Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted reissues

Well Southpaw is confirmed but it is Maladjusted where there are no news at all. It s as if they have forgotten about this one. It is such a gem, i believe. I did not listen to it that much at the beginning because i kept hearing bad things about it but ...wow...it is truly great . One song i wanna mention : trouble loves me. Awesome stuff
Cheers Moz

TRACK LISTING

1. The Boy Racer
2. Do Your Best and Don't Worry
3. Reader Meet Author
4. Honey, You Know Where to Find Me *
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Southpaw
7. Best Friend on the Payroll
8. Fantastic Bird *
9. The Operation
10. The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils
11. You Should Have Been Nice to Me *
12. Nobody Loves Us

I like the idea of opening with "The Boy Racer." If Morrissey really wanted to "re-invent himself" after "Vauxhall & I" with a rock album then "Southpaw Grammar" should have started with a real rocker. It will be interesting to listen to this mix of songs, especially with the lengthier "Southpaw" and "The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils" now in the midst of the album rather than bookending it.

"Nobody Loves Us" seems like a strange choice for the album closer. Typically, they are statement songs of some type. Perhaps he's just saving the best song for last?:)

Oh, one minor gripe: why not include "You Must Please Remember?":confused:

New Southpaw Grammar on Rhino

Anyone buy this new version? If so what is the difference from the original one? It says it is on Rhino Records but I am not sure if that is the case. Can someone help?

Southpaw re-release is now showing on Play.com as a pre-order.
Release date - 20th April

Nothing mentioned bout Maladjusted re-release.
Personally, i couldn't care less anymore. More keen on the new album & b-sides

Re: New Southpaw Grammar on Rhino

Anyone buy this new version? If so what is the difference from the original one? It says it is on Rhino Records but I am not sure if that is the case. Can someone help?

Rhino is a strict reissue of the of "SG." Same cover, tracklisting... There will be what looks to be a U.K. only remastered version with three new songs and "Nobody Loves Us" arriving in April. Looks like we in the U.S. will be getting screwed again.

Guess what...HMV website now says that the release date has been pushed to 27th April 2009. No news about Maladjusted, oh well.....
Cheers Moz

I haven't heard squat! That's why I'm starting to worry.

I've been more excited about these releases than YOR. Especially after hearing YOR and being let down once again.

I think unreleased tracks from earlier era Moz are going to be much better songs than as of late.

I think instead of worrying about spending money on the re-issues, book some time off your stressful office job, and spend a few days in your room with only Years Of Refusal playing on a loop until you realise its genius.

Then after that start worrying about the re-issues..

Last edited:
This post made me laugh -- in a good way. Indeed, indeed.

I think instead of worrying about spending money of the re-issues, book some time off your stressful office job, and spend a few days in your room with only Years Of Refusal playing on a loop until you realise its genius.

I just red this about the new Southpaw Grammar on this ebay auction:

Morrissey has worked closely with us throughout this project, to recreate what he believed to be one of his best albums; this is clearly visible in his extensive personally written liner notes. (...) and previously unseen photographs by Linder Sterling.

Is this old news, the thing with personally written liner notes? Never heard of it before! Exciting!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think instead of worrying about spending money on the re-issues, book some time off your stressful office job, and spend a few days in your room with only Years Of Refusal playing on a loop until you realise its genius.

PLEASE... "Genius?" Sorry, I agree with the other poster, I'm more excited to hear the earlier songs. Back in the days when Morrissey actually gave a damn about the lyrics. YOR is IMO pure bubble gum pop rock glossed over with Morrissey-lite lyrics.

I honestly think in the next few months I'm just going to pick up cheap copies of these two albums (if I get these two, I only need Kill Uncle and ROTT to have all his albums)--can't be arsed to spend too much money on new deluxe editions, especially since it looks like I'd have to import it anyway. I'm not much of a b-sides completist anyway--The Smiths were definitely a singles band, but solo Morrissey has arguably been more of an album artist.

PLEASE... "Genius?" Sorry, I agree with the other poster, I'm more excited to hear the earlier songs. Back in the days when Morrissey actually gave a damn about the lyrics. YOR is IMO pure bubble gum pop rock glossed over with Morrissey-lite lyrics.

Well you're wrong, simply wrong.
Years Of Refusal is a brilliant album, and it seems a lot of people are having a difficult time in dealing with Morrissey changing, stuck in a time for a Morrissey that exists no longer, its apparent at any Morrissey concert when people turn up in The Smiths T-shirts.

YOR is in no way, shape, or slightness bubblegum pop, if so, and Im wrong, Id love to hear of some artists (of the sacred bubblegum genre) that touch anywhere near Morrissey, because in the world I live in Morrissey is quite a distance away from the likes of PINK, and Lily Allen, then again you're right Britney Spear's latest album is a lot like Years Of Refusal :straightface:

I also disagree with your take on the lyrics. And if your trying to say that these lyrics arent as 'DEEP' a term I use with much resistance. Then look at Southpaw Grammar probably some of the more 'basic' lyrics of Morrisseys entire career.

its apparent at any Morrissey concert when people turn up in The Smiths T-shirts.

Does this really bother you? I'm probably going to wear a Smiths shirt to the Chicago concert simply because I think the Salford Lads photo is great.

And I know the solo stuff, especially Arsenal, Vauxhall and Quarry, just as well as the Smiths stuff. I'm really enjoying YoR as well.

Does this really bother you? I'm probably going to wear a Smiths shirt to the Chicago concert simply because I think the Salford Lads photo is great.

And I know the solo stuff, especially Arsenal, Vauxhall and Quarry, just as well as the Smiths stuff. I'm really enjoying YoR as well.

Bothers me immensely, I wake up at night shaking with anger about it, turning over to the cold side of the pillow, Tis also the reason why I have no fingernails.

Well you're wrong, simply wrong.
Years Of Refusal is a brilliant album, and it seems a lot of people are having a difficult time in dealing with Morrissey changing, stuck in a time for a Morrissey that exists no longer, its apparent at any Morrissey concert when people turn up in The Smiths T-shirts.

YOR is in no way, shape, or slightness bubblegum pop, if so, and Im wrong, Id love to hear of some artists (of the sacred bubblegum genre) that touch anywhere near Morrissey, because in the world I live in Morrissey is quite a distance away from the likes of PINK, and Lily Allen, then again you're right Britney Spear's latest album is a lot like Years Of Refusal :straightface:

I also disagree with your take on the lyrics. And if your trying to say that these lyrics arent as 'DEEP' a term I use with much resistance. Then look at Southpaw Grammar probably some of the more 'basic' lyrics of Morrisseys entire career.

Sadly, I would liken this last effort to a "Pink" album. I can no longer see how Morrissey can legitimately defame other "pop stars" for their failure to show intelligence. YOR is a very accessible record, IMO his most. It might open a large new audience to him. For me, it's nearly bereft of any new lyrical ideas and anything touching on the familiar has been done better by Morrissey in the past. What, he throws in a flamenco guitar track and all sins are forgiven?

All this talk of a "genius" album is laughable. If YOR is genius, what are "The Queen is Dead," "Vauxhall & I," or "Your Aresenal?" equally genius? Please. Enough with slapping a genius label on everything this man does. It's a middling album which shows a worrying trend that perhaps Morrissey doesn't have much to say anymore (and yes the same things were said after Southpaw which is why he nearly lost his career and did lose seven years of his life in Los Angeles).

I hope the album charts #1, and I hope Morrissey gets the commercial and critical success he so richly deserves; however I believe it would be utterly ironic if it came from this album when he's created so many wonderful (and sadly overlooked) records in the past.

Tags
linernotes southpaw
Back
Top Bottom