Steve Morrissey's new covers album - what do we know about it so far?

A

Anonymous

Various scraps of info have been released or leaked to date.
Let's bring them all together:
  • There are 12 songs
  • The regular band were holed up in the studio for 3 weeks with Joe Chiccarelli producing
  • One song appears to be a Tim Buckley cover with an orchestral arrangement (photo of the sheet music)
  • One might be a Klaus Nomi song (a cover by Steve has been registered on a website)
  • Two songs feature a lady called LP. We don't know if they're her songs but one might presume they're probably not
  • He might have covered Run Powell Run by Laurel Aitkin as the original record sleeve is currently on Morrissey Central website
  • We know he's recorded Back on the Chain Gang
So that is 6 songs out of the 12 potentially accounted for, although LP could potentially feature on two of the other songs above, meaning 4 might be known about.

Any more info?

Sounds like a mess which means it could become a classic!

All it needs now is a song featuring ABBA and Roxette and the bookcase Billy from IKEA and we can all eat his meatballs.

That reminds me I need to call my dealer!

There's a sousaphone on one (or more) of the tracks, and it's been described as 'heavy.' The track, not the sousaphone.

Oh, and presumably the name "Steve" isn't going to be on the album cover. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Bossanova rock and roll with a touch of influences from Tahiti behind a wall of sound we recognise from Rammstein.

It's going to be a hit!

There's no real evidence that the 'Morrissey Chile' IG account has anymore insight in to the potential album contents than anyone else.
The Ramones could be a guess based on recent events. Elvis too.
So let's not go too mad.
The Klaus report cites PRS, but of course: no screen shot, link or solid proof.
The person wonders why they are not believed when they make more effort to comment here than provide a simple bit of evidence - so pinch of salt...
They could all pan out, but healthy scepticism and all that...
FWD.

Last edited:
My original concern was that this was going to be nothing but a covers version of "This is Morrissey." In other words, all covers we've either heard live or as b-sides. We still don't know a lot but it's not looking like a rehashing of old covers.

Some have commented that they hope it's not chock full of obscure songs nobody knows. I'm OK with that as long as they're good songs, obviously, they mean something personal to Morrissey... so it could work out well.

I guess I'm just hoping this breathes some new life into his music both now and for what's to come.

Last edited:
Fact 1 The album is going to be short ( Buckley 2 mns)
Fact 2 People have spelling problems with it : Laurel Aitken , Der Nussbaum

People will be surprised by how good this new album is. Others will be extremely upset by how good it is.

whatever it is we are getting twelve new songs to get us through the winter months,as long as the voice is upfront in the mix like the last two albums I will be happy.if its being released in November it could be as little as seven weeks away.

whatever it is we are getting twelve new songs to get us through the winter months,as long as the voice is upfront in the mix like the last two albums I will be happy.if its being released in November it could be as little as seven weeks away.
Imagine what it would take to get us through the awful summer months.

*shrug*

Various scraps of info have been released or leaked to date.
Let's bring them all together:
  • There are 12 songs
  • The regular band were holed up in the studio for 3 weeks with Joe Chiccarelli producing
  • One song appears to be a Tim Buckley cover with an orchestral arrangement (photo of the sheet music)
  • One might be a Klaus Nomi song (a cover by Steve has been registered on a website)
  • Two songs feature a lady called LP. We don't know if they're her songs but one might presume they're probably not
  • He might have covered Run Powell Run by Laurel Aitkin as the original record sleeve is currently on Morrissey Central website
  • We know he's recorded Back on the Chain Gang
So that is 6 songs out of the 12 potentially accounted for, although LP could potentially feature on two of the other songs above, meaning 4 might be known about.

Any more info?

So what's the latest news on this? Think we have a release date for 'Chain Gang'. Anything else?

I forgot that Manning was around! Who else is in the payroll?

Back
Top Bottom