"Spent The Day In Bed" - enters UK top 40 (airplay)

UPDATE 13TH OCTOBER - the song is now in the Airplay Top 30 (at #29)

'Spent the Day in Bed' has climbed 279 places up the UK airplay chart to 34 over the last week (Oct 5th to 11th). His first UK top 40 since 'I'm throwing my arms around Paris'. This rapid ascent is due to the Radio 2 A-list to which it was added this week. It's a rolling chart so the song will probably continue to climb until Saturday. It may boost the single's position a little in the actual chart but the airplay mainly acts as an advert for the album. As mentioned before, this would normally all be timed to happen a week or two before the album comes out so it's odd that there's a month to go - maybe there will be another song released between now and then.

Last edited:
But is the airplay chart placing high enough to actually get him on the Official Chart? They come out out tomorrow, yes? Or Sunday?

Still in the UK Viral 50:

https://spotifycharts.com/viral/gb/daily/latest

Pales in comparison to your online content legacy, I know...

The 'viral' chart you refer to is an industry hype, it's just another form of Payola. A very strange chart that claims a song is 'viral' yet nobody is listening to it on the actual Spotify Top 200. It is Fake News, a fake chart constructed by Spotify and the Big Music corporations to try and shift their crap. Without any analytics to support this claim, your comment is dismissed.

Have a nice day, salaryman.

It's now climbed into the top 30 of the UK airplay chart. A pretty impressive feat considering it would seem that there are many better songs on the album. If two of the stronger songs are subsequently released as singles, and do equally well with airplay, this could go on to be one of his biggest selling albums.

More nonsense.
The 'many better songs on the album' aren't available for airplay! Ludicrous comment. Unless you think the radio stations should be playing the live versions?

It will certainly be impressive if this crock of shite becomes 'one of his biggest selling albums'....I very much doubt it but understand why the cult carry on praying for miracles.

Doubt it will appear in the official charts. New Order released 4 singles off Music Complete, not one charted but the album went straight in at number 2.

Someone mentioned this a while back...but Brummie ignored it as it contradicted his argument.

I still don't understand why anybody would care. It is meaningless. The only issue is whether the album is any good or not. Very few people buy anything put out by David Ford, The Decemberists et al yet their albums are consistently brilliant.

Morrissey and his backers are only really interested in bums on seats...that's where the money is at.

Someone mentioned this a while back...but Brummie ignored it as it contradicted his argument.
I still don't understand why anybody would care. It is meaningless. The only issue is whether the album is any good or not. Very few people buy anything put out by David Ford, The Decemberists et al yet their albums are consistently brilliant.
Morrissey and his backers are only really interested in bums on seats...that's where the money is at.

If Morrissey was happy with a record deal that the likes of David Ford and the Decemberists have, it wouldn't matter at all. He would be fine with albums that sell in tiny quantities, and he could release new ones as often as he liked e.g. every year or two. But he isn't. He feels (however deludedly) that he is a major commercial act, and requires record deals that reflect this status. So when his albums are relative commercial flops (e.g. Maladjusted, YOR) we end up having to wait years and years for the next one. So if you want Morrissey to keep putting out albums relatively frequently, album sales really do matter. I'm guessing that if this one eventually shifts 100,000 in the UK, he'll be OK. If it stalls at 40,000 again, he won't.
And good point about New Order. The same applies to all acts of that era, and more recent ones. Singles chart positions are virtually irrelevant but songs on the radio are what drive album sales.

If Morrissey was happy with a record deal that the likes of David Ford and the Decemberists have, it wouldn't matter at all. He would be fine with albums that sell in tiny quantities, and he could release new ones as often as he liked e.g. every year or two. But he isn't. He feels (however deludedly) that he is a major commercial act, and requires record deals that reflect this status. So when his albums are relative commercial flops (e.g. Maladjusted, YOR) we end up having to wait years and years for the next one. So if you want Morrissey to keep putting out albums relatively frequently, album sales really do matter. I'm guessing that if this one eventually shifts 100,000 in the UK, he'll be OK. If it stalls at 40,000 again, he won't.
And good point about New Order. The same applies to all acts of that era, and more recent ones. Singles chart positions are virtually irrelevant but songs on the radio are what drive album sales.

"Singles chart positions are virtually irrelevant"

But the higher up the charts it gets the more airplay/coverage/interest. And as you said, that's what drives album sales. Chart positions really aren't irrelevant.

More nonsense.
The 'many better songs on the album' aren't available for airplay! Ludicrous comment. Unless you think the radio stations should be playing the live versions? .

Oh dear - this is hard work. For the benefit of the dim-witted, what this means is that we know there are much better songs on the album (than 'Spent the Day') that can be released in the future as singles.

Oh dear - this is hard work. For the benefit of the dim-witted, what this means is that we know there are much better songs on the album (than 'Spent the Day') that can be released in the future as singles.

Who is 'we'? Have MORI done a poll asking the UK public which unreleased songs should be released as future singles? Or is it the voices in your head telling you? You're the dim-wit. Stop talking shite.

"Morrissey and his backers are only really interested in bums on seats...that's where the money is at"

That's certainly true if he has signed a "360" contract with BMG. If so, they won't be happy if future gigs/tours are abandoned/cancelled.

No, I haven't ignored it. I have referenced the sales figures of LIHS as the definitive data on whether or not this project is a success. As for nobody caring about charts, well, Morrissey does. He is obsessed with them and if he doesn't sell well he will have another tantrum. Which will be hilarious to watch.

The issue is Morrissey has claimed there is some kind of 'conspiracy' to stop the public hearing his music. Given it's now available for free on Spotify but nobody is listening, we must await the next level of conspiracy as to how 'they' are stopping 'clueless consumers' from noticing his music is available to stream for free.

There is no conspiracy. If he had returned with a song as powerful as 'FOTGTD' he would be in the singles chart. He released a silly filler album track that sounds like a Supertramp out-take and the British public just nodded and moved on...I won't be shocked if they do the same with the album.

I think we can agree that BMG must be on LSD to sign a 360 with Morrissey.

Nice about the amazon sales. For the record the decemberists the king is dead went no 1 here in the u.s selling ninety something thousand there first week so it's not exactly like no ones buying there records

I must admit that this song has grown on me quite a bit, after being horrified upon first listen.

I imagine there is much dancing and chanting in Morrissey's world.

"We're #29! We're # 29! We're #29!"

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom