"Steven" - unauthorized biopic covering Morrissey's pre-Smiths life by Mark Gill to begin shooting

Arthur sends the scan from The Hollywood Reporter (May 16, 2014 issue):

steven.jpg

Morrissey the Movie
One of the most unique - and oblique - figures in music is about to get a biopic and, like him, a highly unusual one. The unauthorized film Steven - the first name of former Smiths' leader Morrissey - will cover the pre-Smiths life of the depressive poetic bisexual vegetarian, growing up in bleak Manchester, England, and his triumph over an alienated childhood to become the cult star he is today. (The singer, 54, is on tour, playing the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on May 10.) It will be helmed by Mark Gill, the British writer-director of the Oscar-nominated short The Voorman Problem. Producers include Orian Williams (Control, Big Sur), who clearly has a thing for biopics: His current one is on The Who's late manager Kit Lambert. Shooting will begin on Steven at year's end.

UPDATE May 9:

Years of Refusal: Morrissey Biopic to Focus on Singer's Early Life - Rolling Stone

Excerpt:

"The film covers Morrissey's life pre-Smiths and is more of a portrait than a conventional biopic," Gill said in a statement. "It's as much a film for non-Morrissey fans as it is for die-hard devotees, but I can't deny that this is a love letter to Steven Patrick Morrissey and the dark satanic mills of Manchester."

UPDATE May 12:

Morrissey biopic 'Steven' in the works - Los Angeles Times

Excerpt:

Whether Morrissey will be involved with the project is not yet known. The singer did recently share his own take on his life story via a 464-page memoir, "Autobiography," released last year.

...Baldwin Li and Orian Williams are producing the movie, which is scheduled to start shooting later this year. Williams' credits include "Control," Anton Corbijn's 2007 biographical film about Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, another Manchester musician.

Also includes a link to the official announcement by Honlodge Productions:

‘Steven’ – Morrissey Biopic
THE OSCAR-NOMINATED TEAM BEHIND THE VOORMAN PROBLEM ANNOUNCE MORRISSEY BIOPIC

Last edited:
Re: "Steven" - unauthorized biopic covering Morrissey's pre-Smiths life by Mark Gill to begin shooti

I see Morrissey's fist hitting a large wooden table over this...

Re: "Steven" - unauthorized biopic covering Morrissey's pre-Smiths life by Mark Gill to begin shooti

I worked at a bookstore for eleven years, I think I can manage to shelve this.

I wonder if they even asked Morrissey? I can see a true-to-you message looming in the works :D

How dare he. I will be making the Morrissey biopic one day hopefully in the not too distant future but it will be done with consultation from the man himself... hopefully. The opening credits could be interesting.

A film about Morrissey directed by a Marr...

And then complain about it! that actor was terrible! that graveyard didn't have enough graves! Why is James Maker a love interest? I can see it now :D

I wonder if they are going to put in the scene where Jackie shoves Ponds cold cream up his nose and Nanny tries to remedy the situation with pepper. I should probably write some of the scenes since I get Moz and can comprehend his writing. Oh well.

I want to write the scene with Simon Topping breaking the news that his mother disapproves of their friendship (Simon Topping's mama is such a dumb judgmental bitch!)

We're all going to watch it.
oh yes we will.......somehow, somewhere.

This sounds like a fantastic idea. Not.

I'd imagine Morrissey's disapproval and, possibly, some trouble getting the music rights. It's pre-Smiths yes, so maybe that's their idea and they therefore don't have to worry about such things. Anyone who read Autobiography can recall how beautifully he captured all his musical epiphanies when growing up. To capture such ideas on screen would be amazing.

Yes I agree marred . Moz has showed on several interviews that he hates being called Steven and now to do a film by that name ?????? looks like someone is on "get rich while Moz is (somewhat) hot " pay out .

Last edited:

Yes I agree marred . Moz has showed on several interviews that he hates being called Steven and now to do a film by that name ?????? looks like someone is on "get rich while Moz is (somewhat) hot " pay out .

Yes Guernie, it definitely smells of "riding coat tails of book sales" :)

I can't wait to see this movie. An authorized biopic would be rubbish.

Morrissey biopic 'Steven' in the works - Los Angeles Times

Excerpt:

Whether Morrissey will be involved with the project is not yet known. The singer did recently share his own take on his life story via a 464-page memoir, "Autobiography," released last year.

...Baldwin Li and Orian Williams are producing the movie, which is scheduled to start shooting later this year. Williams' credits include "Control," Anton Corbijn's 2007 biographical film about Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, another Manchester musician.

Also includes a link to the official announcement by Honlodge Productions:

‘Steven’ – Morrissey Biopic
THE OSCAR-NOMINATED TEAM BEHIND THE VOORMAN PROBLEM ANNOUNCE MORRISSEY BIOPIC

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom