Spike T Smith - "Meat Is Murder" drum playthrough video

Cool - nice snare sound. Is this actually footage from a gig when Spike was in the band, or is this him now, playing along with the track (I presume the later?)

An anonymous person sends the link to the details in the post by Spike T Smith / Facebook:

Excerpt:

Now that my birthday shenanigans are well behind me here's my first drum vid posting for 2016. I've written a bit of info below too as I know some will be interested but you don't have to read it. Please check the vid out though & feel free to share aswell.

Last year was the 30th anniversary of The Smiths Iconic album Meat Is Murder & when I joined Morrisseys band in 99 to begin the Oye Estaban tour it would be the first time he would include the title track to be performed live since the days with his former band. For some reason whilst learning the song we were given free reign to interperet it in our own way & put our own stamp on it so to speak, which isn't always an easy thing when a song is so established & you are been given no guidance (Morrissey wasn't at any of our U.K rehearsals as we were working on the songs for the set)...

Last edited:

An anonymous person sends the link to the details in the post by Spike T Smith / Facebook:

Excerpt:

Now that my birthday shenanigans are well behind me here's my first drum vid posting for 2016. I've written a bit of info below too as I know some will be interested but you don't have to read it. Please check the vid out though & feel free to share aswell.

Last year was the 30th anniversary of The Smiths Iconic album Meat Is Murder & when I joined Morrisseys band in 99 to begin the Oye Estaban tour it would be the first time he would include the title track to be performed live since the days with his former band. For some reason whilst learning the song we were given free reign to interperet it in our own way & put our own stamp on it so to speak, which isn't always an easy thing when a song is so established & you are been given no guidance (Morrissey wasn't at any of our U.K rehearsals as we were working on the songs for the set)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool - nice snare sound. Is this actually footage from a gig when Spike was in the band, or is this him now, playing along with the track (I presume the later?)

Whole kit sounds great. Good job!

I'd also like to know the context of this footage.

Whole kit sounds great. Good job!

I'd also like to know the context of this footage.
In his Facebook post (which David linked to above) Spike explains that he's playing along to a live recording from the Oye Esteban tour. The video was recorded very recently.

In his Facebook post (which David linked to above) Spike explains that he's playing along to a live recording from the Oye Esteban tour. The video was recorded very recently.

Aha! Got it. Great thanks...

Found this bit interesting:
"Morrissey wasn't at any of our U.K rehearsals as we were working on the songs for the set..."

Found this bit interesting:
"Morrissey wasn't at any of our U.K rehearsals as we were working on the songs for the set..."

I can't imagine he'd be there while they're coming up with the arrangements for songs they haven't played before. Although it's a rather important element of the live show, he trusts Boz with it - and it's not as if Morrissey can suggest much in the way of changes to a riff. He rehearses with them minimally when the arrangements have been worked out and probably tells Boz anything he doesn't like then.

So, may I surmise that Spike is a vegetarian?

Oh for f***'s sake - how about we just talk about music?
Before you know it Bennie and f***ing Brummie Boy will be shitting all over this thread as usual...

Oh for f***'s sake - how about we just talk about music?
Before you know it Bennie and f***ing Brummie Boy will be shitting all over this thread as usual...

You rang !
Now now Vulvas ! I was happy sitting in the wings waiting for our Steve to 4ck up and make his next move on here by proxy through the zine TTY but once again all ya'll need is Benny ! Well here I am ! Well here I am ! Oh well I guess yer all now so pleased !

For what it's worth I enjoyed Spikes drumming clip but that said ! Nobody does it better than the main man who thunk it up in the first place ! Step forward Sir Mike Joyce.

I'll be back ! As soon as Silly Steve makes his next stoopid statement, until then yer gonna miss me while I'm gone.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

You rang !
Now now Vulvas ! I was happy sitting in the wings waiting for our Steve to 4ck up and make his next move on here by proxy through the zine TTY but once again all ya'll need is Benny ! Well here I am ! Well here I am ! Oh well I guess yer all now so pleased !

For what it's worth I enjoyed Spikes drumming clip but that said ! Nobody does it better than the main man who thunk it up in the first place ! Step forward Sir Mike Joyce.

I'll be back ! As soon as Silly Steve makes his next stoopid statement, until then yer gonna miss me while I'm gone.

Listening to Spike, it becomes pretty clear of what a limited drummer Mike Joyce was. Let's just put it this way, if Spike is a 10, Joyce is a 2.

Listening to Spike, it becomes pretty clear of what a limited drummer Mike Joyce was. Let's just put it this way, if Spike is a 10, Joyce is a 2.

Joyce's drumming does what it has to for the smiths' music. Nothing special, but then I don't think it was ever meant to be anything more that that. I'm pretty sure Marr wrote the percussion anyway. I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Joyce's drumming does what it has to for the smiths' music. Nothing special, but then I don't think it was ever meant to be anything more that that. I'm pretty sure Marr wrote the percussion anyway. I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise.

You rang !

Funny how wankers like this 'Velvis' complain when we comment, but when we don't they're still absolutely fixated on us. Who's got the problem?

best
BB

Funny how wankers like this 'Velvis' complain when we comment, but when we don't they're still absolutely fixated on us. Who's got the problem?

best
BB

They can't live with or without us ! All they need is us ! They hate us cause we're successful !

Hope your doing very well

They can't live with or without us ! All they need is us ! They hate us cause we're successful !

Hope your doing very well

Benny-the-British-Butcher 

Was very shocked by how much Bowie's passing affected me. Took a full 2 weeks to process, wasn't in the mood to deal with the nonsense here. Didn't you just know Trollissey would wait for another death to troll Bowie? He's a total ghoul. Thank Christ for small mercies, Bowie was briefly fooled by the Stretford Pseud then came to his senses as others did. Some think I was sent here from BowieNet but that's crazy. Almost as mad as those who think Bowie was on here joining in #DebunkMorrissey ..........LOL!

BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom