Stranded on a Desert Island: (Which Morrissey album do you take?)

If you are including Johnny written material then The Queen is Dead is the only choice.
Post Smiths would be Southpaw if I could make it a 10 song album and include Sunny and Nobody Loves Us, otherwise Your Arsenal.

Your Arsenal

"You are the Quarry." I can't live with "Camden" and "Irish Blood, English Heart."

You mean you can't live without them don't you? :)

btw for me it's Bona Drag. Also does this desert island have a stereo?

You mean you can't live without them don't you? :)

btw for me it's Bona Drag. Also does this desert island have a stereo?

No. You have a vinyl record and you have to fashion a needle out of a rock and than turn it by hand, putting your ear very close to the album in order to hear.

At least that's how I interpreted the question. Otherwise my answer would be totally different.

Why hasn't it even gone silver (60k sales) then in the UK after more than 22 years.

That's very odd. I had never noticed that before. That means Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar, and Years of Refusal all outsold Your Arsenal and only World Peace Is None of Your Business and Maladjusted sold roughly the same or less. :eek:

I find that really very odd. Not that sales mean anything, but my understanding was that he was near the height of his popularity during this period.

Why hasn't it even gone silver (60k sales) then in the UK after more than 22 years.

do they use the same numbers for silver gold platinum in the u.k? sales dont indicate the quality of a record. thats like saying everyone has superb music taste just look at what theyre buying. its clearly his opinion since hes the one saying it

do they use the same numbers for silver gold platinum in the u.k? sales dont indicate the quality of a record. thats like saying everyone has superb music taste just look at what theyre buying. its clearly his opinion since hes the one saying it

I looked on wikipedia and than checked the database of the British Phonographic Institute or whoever certifies album in the UK. He is correct. Your Arsenal has not been certified as silver. Only three studio Morrissey albums did not receive any certification at all--Your Arsenal, Maladjusted, World Peace Is None of Your Business.

I find that really odd since given the soundscan figures for the US for Morrissey that track sales from 92-07 that float around the internet (who knows if they are accurate) Your Arsenal sold upwards of 366K in the US (and only two of his albums are certified by the RIAA--Viva Hate and Bona Drag--though I have some questions about RIAA certification for both Morrissey and the Smiths).

Morrissey's public image was at a bit of a low in the UK when Your Arsenal came out, because Kill Uncle had been so poorly received and because he had been giving interviews with opinions on race relations and the state of pop music which lost him part of his audience. Your Arsenal was a critical success and a step on his way back to commercial success, but I think a lot of people who had previously bought his records just weren't interested at that point.

youd think it would have sold more than that since though with all the retroactive hype

You know what, if I got sent to that island right now it'd be World Peace Is None Of Your Business! My love for that album is growing exponentially with every listen :)

I literally have Istanbul on loop on the bus to class every morning!

eclectic and strong and loaded with ready wit....its weird though cause i have at this point no idea how this albums gonna go down in history with the fanbase

Back
Top Bottom