Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Re: this is england '88 - smiths-a-plenty

Malcolm in the Middle joins in the 'Morrissey-bashing' fun. If u want to really hurt someone just name Morrissey while insulting them. See 2:48

[video]http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=KUko6aGD6zwE[/video]

I'm reading a fascinating book on word origins call The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth, came across this. How Now Is Now?

o74tah.jpg

P.

Re: Strange / unexpected Morrissey / Smiths references

I'm reading a fascinating book on word origins call The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth, came across this. How Now Is Now?

o74tah.jpg

P.

Have you watched Channel 4 News tonight?
At the end of the programme interview of the author Mark Forsyth was featured.

The segment also mentioned that sales of celebrity memoirs / autobiographies have been decreased.

Morrissey's autobiography, if it's published in the latter half of 2012, set against the trend.
Hopefully it will turn out to be favourable to him.

Last edited:

Listening on Christmas Eve (Sat 24th Dec 11am) to a joint broadcast on Radio 5 LIve and BBC 6Music of Fighting Talk which is (usually) a BBC Radio 5Live programme where panellists talk about mostly sport-related questions in an alleged humourous and light-hearted bantering kind of way.

Anyway due to the time of year the powers that be in the SBC (Salford Broadcasting Corporation) decided to have a sports/ music special. Panellists included ex-footballer and all round indie expert Pat Nevin, ex-Sunday Sport editorTony Livesey, DJ Steve Lamacq and the bloke who does BBC6 Music Breakfast Show. Live band were the Kasier Chiefs

Two specific mentions of Morrissey (and/or The Smiths) I heard included Steve Lamacq's answer to the question "who have you fallen out of love?" Predictably enough his answer was, Morrissey, citing that his solo career has been one long 20 year sulk and his Glastonbury performance started brilliantly before tailing off into mediocrity.

A later question was "who/ what do you regard like Marmite?" (You either like them or hate them) Tony Livesey retold an account of a Smiths gig he attended at Lancaster University where he met the politest skinhead who challenged him to a fight but he had gone off the Smiths after their early stuff (said he liked This Charming Man and Jeane) to which the presenter of the show the smug, nauseating tw8t Colin Murray (MOTD2 presenter) agreed with him.

Probably on I-player till Saturday and worth a listen just for Pat Nevin recounting playing Half Man Half Biscuit's All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit in the Chelsea dressing room

Does anyone watch Eggheads right now?

CJ said that when he was having a break of shooting the programme, Morrissey approached and introduced him in Glasgow!

I have to watch it again.

*EDIT*

You can watch it from iplayer 11:00 just before the third round (geography contestant vs Barry).

Last edited:

In an interview with rising rock band from Dublin, The Minutes, by Stereoboard, singer Mark tells how guitarist Tom was influenced by The Smiths:

...Myself and Shane came from listening to his father’s Beatles records to listening to Thin Lizzy and Nirvana together, while Tom was brought up on a strict diet of The Smiths. His big bro had a mean influence on him...
- http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/169697/9

Here he is teaching you how to play This Charming Man! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXayfgb8vw

I missed the middle episode of This Is England '88. Will it be repeated? After watching A Room for Romeo Brass in which the Milky character, Andrew Shim, also stars as a child - it was made in 1999 - which I found head and shoulders above most viewing material, Shane Meadows sustains quality. Powerful stuff negotiating the 'ditches and the flat greys in between...'

Have you seen the episode yet? I recorded it in December and watched it last night. Excellent episode and the finale embodies emotions we've all felt albeit in a dramatic fashion, (nicely soundtracked too; if you get whet I mean!) Think Shane Meadows must have been a big fan in his teens

BBC 6 Music Steve Lamacq is playing Bowie's cover of I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, preceeding his 65th birthday celebration on 8 January.

Have you seen the episode yet? I recorded it in December and watched it last night. Excellent episode and the finale embodies emotions we've all felt albeit in a dramatic fashion, (nicely soundtracked too; if you get whet I mean!) Think Shane Meadows must have been a big fan in his teens

Shane Meadows is indeed a known Smiths fan. Not only for the soundtrack but also for the realist emotional depiction of a group of 'ordinary' young people in the English '80s, would the series be of much interest to most people who like Morrissey.

The good news is that Channel 4 online, 4oD, will continue to host the three episodes of the recent 2nd series of This Is England '88 for one more week - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this-is-england/4od

And Shane Meadows has rounded up media interviews on his website - http://www.shanemeadows.co.uk/

Re: Who Put the 'M' in Manchester?

Manchester is RED :cool:.

...and we all know what Mozzer's preference will be tomorrow ;).

Oh, and there's no likeness whatsoever.

Manchester is RED :cool:.

...and we all know what Mozzer's preference will be tomorrow ;).

Oh, and there's no likeness whatsoever.

^^^^^ :thumb:

Hello to Michelle and a big hello to JJ if you happen to be reading.
See you there tomorrow.

20,000 empty seats, etc, etc, etc :guitar:

Last edited:

Ho dayum, you gonna git baaaaaaaaaaanned! :p

Oh Crystal, we already know the bulk of people here are humorless! Hey, Hitler looks like Moz as much as Mancini does.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom