Southpaw Grammar

PaulThePig

Having just spent £15 buying this LP from a sweet, little old man who owns an amazing vinyl shop in Brighton, I have now decided it is my favourite Morrissey album...

Having just spent £15 buying this LP from a sweet, little old man who owns an amazing vinyl shop in Brighton, I have now decided it is my favourite Morrissey album...

For the first 18 months of owning this album; i really didn't like it.
Although over the past couple of weeks i have been listening to it more. I am actually starting to quite like it. :)

Something similar happens to me too. I bought it about six months ago, and played like 5 times..... in total. :rolleyes:

At first I didn't like it too much. I could manage with Reader Meet Author, Southpaw and that may have been just about it. But having listened to it much more lately it has most certainly grown on me. However, it is not my fav Moz album. My favourite would have to be the extended edition of Viva Hate...but the cover to the Viva Hate is shite!

Love PTxx.

Oh that cover is so awful! I remember getting the original copy of Viva Hate and just staring at the cover in amazement. It really is such an amazing picture!

Oh that cover is so awful! I remember getting the original copy of Viva Hate and just staring at the cover in amazement. It really is such an amazing picture!

I bought the extended edition before the original version. I ended up buying the original so that I could have a Viva Hate with a nice cover.

Love PTxx.

this album should be re-released with all its b-sides.

It is probably my most played.

I know music is subjective but "the best Morrissey album?" Really? Can I ask what makes it the best for you?

My disappointments with Southpaw are as follows:

1) The hideous cover
2) The straight to chorus in the The Boy Racer.
3) The grating drum solo on The Operation
4) The weak lyrics to a potentially great song, "Best Friend on the Payroll." I like what he wrote but the lyrics are sparse and repeated over and over.
5) When Dagenham Dave is your first single of an album, oh well enough said.
6) The album clocks in at, what 39 minutes if memory serves me right?
7) Arguably the best song of this period, "Nobody Loves Us," is buried on a B-side.

What I would LOVE to see is a fan's version of the album in which one of our amazing artists re-designs the album artwork to include a Moz photo on the album cover and adds the following songs to the tracklisting: "Honey You Know Where to Find Me, Nobody Loves Us, and You Must Please Remember." Also, an edited version of "The Operation" in which the drum solo is cut out. Actually, I could do all the audio myself but would need help with the cover design and back tracklisting. My attempts would be lame in comparison to what I've seen some members generate here.

Anyone up for this? :)

I feel the same with Maladjusted, as its probably been said by many other members, why the hell did the man keep 'Lost' (the most gorgeous tune from that session period, and one of Mozzer's all time best, IMHO) and 'The Edges are no longer parallel' off the album to be overshadowed by tracks like papa jack, roy's keen, and ambitious outsiders. Sometimes Morrissey makes appalling decisions with tracklistings, and I believe those tracks could have saved the blushes of (on the whole) bad reviews!

Matt

1) The hideous cover
4) The weak lyrics to a potentially great song, "Best Friend on the Payroll." I like what he wrote but the lyrics are sparse and repeated over and over.
7) Arguably the best song of this period, "Nobody Loves Us," is buried on a B-side.

I love the cover and the drum solo(so un-Morrissey at the time)
And i don't think the album's running time is neither here or nor there
(The Beatles' Revolver must be close to that if not shorter)

Agree with you about D dave and Nobody Loves Us though.

I love the cover and the drum solo(so un-Morrissey at the time)
And i don't think the album's running time is neither here or nor there
(The Beatles' Revolver must be close to that if not shorter)

All of the Beatles' albums clocked in at about 39 minutes (14, sometimes 13 songs, averaging under 3:00) except Abbey Road (and The Beatles, of course), IIRC. But please, good as it is, let's not compare Southpaw Grammar to any Beatles' albums...it would be so unfair.

All of the Beatles' albums clocked in at about 39 minutes (14, sometimes 13 songs, averaging under 3:00) except Abbey Road (and The Beatles, of course), IIRC. But please, good as it is, let's not compare Southpaw Grammar to any Beatles' albums...it would be so unfair.

I was going to say in my previous post that I wasn't too sure about Revolver's running time but i knew a man who would .
And,hey presto ! there you are ! :)

I'm not comparing the quality of the two just thought a short running time doesn't necessarily mean a poor quality album

I know music is subjective but "the best Morrissey album?" Really? Can I ask what makes it the best for you?

1) The hideous cover

What I would LOVE to see is a fan's version of the album in which one of our amazing artists re-designs the album artwork to include a Moz photo on the album cover and adds the following songs to the tracklisting: "Honey You Know Where to Find Me, Nobody Loves Us, and You Must Please Remember." Also, an edited version of "The Operation" in which the drum solo is cut out. Actually, I could do all the audio myself but would need help with the cover design and back tracklisting. My attempts would be lame in comparison to what I've seen some members generate here.

I did not say I thought it to be his best. I said: It is probably my most played.

I'd also rather focus on the positive.

I did not say I thought it to be his best. I said: It is probably my most played.

I'd also rather focus on the positive.

Easy champ, I'm wasn't trying to go off on you. But as you can see, I have my own "pent up" emotions regarding "Southpaw." Your post was simply the one that made me go temporarily insane...

As for focusing on the positive. That's well and good, but when I think Moz does something brilliant I praise him, when I feel think he's done wrong I'll call him on it. Personally, I think he'd appreciate a fan who thinks for himself.

Easy champ, I'm wasn't trying to go off on you. But as you can see, I have my own "pent up" emotions regarding "Southpaw." Your post was simply the one that made me go temporarily insane...

As for focusing on the positive. That's well and good, but when I think Moz does something brilliant I praise him, when I feel think he's done wrong I'll call him on it. Personally, I think he'd appreciate a fan who thinks for himself.

Vauxhall & I is probably his best solo album but I reserve the right to change my mind daily.

'Honey You Know Where to Find Me', 'Nobody Loves Us', and 'You Must Please Remember' are all excellent songs.

I follow Glasgow Celtic. One thing that I can never understand and it constantly irritates me is why supporters spend so much time doing just the opposite. My time for moaning about Celtic is not at the game or outside the family. The public domain of the internet isn't the forum for that, not for me. That is a philosophy I thought of by myself. Perhaps we could continue this conversation in private at a Morrissey gathering.

Back
Top Bottom