specific elements in music

• Thread starter Deleted member 25370
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25370

sometimes there are specific musical elements in a song or an artist or a band's or artist's ouevre or a performance that stick out, are original or unique or rarely seen or heard.

here is a place to collect and highlight and appreciate or hate them (if your negativity makes you feel alive) in their singularity.

not sure though, if or how much there can be said. but i am curious whether anything else comes up.

so, i am an enthusiast of the so-called motorik drum beat which can be found in a few krautrock pieces, but, as i have just learned in the video below, it was also earlier employed by the stooges, in a rougher way.

i cant hear the autobahn in the motorik drum beat, or a heavy train, but to my ears it comes closest to what it means when you are "in the flow" of things, like on a sailboat, driven forward by natural energy, and are working or making progress in a productive way without any unnecessary distraction.

would like to know if there are any more recent songs that employ the motorik drum beat.

video by offbeat on yt.

btw, lieberzeit is pronounced like "leebah-tzite".

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the complete hallogallo driven forward by a motorik drum beat on white vinyl...

sometimes there are specific musical elements in a song or an artist or a band's or artist's ouevre or a performance that stick out, are original or unique or rarely seen or heard.

here is a place to collect and highlight and appreciate or hate them (if your negativity makes you feel alive) in their singularity.

not sure though, if or how much there can be said. but i am curious whether anything else comes up.

so, i am an enthusiast of the so-called motorik drum beat which can be found in a few krautrock pieces, but, as i have just learned in the video below, it was also earlier employed by the stooges, in a rougher way.

i cant hear the autobahn in the motorik drum beat, or a heavy train, but to my ears it comes closest to what it means when you are "in the flow" of things, like on a sailboat, driven forward by natural energy, and are working or making progress in a productive way without any unnecessary distraction.

would like to know if there are any more recent songs that employ the motorik drum beat.

video by offbeat on yt.

but to my ears it comes closest to what it means when you are "in the flow" of things, like on a sailboat, driven forward by natural energy, and are working or making progress in a productive way without any unnecessary distraction.’

:thumb:

Like music that’s called ‘drone’ or those longer hypnotic pieces of ethnic folk classical, ragas, etc .. the sound of eternity, a beat or vibe that seems to have no beginning or end. Where did the ‘’motorik beat’ come from? Maybe from Picasso being influenced by a piece of African art, and so on. Kraftwerk replacing a drummer with a machine, could be a punk move on their part, not wanting to do what’s gone before.

video by offbeat on yt.

You should return to your perfect school english cause I didn't understand much of this drivel. Have we been smoking the jazz tobacco or did a fake Halle bullet swerve your way?

When it comes to aggro and hate and negative feelings and comments you seem to have completely blocked out your own outbursts which tells me you live in denial.

Who wouldn't though being a spinster with cats.

Krautrock he said and they all went huh?

This is the only krautrock band of note in this modern age:

But the drumbeat is not exclusive for krautrock. If the genre was once a wide artistic expression it cooked down to something much more elitistic in the past 10 years.

Don't eat too much sauerkraut now cause it has this effect on you which is a bit like shrooms.

Reminds me of how Hannett wasn't pleased with the drum sound and created the Joy Division style of drumming which of course in turn was inspired by that drumbeat discussed here.

@countthree @Ketamine Sun
as i can see, you are, yet, the only contributors to this thread. hope, that there are some more ideas comin' in.
and ket, i like your idea about the "punk move" by kraftwerk when replacing the machine for the human. i think they were internationally more successful than the krautrockers as they were feeding and playing with the stereotype of the efficient but robot-like, unemotional german, something the krautrockers tried to distance themselves from. rammstein's success shows that this marketing strategy is still appealing to international audiences today.
here is the stooges song which is mentioned in the video:

i wouldnt be able to detect a clear and constant motorik drum beat in it.

i had some difficulties finding a name for what i like in particular in this 1974 song by the former gdr band city, called "am fenster" (at the window).

let's call it the folksy violin, that one can hear throughout the song. i find it very entrancing. it is played coll'arco and around min. 3:40 to appr. 5:30 also partly pizzicato, if i am not incorrect, which is in itself also a longer violin solo, i dont know from any other pop song. it is atmospherically accompanying and lending weight to the lamenting lyrics.
the violinist is georgi gogow from bulgaria who was at that time experimenting with bulgarian folk music.

i think there is something similar to be heard in "i thought you were dead" even though i can't really pick out just one single violin. sounds first like an electronic image of a string instrument which later turns into a "real" violin.

This is what my brain must look like all day, every day.

my convictions are strong.

and i'd never have discovered them w/o the INFLUENCE of Steve.

Make mischief not war.

okay, i can accept the "steve influence" as a specific element.

as they were feeding and playing with the stereotype of the efficient but robot-like, unemotional german

Yes, I could definitely see that. But they also wrote catchy songs.

Neu and (Damo Suzuki period) CAN are my favorite of the so called krautrockers, the very early Kraftwerk stuff is also really interesting.

I like the idea of this thread, but for me it’s usually all the parts that make the whole of the song is what I like about songs that I always go back to to listen and re-listen. And usually it’s very difficult to impossible to put into words why a song moves one the way it does.

Also Raw Power and Fun House are easily the best Stooges albums. What a sound on those.
know what you mean, thats how i tend to listen to music. but if humankind wants to progress, they have to go different ways once inna while, methinks.
so, yeah, this thread is supposed to be not about discovering and presenting songs, but to distill and crystallize yet unspecified features or elements out of it, to attune the ears to them in a different manner, to discover something newly perceived as beautiful or special in the long-known which is pining away in a stagnant swamp of admiration .
i should write a manifesto. it"s all about close listening, and it might change the world.

it"s all about close listening, and it might change the world.

Well, that’s close to, or a kind of meditation. Might not change the world
overnight, but it’ll certainly change your world in that moment. And if one believes, as they should, that there is no past or future, that there is only the moment, then, you are on the right path.

Om

:)

i had to escape the sunshine and warmth today which is, once again, celebrating itself, this time its decline, applauded by the vapid worshippers of exposed skin area who are dutifully licking their icecream. it's like those couples who drink sparkling wine from morning till night, because they are depressed with what they have, and that's why they want to call it a party, come hell or high water, as if on honeymoon, unable or unwilling to react properly to the emotional decline.
we are in limbo, weatherwise, it's neither summer nor winter nor fall nor spring, but these people simply cannot discern nor adjust to the grey zones of life. i have difficulties too. plus, climate change has thrown in some more formerly unknown combinations of weather elements and strange weather sequences extended over a number of days. it's mind-boggling when you actually allow yourself to notice it.
but all they see, is the accepted seasonal norm that they were given a name for by their parents once, who talked to them in baby language. everything else simply does not exist.

i suddenly remembered this talking heads song and its drum beat while dragging myself home, my spirits clinging to the underside of my shoe soles, tired despite or because of it all:

there are four punches, four-four time, every fourth tact. i watched a live video to see where it actually comes from and it seems the drummer is hitting something on his left side, but i cant see which drum it is exactly. it's the repeated punches that make the song go on. we hope that these punches, extracted from the full sound machine, have the power to chip off the gravity of a "summer's" day.

the video is remarkable in itself, especially when the camera is behind the stage. it shows how exposed the musicians are, their vulnerability, all blinded by the lights and the audience's screams, not knowing what's going on behind their backs. they are in limbo inbetween two zones of existence, as if cut in two halves. the close-up shot of david byrne's handsome face which is almost flooded by the black background amplifies this impression. maybe it's an allegory for a life spent with show biz which represents the darkness or nothingness that encompasses all and that the musicians are trying to wring some sparkles of light from.

i had to escape the sunshine and warmth today which is, once again, celebrating itself, this time its decline, applauded by the vapid worshippers of exposed skin area who are dutifully licking their icecream. it's like those couples who drink sparkling wine from morning till night, because they are depressed with what they have, and that's why they want to call it a party, come hell or high water, as if on honeymoon, unable or unwilling to react properly to the emotional decline.
we are in limbo, weatherwise, it's neither summer nor winter nor fall nor spring, but these people simply cannot discern nor adjust to the grey zones of life. i have difficulties too. plus, climate change has thrown in some more formerly unknown combinations of weather elements and strange weather sequences extended over a number of days. it's mind-boggling when you actually allow yourself to notice it.
but all they see, is the accepted seasonal norm that they were given a name for by their parents once, who talked to them in baby language. everything else simply does not exist.

i suddenly remembered this talking heads song and its drum beat while dragging myself home, my spirits clinging to the underside of my shoe soles, tired despite or because of it all:

there are four punches, four-four time, every fourth tact. i watched a live video to see where it actually comes from and it seems the drummer is hitting something on his left side, but i cant see which drum it is exactly. it's the repeated punches that make the song go on. we hope that these punches, extracted from the full sound machine, have the power to chip off the gravity of a "summer's" day.

the video is remarkable in itself, especially when the camera is behind the stage. it shows how exposed the musicians are, their vulnerability, all blinded by the lights and the audience's screams, not knowing what's going on behind their backs. they are in limbo inbetween two zones of existence, as if cut in two halves. the close-up shot of david byrne's handsome face which is almost flooded by the black background amplifies this impression. maybe it's an allegory for a life spent with show biz which represents the darkness or nothingness that encompasses all and that the musicians are trying to wring some sparkles of light from.

LOL

You really are the most stupid person on this board. Can you please tell me more about the climate change and how most places are colder than normal with a lot of natural rain for the season.

And your outlook on life makes me come across as upbeat. f***ing hell how depressing you are. Please could the mods label it dangerous to read cause f*** me I'm not depressed at all come to think of it.

And in what way does that have anything to do with the music?

LOL LOL LOL insane in the membrane. Go abroad and live a little and leave the tent and fantasies at home.

Deary deary me!

Back
Top Bottom