Strange/unexpected Moz references?

For when your favourite jackboots just give you the pip, relax into something a little more comfy casual...

View attachment 59594

Smiths sandshoes? Pretty clatty.

I have 'Still' and 'Ill' written in silver marker on the back of my jackboots. Does that make me a fascist?

Moz Marr Golden Wonder.jpg

Morrissey {Golden Wondering} ~ "...Smoky Bacon?...í hope he's not planning to kiss me with those lips"

Plus...is that a sack falling out of Morrissey's pocket? Or is he just pleased to see him...

Much to my surprise, I ran across one today in an art textbook ("Living With Art," 6th ed.), in amongst the Leonardos, Van Goghs, Japanese woodcuts, and Greek statues:

mozart.jpg

Yes, it's really about the artist/designer who created the image, but....Where is the most unexpected place you've seen or heard a Morrissey reference?
I was travelling through Smiths Falls, Ontario, very early in the morning, and I really had to use the euphemism. The only thing open was, I'm afraid, a Burger King. Went in, and what should someone be playing on the stereo in the place but the MEAT IS MURDER album? It was on WELL I WONDER. I don't know if the title track was played.

(Placed here as Morrissey mentioned instead of other music).

"Listen to this! Bradford return with new single and album news"

Excerpt:

"Thirty years ago, a young Northern skinhead band named Bradford from Blackburn were heralded by Morrissey as ‘the’ band to blaze a trail in English indie music following the demise of the Smiths.

Producer Stephen Street (Blur/New Order/ Kaiser Chiefs), who had just come off the back of an extremely successful collaboration with Morrissey on his early solo recordings, immediately signed the band to his brand new Foundation label. With the backing of such key players, the scene was set for Bradford and iconic titles of the day soon joined rank to praise Bradford’s: “intelligent and distinctive, finely crafted pop songs.” (Sounds, May 1988)."

Regards,
FWD.

(Placed here as Morrissey mentioned instead of other music).

"Listen to this! Bradford return with new single and album news"

Excerpt:

"Thirty years ago, a young Northern skinhead band named Bradford from Blackburn were heralded by Morrissey as ‘the’ band to blaze a trail in English indie music following the demise of the Smiths.

Producer Stephen Street (Blur/New Order/ Kaiser Chiefs), who had just come off the back of an extremely successful collaboration with Morrissey on his early solo recordings, immediately signed the band to his brand new Foundation label. With the backing of such key players, the scene was set for Bradford and iconic titles of the day soon joined rank to praise Bradford’s: “intelligent and distinctive, finely crafted pop songs.” (Sounds, May 1988)."

Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey is still mentioned in the first paragraph of their Wikipedia entry as well. 😁

"The band is best known for being liked by Morrissey, who proclaimed them heirs to the Smiths throne."

Related (haven't listened to it though, it's not available online yet)

Cocteau's classic 1949 film "Orphée" (Orpheus), which is used as cover art on the This Charming Man single, is currently in rotation on TCM (Turner Classis Movies)

View attachment 59564

I had always thought Orpheus was on the floor being reflected in a mirror, but after watching the film, I learned that he is lying on the sand being reflected in a small pool of water.

'Official' emulating a Far Out post from 2 days ago. The story had been done to death, so wasn't posted.
FWD.

During Plague Time Lloyd Cole has set up a Patreon page, and has been posting lots of nice things from his basement archive ~ from notebooks, lyric sheets, photos, guitar lessons to mini-concerts Etc. It's quite fab.

To-day he unearthed a wee notebook that he tagged as 'Pop Life circa 1985' ~

LC 1985 notebook.jpg

~ with the following explanatory note:

"No ideas what those numbers refer to.

Not worried about posting Mozza's phone number - he changed it at least 3 times in the year that I knew him. I had to call his PA each time to get the new one. The third time I tired of it. He sent me postcard saying - you never call!

I would have done...

Don't think I went to the Albert Hall Fashion Aid thing, in the end
."

Also posted a lyric sheet for "James" a song from "Easy Pieces", and the notebook genesis of the lyric.

LC James lyric sheet.jpg

~ with the following comment:

"I should have known that not everything was completely kosher with Morrissey when he told me this was the best thing I'd ever done.

Ah, fond memories.

As most of you know, I regard this entire song as a mistake, but it was an earnest and naive one. I really thought we were making something like Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner meets a Tom Waits track, but our DNA was all wrong to even try. Oh, well...
"

~ ~ ~​

It would be cute if SPM did something archival like this. Just like it would be cute if í were to wed Rooney Mara...

NB {for Mr Cole} ~ Would you follow and know / Know me more than you do / Track me down / And try to win me...

Last edited:
During Plague Time Lloyd Cole has set up a Patreon page, and has been posting lots of nice things from his basement archive ~ from notebooks, lyric sheets, photos, guitar lessons to mini-concerts Etc. It's quite fab.

To-day he unearthed a wee notebook that he tagged as 'Pop Life circa 1985' ~

View attachment 59768

~ with the following explanatory note:

"No ideas what those numbers refer to.

Not worried about posting Mozza's phone number - he changed it at least 3 times in the year that I knew him. I had to call his PA each time to get the new one. The third time I tired of it. He sent me postcard saying - you never call!

I would have done...

Don't think I went to the Albert Hall Fashion Aid thing, in the end
."

Also posted a lyric sheet for "James" a song from "Easy Pieces", and the notebook genesis of the lyric.

View attachment 59769

~ with the following comment:

"I should have known that not everything was completely kosher with Morrissey when he told me this was the best thing I'd ever done.

Ah, fond memories.

As most of you know, I regard this entire song as a mistake, but it was an earnest and naive one. I really thought we were making something like Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner meets a Tom Waits track, but our DNA was all wrong to even try. Oh, well...
"

~ ~ ~​

It would be cute if SPM did something archival like this. Just like it would be cute if í were to wed Rooney Mara...

NB {for Mr Cole} ~ Would you follow and know / Know me more than you do / Track me down / And try to win me...

“Not worried about posting Mozza's phone number - he changed it at least 3 times in the year that I knew him. I had to call his PA each time to get the new one. The third time I tired of it. He sent me postcard saying - you never call!”

:lbf:

Metropolis: Spain (1985) (Very rare) Spanish TV Clip Potted history, translated Interview & film of the band walking around Madrid
Video donated by Stefan Sahlander.
Formerly the www.shopliftersunion.com webmaster

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom