Strange/unexpected Moz references?

'Sweet' {if a little obvious} surprise while watching an early BBC doc on Alexander McQueen...

...with his poor old Mum reading through his school report cards.

'Sweet' {if a little obvious} surprise while watching an early BBC doc on Alexander McQueen...

...with his poor old Mum reading through his school report cards.

Funnily enough I was thinking there was similarities between them - both being depressed & causing shock & outrage. Moz is probably still with us because music has nooks & crannies, high fashion is a lot of money & a lot of exposure.

í was forensically studying the Davalos cover and comparing hairlines, foreheads and nostril shadows, at 3am {god help me}, and decided ~ No Dick. It must just be Stephen's wrinkles. Apologies for getting excited.

If you do not find that letter, you shall be severely spanked with a wet plimsoll...

You've probably seen this already but here's the replica of said promo shirt...

I thought Twitter had let John Lydon supporting Trump & Brexit pass it by, but someone has gone slightly viral giving him a kicking. He's the carer for his dying wife but butter commercial.

Moz comes up (as ever). Him flirting with the National Front in real life, as opposed to singing a song about it, is a thing.

Well, I hope Conor is happy with his metrics. 🙄

View attachment 59439

View attachment 59440

View attachment 59441

It's been quite interesting to see large chunks of the white male mid-life media mafia on twitter react to the Lydon stuff. Alot of it is now running along the lines of 'these artistic geniuses aren't like us' 'they are special people, let them be' 'he's a legend', 'he's had a terrible life that most people can't imagine, have some respect', 'don't stop taking the PiLs' Etc.
Not agreeing with his views at all, but making the clear delineation between his artistic and cultural worth, and his personal worth.

í cannot think of a single journo of the old brigade who did that with Morrissey. Not one. Now, is that because Morrissey's 'crimes' are way worse than Lydon's. í don't see how. So why so? Alot of people are reliving the hatred of their youth, and it's just payback time, big time, but even the ones that said they loved him never offer the footnotes and apologies as they do with Lydon. Is it maybe cos Lydon's schtick was always hate and anger, so what do you expect? Whereas Morrissey's schtick was, according to them, the opposite? Dunno. But í think Origin Moz & Origin Rotten are more closely allied than most people assume. There is real anger there, and rooted in the same sensitive Irish working class exclusion; it just mainfested itself a little differently...

It's been quite interesting to see large chunks of the white male mid-life media mafia on twitter react to the Lydon stuff. Alot of it is now running along the lines of 'these artistic geniuses aren't like us' 'they are special people, let them be' 'he's a legend', 'he's had a terrible life that most people can't imagine, have some respect', 'don't stop taking the PiLs' Etc.
Not agreeing with his views at all, but making the clear delineation between his artistic and cultural worth, and his personal worth.

í cannot think of a single journo of the old brigade who did that with Morrissey. Not one. Now, is that because Morrissey's 'crimes' are way worse than Lydon's. í don't see how. So why so? Alot of people are reliving the hatred of their youth, and it's just payback time, big time, but even the ones that said they loved him never offer the footnotes and apologies as they do with Lydon. Is it maybe cos Lydon's schtick was always hate and anger, so what do you expect? Whereas Morrissey's schtick was, according to them, the opposite? Dunno. But í think Origin Moz & Origin Rotten are more closely allied than most people assume. There is real anger there, and rooted in the same sensitive Irish working class exclusion; it just mainfested itself a little differently...

Moz really isn't like them.

I honestly believe that abandoning Moz, or worse, joining in with the monstering is going to be stain on their reputations.

Some tried a wee bit on Twitter, but got overwhelmed. From Pingate to the T-shirt the pile-ons were relentless.

And by Twitter's logic if you defend a racist, you ARE a racist.

I've got a note of the switherers, the silents & the disclaimers, who might be encouraged back into the pro-Moz camp.

Also the betrayers. Who get eternal stink-eye.

"í've got a little list" Etc

"í've got a little list" Etc

Jon Savage is definitely on it.

What did he RT for Moz? A tweet from a fake SJW attacking Morrissey for his age, looks & sexuality.

20200514_182029.jpg

What does he RT for Lydon?

20200929_184457.jpg

20200929_184513.jpg

Owen wrote an inaccurate bollocks essay about Moz long after Lyndon had been sporting the t-shirt that they've only noticed because of a viral tweet - fingers on the cultural pulse. 🙄

They should read this book on the dynamics of showing off how good you are by punishing deviants.

Plus - people are not bad because they've left London. They don't become tainted with foreign. 🙄

20200929_192418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In summary, the thing í cannot abide about ALL of these old farts {with the possible exception of Paul Morley, who doesn't even 'do' Pop anymore ~ so the boys all hate him now} is their relationship with the idea of The Fan.

They despise and demean them, 'girls & geeks', and all they think that they represent, and cannot countenance the notion of anything worthwhile or legit being within 'fandom'.
And yet, they will purport to fandom when it suits them or their cause {see Hatherley above}.
They are intellectual pygmy scum.
To quote Byron.

LP Moz talk..."badass" {drinker}, "insane poet...insane writer...live and let live", Etc. Now, let me just ask you about Céline Dion~

Cocteau's classic 1949 film "Orphée" (Orpheus), which is used as cover art on the This Charming Man single, is currently in rotation on TCM (Turner Classis Movies)

1601560481466.png

First time I read about the NME bullshit regarding National Front Disco I thought I got it wrong and they were talking about a different song. The narrative was always so clearly anti-NF to me.

The story he tells in the song and the way he incorporated the NF slogan remind me of a very popular song (released in December 1992) by a German left-leaning punk band, that also deals with a boy who becomes a neo-nazi. The difference is that it blatantly mocks the boy, something Morrissey avoided.
The song uses very explicit language (including the n-word!) but it caused no controversy at all. In fact it was a big hit, newspapers printed the lyrics and they performed it on TV a couple of times.

What annoys me is that it changed his style - he didn't layer viewpoints so much after that because England for the English was ripped out of context.

What annoys me is that it changed his style - he didn't layer viewpoints so much after that because England for the English was ripped out of context.
I don't think that's true, actually.
He did change the focus of his writing after Your Arsenal, turning inwards, concentrating more on his emotional life, but I believe that had more to do with changes in his personal life than the backlash he had to face after the NME story. There were still multiple layers in his lyrics, just different themes. Maladjusted for example has some of the most "layered" songs of his career.

I don't think that's true, actually.
He did change the focus of his writing after Your Arsenal, turning inwards, concentrating more on his emotional life, but I believe that had more to do with changes in his personal life than the backlash he had to face after the NME story. There were still multiple layers in his lyrics, just different themes. Maladjusted for example has some of the most "layered" songs of his career.

He did mention it though - so I think it is something he thought about.

He did mention it though - so I think it is something he thought about.

Oh, it definitely was on his mind, I don't doubt that. But there was so much going on in his life in 1993 (both good and bad), so I think that had a bigger impact on his work.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom