glasses to William, Kate and baby prince Steven Patrick Windsor !!!!!!!!

God save the Queen

Benny-the-Butcher

3494982781_4b916717b2.jpg

No money for transport? You could get one of these buses in South America for pennies! Back in the day, the Smiths shuttled all over the UK in a busted-up van or Mercedes...

My God. It's crazy over here! People are dancing in the streets, and it is impossible to get any form of public transport with taxis, trains and buses being commandeered by revellers as they race towards London from across the nation. Scotland is emptying fast, with the one road out almost impassable already. Air traffic control is offline until further notice and UK airspace has been closed down until the infant is born.

God Save The Queen!

Congratulations Johnny !!! Its a boy!!!!! Woooooohh- Hooooooooooo 8lb and 6oz born @ 4.24 pm
Lets all take the rest of the week off for the birth of the baby Prince Steven Patrick Windsor (Its like Christmas I'm gonna be busy tmrw in the shop with people buying beef joints to celebrate)
Well done Kate hope your not to sore.

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1999 der der der der der der

Benny-the-Butcher

In an interview with Len Brown "Although I’m more Scottish than Morrissey is Irish, I expressed surprise that he’d become increasingly interested in his Celtic background as he grew older. Clearly the forthcoming single ‘Irish Blood English Heart’ confirmed this and, in several recent interviews, he’d even used the Irish expression “jaysus” and expressed admiration for the Dublin singer-songwriter Damien Dempsey.

There had been little mention of Ireland in Morrissey’s early lyrics, apart from his celebration of the great Wilde, but I reminded him that when he’d interviewed Pat Phoenix back in 1985, she’d said, “All of us who are half-Irish… who have the basic Irish… are born with the Celtic twilight in us. That moody Celt, the obvious Celt, stays with us and we never change, whatever our loyalties to the place in which we live.”

That's fair enough, but it is a relatively new interest, as the quote concedes. His pro-Irish interests have certainly grown alongside his increased loathing of all things British. I like Damien Dempsey too. Perhaps I'm Irish. Morrissey has spoken often about cows. Perhaps he's a cow.

Congratulations Johnny !!! Its a boy!!!!! Woooooohh- Hooooooooooo 8lb and 6oz born @ 4.24 pm
Lets all take the rest of the week off for the birth of the baby Prince Steven Patrick Windsor (Its like Christmas I'm gonna be busy tmrw in the shop with people buying beef joints to celebrate)
Well done Kate hope your not to sore.

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1999 der der der der der der

Benny-the-Butcher

Congrats to you too Benny. I don't know where you are but down here celebratory bonfires, many of which are at least fifty feet high, have not been built. :thumb:

"...I am informed today that the projected tour of South America is snuffed out, thus euthanized - due, I'm reliably advised, to lack of funding. It's quite easy to sell tickets, yet impossible to transport band and crew from F to G...."

"For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom